Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm on my way home this morning and my riding buddies and I stop next to a car straddling the left turn only and thru traffic lanes at a red light. I didn't give it much thought and rode away in the bike lane when the light turned green. As I started moving, I hear a horn behind me, and then the same car passes me within inches. It was close enough to reach out and touch the roof. I'm pissed and sprint off after the guy, hoping to catch him at the next light. For reasons unknown to me, the driver stopped in the middle of the road, between the double yellow lines, where one of my buddies gets in front of him and starts screaming. The driver then attempted a 3-point turn, bashing the curb in the process. Now, he's just stopped, blocking the lane, completely incoherent, mumbling something about just getting up. I started taking pictures of himself and the car as they coaxed him to park correctly. He gets out, and can barely stand up. As my friends were dealing with him, I made a wreckless driver complaint to SJPD and requested an officer on the scene. After what seemed like and eternity, two cruisers show up. One of the officers took a statement from me, interviewed the driver, and then asked me if I felt his actions were dangerous enough to warrant a citizen's arrest. I answered in the affirmative, and he said "That's all I need to know," and sent us on our way.

We got lucky. He wasn't freaking out or belligerent. I wouldn't recommend doing this on your own or in a less populated setting.

Score one for cyclists.

·
Devil Mtn
685 Posts
Incoherent? Was he drunk? Tired? Either way sounds like he was impaired ...

Either way :thumbsup:. He's off the road and it sounds like no one got hurt. I can't say that I've seen too many cases like that where the driver was incoherent, but there have been many times I've wished there were a cop around ...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crapaccount said:
Hope you bashed him in the face before the cops got there. Never hurts.
Nah, he's going to have a hard enough time at Elmwood when his fellow perps find out he was caught and narc'd on by lycra clad cyclists.

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
fritzaholic said:
What a funny image. I wonder why I haven't seen it around for a few years???
heh heh heh.
yeah, it's too bad he shook the can up and it exploded all over the place like JD and the rootbeer in Dr. Cox's Porsche.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Good job - most folks don't have the balls to do that. I wonder - was he elderly, or just out of it? Sounds like drug/alcohol related behavior to me, unless the guy had a minor stroke or was just someone that should not have access to a car! If he needed medical attention, I hope the cops got it for him! Regardless - another "accident going somewhere to happen" off the road! I applaud!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Epilogue

The police said that he was high on prescription drugs. A motorist following us added to and corroborated our story, case closed.

He didn't even remember us during his booking.

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
This makes me think of that sheriff that fell asleep/passed out behind the wheel.

I had a friend once that came up a few cc's short of insulin before driving home from work. He smashed up several cars and ran a few lights, and hit a pedestrian before his car stopped. He was arrested under suspicion of DWI, but was released when they figured out what his problem was. He didn't serve any time that I know of, but after a dozen years, I think he's still paying the pedestrian off. Too bad that some folks need additional meds to function normally, but hey, life ain't fair.

Be careful out there, and kudos R2D2 for getting another incompetent driver off of the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.