Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
one more time
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure which forum I should post this on but tonight im feeling quite passionate about my first complete bike build so here it goes...

Due to work committments and all I find myself riding less. In an effort to get out on the bike more often ive been hacking around the streets at night, the usual urban assault stuff - stairs, small drops and just general tooling around.

I am lucky enough to own other bikes but one day while checking out jensonusa.com i noticed a smoking deal on a jamis parker frame... thought about it for a while and decided to pull the pin and combine it with a bunch of the spare parts i had lying around and build up a rig that would be a good fit for thrashing around the streets. The frame is a medium and usually i would go for a large but i decided for something more compact that could be thrown around.

As it happens i ended up spending a few bucks more than i planned but you know how that works right? These are the parts I had lying around -

Wheelset - mavic 321's on DT swiss onyx rear (with sram cassette) and white industries 20mm TA front hub

Older Hope Mono M4 brakes

Sunline stem and bar

Kenda K-Rad tires

Older XT shifters

Shimano DX pedals

I ended up purchasing the rest -

SLX 2 ring crankset, easton post and WTB pure seat, new saint rear D, SLX front D - combined total approx 300USD (yes, parts are cheap here in singapore)

09 RS revelation fork - didnt plan to go nuts but needed through axle and got this for approx 450USD from the same guy here.

Just finished the build tonight - gotta say it was a pleasure to build it from scratch as Ive never had a crack at this before. I ride with a few guys who know their stuff when it comes to bikes and ive learned a huge amount from them over the past few years (thanks zul and danny).

I know there are plenty of guys here on the forums who build their own bikes from scratch and I say cheers to you... now i know the satisfaction it brings... for those who havent I say have a crack, its worth it!!!

I know she's not perfect yet... cables need trimming, maybe a shorter stem, and the steerer tube looks a bit nuts (decided to leave it long so the fork can be transferred to another rig later), but after a quick hack around the neighbourhood it rides nice....

Im really pumped about using this bike to get back to the basics of bike handling, improve my trail skills and generally have fun..... SWEEEEET!!

Cheers
Benz

Attachments

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Well, its boaring to me now - I would almost rather have someone else do it :p - but hey, I remember my first beer, it was awsome, so is you bike, nice build dude. :thumbsup:

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Great job on the bike, it's a beauty.

You know you'll have to take it out and get it all dirty and nasty! :D

PS - That reminds me, I have to go wash my bike from the past dozen of dirty rides. :eekster:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nice :thumbsup: that look slike that is exactly the ticket for the riding you describe.

I know you want to keep the steerer long so you can transfer it to another bike, so might I suggest you flip that stem so you can put the spacers under it and give yourself a bigger impact area ;) it's a fashion NO, NO, to have riser bars and a flipped stem, but to me it's a bit safer if you need/want to keep the steerer long.

·
one more time
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lynx - cheers for the input, i remember you gave me some solid input when i first got the RIP9.

I think the stem is a zero rise... but ill check...

How is the niner riding these days? ive had a fairly mixed experience with mine...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Glad I could be of some assistance with your RIP9.

My RIP9 has been pretty much fantastic, except I did suffer the broken seattube that the originals have suffered from and got an '08 replacement - will say I had over 3,500 miles on that original frame though before it broke. Just purchased a Manitou Minute 120mm TA for it and it really has improve the feel. Would dearly love to get my hands on the newly and completely re-designed, uber stiff, '09 version, but I won't be switching/buying anything until this current one breaks. Have a Surly KM for commuting and general road riding and some days when I feel like suffering a bit on the trails :D

benzology said:
Lynx - cheers for the input, i remember you gave me some solid input when i first got the RIP9.

I think the stem is a zero rise... but ill check...

How is the niner riding these days? ive had a fairly mixed experience with mine...

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,955 Posts
Sitting here trying to figure out how anybody could get bored with bringing a new bike to life...nope, don't get it. CONGRATS, OP!!!

Anybody who gets bored with it is just going through the motions; a build is so existential, you have to be detached from it to be bored.

The Parker looks hot, btw,...

·
beer thief
4,925 Posts
bigpedaler said:
Sitting here trying to figure out how anybody could get bored with bringing a new bike to life...nope, don't get it. CONGRATS, OP!!!

Anybody who gets bored with it is just going through the motions; a build is so existential, you have to be detached from it to be bored...
He didn't say he was bored, he wrote he was "boared" - something to do with a wild pig, I guess.

I agree, bike building is great therapy.

Very nice looking rig.

·
one more time
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I gotta tell you its a fun ride...

Crank the fork to full travel (140mm) and whack the seat down and its a bag of fun...

Put the seat up and wind the front end travel down to 110mm and its reasonably efficient for covering some ground.

A couple of observations - the kenda k-rad tires are comical on greasy surfaces, I decided to take a shortcut across a grassy area which quickly turned to slop... I was all over the place, kinda like drifting on a MTB! I will be sticking to tarmac or drypac on these tires!

The RS rear shock currently doesnt feel great. Even if I lower the air pressure to less than 100psi (which gives me approx 40% sag) I still dont get anywhere near full travel. I guess you get that with a base model - it really is an entry level shock and Im spoiled with high end fox and manitou air cans on other bikes. Seems a shame cause the frame is nice and stiff but the rear end feels like a hardtail when the pressure is set correctly for me... unless Im missing something here? any advice on tuning this shock would be appreciated...

Outside of those two aspects im really happy with it - just tooling around the streets and looking for things to jump off and clear its perfect, should be good to keep sharpen the skills too.

Cheers for your positive comments.
Benz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.