Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was going through my old bike parts pile and thought I should make a singlespeed. Thought itd be fun.

My original idea was to use a regular MTB crank and make it a 3 speed, i figured itd be neat Then I realized I didnt get rid of anything, I still have a derailer and brakes...

So I decided to go full on fixed gear, no brakes. I used a old freewheel, took it apart and welded it together, then I used the 5th gear (14T) screwed it on, screwed on the freewheel and called it good.

The front I used a old BMX ring (36T) and a old 1 piece crank.

With it finished I really like it, something different. Im going to sand it down and paint the whole thing black. Just to make it less stealable and a little cool ;)

I have a cheapie walmart suspension fork on it, I planned on going rigid, but figured I have it and might as well use it.

I plan on using the bike for ridign rain and crappy weather when I dont want my FS getting water in the cables and that. Also for riding to school, so no one steal my good bike.

the first 3 pics are of the bike, the last is my "collection"

Attachments

·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I had it laying around, the best frame I had that I could mess with. That frame had over 1500miles on it. The rear rim came from the top of the line schwinn at Walmart and the front came from some other bike I cant remember. The fork is a walmart special too. I was going to go rigid, but I figured I wanted the bike the be comfortable, so I got a set of BIG riser bars going on there and the fork lifts the front a lot.

Im gonna paint the whole thing black, so itll be cool. :D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
good job. and some advise

how are you keeping the freewheel from unscrewing on the hub? welding? Loctite? Prayer and good thoughts?
If the hub unscrews when you're "braking" with your legs, better hope there isn't any traffic in your way.
Daredevil NYC bike messengers in dreadlocks smoking cigarettes while they ride notwithstanding, I would strongly urge you to hook up at least a front brake. Even if you are very skilled at braking via the pedals. If the chain derails or breaks, the freewheel unscrews, your pants leg gets caught in the chainring, etc etc you will be able to think back to my advise and thank me for it. good karma for me, keep you out of the emergency room.
That's a reason gear for a fixer, 66.8 gear inches. 65" is the defacto standard for folks who train on fixers,mostly. so you're right in there. get much above 70" and the question is "why bother" since you're not being forced to spin as much.

·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bulC said:
how are you keeping the freewheel from unscrewing on the hub? welding? Loctite? Prayer and good thoughts?
If the hub unscrews when you're "braking" with your legs, better hope there isn't any traffic in your way.
Daredevil NYC bike messengers in dreadlocks smoking cigarettes while they ride notwithstanding, I would strongly urge you to hook up at least a front brake. Even if you are very skilled at braking via the pedals. If the chain derails or breaks, the freewheel unscrews, your pants leg gets caught in the chainring, etc etc you will be able to think back to my advise and thank me for it. good karma for me, keep you out of the emergency room.
That's a reason gear for a fixer, 66.8 gear inches. 65" is the defacto standard for folks who train on fixers,mostly. so you're right in there. get much above 70" and the question is "why bother" since you're not being forced to spin as much.
Im not sure what ill do to keep the gear from coming off, I took held the crank from moving and turned the wheel as much as I could. I dont think that its gonna come off too easily. The bike is just going to be for putting around and maybe a ride into town every now and then, so I dont think that brakes are really needed. Thats the main reason I made a fixed gear, I dont want brakes to mess with.

Surprised me gear is a good one. Its the only single chainring I had laying around and the best rear gear I had that wasnt worn. Good luck on my part I guess. Ill update this with paint sometime. I just got done laying the primer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts