Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to keep this from getting to be an incredibly long entry, I might gloss over some details. Those that want more, let me know. The server is too busy at present, so I'll load some pics later.

The alarm clock went off at 3:45 a.m. Bad enough. Unfortunately I started getting nervous the night before, so even though I got into bed at 9:30 or so, I didn't fall asleep that early. I remember watching reading the numbers 10:00, 10:3o, 10:45, etc. until a little before midnight. Was too nervous to sleep in the car on the way up either. So, I was tired, but amped.

We met up with the rest of the gang at the BP station at 5 a.m. When the Blankenship mobile rolled into the lot I had to laugh at the way Karen and Renee were squashed under piles of camp tents and other gear. Got a pic, which will be posted here along with others.

The caravan arrived at Lick Fork Recreation center (go ahead and laugh - I do every time I say it out loud) a little after eight a.m., after two potty breaks and one juice purchasing mission. It was chilly as we started setting up the pop-up, getting the bikes out and getting clothing ready. We all discussed sleeve length and whether or not to wear tights. I went with long sleeves and shorts as I didn't want to have to change out of tights so early on.

Thankfully the powers that be decided to forego the Lemans start, cuz I was NOT looking forward to running. We took off to cowbells at 10. I stayed in the back, where I wanted to be, as I didn't want to have to deal with too much passing by team riders early on. Rode a goodly bit of my first lap in front of a couple doing the event on a tandem. They ROCKED. Got into a groove and just rode.

Rode the first two laps without stopping. Was great to be cheered on by spectators and team riders not yet undertaking their first laps. Cowbells rang out at the finish line each time you neared and the folks keeping track of the numbers going by were cheerful and sweet. I chatted with folks as I went by and smiled a whole lot when woo-hoos, whistles and clapping were directed at me.

Took only short breaks after the second lap and the third. Went out too hard, big mistake. Came in after my fourth lap looking like death warmed over according to Jeff. I rested for 30 minutes and went out for lap five.

The trail was great, no major technical challenges, but the entire trail portion was a rooty ride. Meaning there was no real relief. When you weren't working the legs on a climb, you were working the wrists, forearms and upper arms going over the roots. You could pick lines, and you did, even on an FS, but you couldn't bypass the rooty nature of the trail.

I took one spill on the final rock garden climb and scraped up my knee and got a nice bruise on my shin, but it didn't stop me from grinning like an idiot. Lap 5 wasn't as good as laps 1-3, but was better than lap 4. But I started feeling sick at the end of that fifth lap, sick to my stomach, and realized a longer break was going to be necessary.

Stopped for an hour, hit the bathrooms, tried to fuel up with solids and liquids. Headed out for lap 6 just before 5 p.m. Appendages felt good. Stomach wasn't sure it wanted to be in league with the appendages. Had to stop once and, I'll put it as nicely as possible, empty my stomach. But I finished the lap around 5:45. I knew it was my last lap. I changed into my street clothes, collapsed into a chair and smiled.

I made goals before the race and revised some of them quickly. I overestimated the number of laps I'd get in but I managed to hit the average speed I'd set as a goal dead on. The course was a little over 8 miles, 5.5 trail, 1.5 gravel and paved road. Here's the synopsis:

Stopped for good just before 6 p.m. - Time active in event = 8 hours.
Actual riding time = 5:51
Laps completed = 6
Mile completed = 48.8
Average speed = 8.4 mph (I'd set a goal between 8-9 mph)
Except for the zombie appearance after the 4th lap, I smiled and laughed the entire time
I never once got cranky, weepy or emotional (well, see note following)

To finish this long rant, I'm really proud of myself. Before this event the most I'd rode in one day was 41 miles (road ride on slicks) and the most trail time I'd managed was around 30 miles on a given day. I rode with folks who are classified as experts while I can only be classified as a beginner. I rode some rooty drops, log crossings and sandy turns that would have scared me even three months ago. And I had a wonderful time. And the only time I felt weepy was when I saw how proud my husband was of me. How proud he was and how awesome he was to support me in this on our 6th wedding anniversary. Yep...on the day I rode 48.8 miles Jeff and I celebrated six years of marriage.

Thanks to everyone who told me I could do it. I know there are things I can do to ensure I get 60+ miles in at my next event at Tsail in five weeks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me see if I can get some pics posted now...here are the girls squished in the car. We took the chairs off of them and stored them in our bigger ride.

Attachments

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Nice write-up, Mallie. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

I've been supporting my GF at 24 hour of Moab for the last couple of years (she calls me her pit-b!tch :eek: ). Sounds like you had a great time and acheived some of your goals in the process.

Kudos!

FRC

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Brownie...

Actually it was my first endurance race ever, solo or otherwise. I wanted to see how far I could push myself.

·
Registered
329 Posts
congratulations! sounds like you had a great time. it's important to know what your goals are for a race. also very important is to decide on your definition of failure. my failure def'n is usually not showing up. then i will always suceed! after that, you can have a bunch of different goals.

can't wait to hear about the next one and the 50+ miles!

·
Homegrown
143 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like you had a great time and accomplished your goals! These reports are the reason I keep coming back to the Lounge - inspiration to push myself a little further every time I ride!

Congrats on a great accomplishment, and Happy Anniversary!

SheFly

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to embarrass Tammy

...but if you really want to get inspired you definitely need to check out her blog and some of her articles at her site. She's a trooper, a very smart lady, and one of the most sweet and supportive women you could ever hope to befriend. I can't wait to have her at my next endurance event, because she's an inspiration on and off the bike. Her link's in her signature. Check it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.