Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Rolling on 650b
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished putting my first light together and taking beamshots. It's 4 xpg r4's driven by a variable output buckpuck up to 1000ma, powered by 6 18650 cells.

Thanks to Troutie, sdnative, El34, and odtexas for parts, inspiration, and the general knowledge they share with the group!

Used 1"x2" aluminum I finned on my table saw.

Glued the led's to the front, wired them up, them glued on the front piece. Cut off bottom of front to let those lumens out - Trout's inspiration at work.

Mounted switch, potentiometer, and power wire in back, and glued on aluminum sides.

Cell's mounted in holder from sdnative, then holder put in small hardshell camera bag. Mounted bag to bike with velcro.

Mounted light to bike using Marwi mount.

And finally - BEAMSHOTS!
First is the Light and Motion solo I've been riding with the for past couple years. I've been using a nitehawk k2 emitter as a backup, but it recently blew up. I wasn't happy with it anyhow, and its death prompted this build. As I just finished the build today, I can't say how well it performs on the trail, but judging from what I've seen it ought to be great!
Next two shots are my XPG light, one angled slightly down, and the other pointing more up the trail.

There it is. Beamshot photos taken at iso 100, f4, 6.5 seconds exposure (couldn't do 6)

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Welcome to the DIY board.

Nice work there CPA.:thumbsup:

Looks like you took a little knowledge from alot of places and built a winner.

Can't believe how bad that 4x of yours make the Solo look.... Gotta love this DIY thing.....

· Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
Nice. You know, the thing with doing a first build with multiple XP-Gs is, you don't need to do another light. You're done. I mean, what have you got there, 1400 lumens and a perfect beam?

But you will build another. You're thinking about it right now. We know.

JZ

· Rolling on 650b
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's neater. Is that just solder overflowing from one board to the next? I'm not sure my hands are steady enough to get my soldering iron in there. Of course, the iron I'm using may be all wrong, but its what I had.
Was hoping to get out on the trails this coming Tuesday and see how the light works in the field, but we got more than a few inches of snow yesterday. Don't know if the trails will be ride-able or not.

· Rolling on 650b
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally had a chance to ride with the light! It makes a great mountain bike light with those optics, just a nice, even wall of light. Rode for about two hours the other night, with the light on high most of the time, and couldn't feel any warmth to the light. It was 28 degrees out, so that had something to do with it. Plenty of throw for the mostly singletrack riding we were doing, but seemed fine for the short fire-road stretches too. Only light that came close to it in brightness in our group was a Magicshine, but that had quite a hot spot in the center of the beam and not nearly as much spread. I didn't have to turn on my helmet light at all. I would definitely use those optics again, especially considering they were about a buck a piece.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.