Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Armed with printouts from the Park Tools website, I set out to tune up my rear derailleur a couple of nights ago. First, I adjusted the H,L, and B limit screws with no problems.

I then turned my attention to the indexing adjustment. I have trigger shifters and my downshifting had been problematic for a while now; I had to give a little extra push on the lever after downshifting to help it into gear. I followed the directions carefully and came to a point where I could tune either the upshift or downshift via the barrel adjusters, but could not get the bike to shift up and down properly.

I decided that the inner wire did not seem to be riding properly, so I took the cable off and lubed the casing sections. While sliding the rearmost section back and forth to work in the lube, I discovered a hesitation in the movement of the inner wire. Removing the casing revealed a single broken wire strand that was hanging up. I unwound it and snipped it at the front end of the cable and then replaced the casing sections and reinstalled the cable.

Bada-bing! My baby started shifting perfectly! I took her off the stand and went for a test ride around the neighborhood to make sure all was well. Everything went just right. I went out for my first ride of 2009 today and she was a slick-shifting dream.

I love the feeling of accomplishment that comes with completing a job and getting positive results. I am new to MTN bike riding, so there is plenty for me to learn. I'm glad that there are resources out there like the Park site to help me along. I just wish I could get a manual for my bike like the Haynes manual I have for my truck.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
nice job!
yeah fixin your own sh!t is a great feelin' - keep it up and soon you'll be able to tackle anything on the bike:thumbsup:
do you know what was the cause of the frayed cable? bad cut in the housing at a cable stop? if so, make sure that gets remedied so it doesn't happen again - if that is the case.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
highdelll said:
nice job!
yeah fixin your own sh!t is a great feelin' - keep it up and soon you'll be able to tackle anything on the bike:thumbsup:
do you know what was the cause of the frayed cable? bad cut in the housing at a cable stop? if so, make sure that gets remedied so it doesn't happen again - if that is the case.
Thanks for the tip! I don't know what caused the problem, but I plan to replace the cable and housing in the near future. I just wanted to get on the road for the time being and will address the problem correctly soon.

·
Doctor
264 Posts
Most excellent! :thumbsup:

I'm having the same issue w/XTR med-cage RD and XTR dual-control levers. (I use the rapid-rise RD) If I adjust so it rises crisply when I snap the lever, it then is reluctant at times to go to a smaller cog unless I "over-reach" w/the lever momentarily. (Remember, this is rapid-rise). It's the same with SRAM chains or XTR/DuraAce. I replaced the cables/housings (XTR) - same performance. I've tried different loop radii in the cable at the RD.

I've ordered a Park tool to check out the hanger. If it's straight, then I may even try a Rollamajig (I'm not joking, I've one in the garage). I'm even considering a switch to SRAM. A $3K ('04 Epic) bike and it shifts worse than my '85 Ritchey Ascent! :madman:

Is it too much to expect perfect shifting from the almighty XTR drivetrain?

jeff

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noodletips said:
Most excellent! :thumbsup:

I'm having the same issue w/XTR med-cage RD and XTR dual-control levers. (I use the rapid-rise RD) If I adjust so it rises crisply when I snap the lever, it then is reluctant at times to go to a smaller cog unless I "over-reach" w/the lever momentarily. (Remember, this is rapid-rise). It's the same with SRAM chains or XTR/DuraAce. I replaced the cables/housings (XTR) - same performance. I've tried different loop radii in the cable at the RD.

I've ordered a Park tool to check out the hanger. If it's straight, then I may even try a Rollamajig (I'm not joking, I've one in the garage). I'm even considering a switch to SRAM. A $3K ('04 Epic) bike and it shifts worse than my '85 Ritchey Ascent! :madman:

Is it too much to expect perfect shifting from the almighty XTR drivetrain?

jeff
I wish I knew more about that shift system so that I might offer some words of advice. It sounds to my nonprofessional self like there could be an issue in the shifter mechanism. I hope it is a hanger issue as it would be a shame for such a high end part to perform incorrectly.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FBinNY said:
Congratulations on a fine first effort. My only suggestion is to purchase a new gear wire and set it aside to be replaced the next time you need to work on the bike.
I definitely plan to do so. I just wanted to be able to ride in the short term.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.