Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
slow
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on craigslist yesterday and found out it was just 3 blocks from my house. Date code on front derailleur is BF, which I believe means September of 1981, though I am pretty sure I remember selling these brand new in 1986 or 1987. This will be a loaner for when my kids' friends come over, or for my kids to ride to the swimming pool, so their good bikes don't get stolen. It is a little small for me, or I would SS it because of the horizontal dropouts and bolt on hubs.

This thing is pretty beat, but has much of the original build. A previous owner apparently rode with a padlock dangling from the seat and / or handlebars, because the paint has taken a beating. It also has quite a bit of weathering, but will be good for it's intended purpose.

Thanks for taking a look. This is nothing exotic. Anyone recognize it from the posted photos?

Attachments

·
slow
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
djmuff, Yep. Thanks for the year ID. 1986 Schwinn High Sierra. This was the model year just prior to when I started working in our local Schwinn shop.

ck, I'll have to check that date code again. It was late and light was poor. Come to think of it, it might not even be a Shimano derailleur, so that could be where the discrepancy lies.

johnlh, Thanks for the spec link. Base on that, this bike has the original wheels, cranks, brakes, pedals, and stem. If I remember correctly, Shimano had a Deore SIS upgrade kit consisting of shift levers, cables, rear derailleur and freewheel back in 1988, and it looks like this bike was retro-fitted with that kit. It dose not have Bio-pace because it retains the original SR cranks. I'll get a few more photos up in the next few days, but it is not pretty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.