Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been lurking for a while and learned a lot. Decided to take the plunge and get a 29er. I'm still waiting for my frame and wheels to turn up but was kicking about the garage today and decided to stick one of my 29er tires on an old road wheel and wack that on my SS for a laugh. It was really cool the way it just rolled over and off curbs (only playing around the local streets as no front brake). I think I'm going to like this alot :) but looking down at that huge front wheel'll take some getting used too!
Luke

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure is!

nightfire said:
Fun isn't it!

Begining of the end I tell you.

Slippery slope.

Idle MC Ute, collecting dust

p::..
Not so sure about the idle Ute, part of the reason for the experiment was to see how it handled with the big wheel, it's got the toe clearance and it has a 72 head angle with an 80mm sus fork and I run it with the pace rigid which is shorter, so it should keep a decent head angle. I'll have to wait until I have my disc wheels so I can test it offroad.
Luke

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,011 Posts
I thought about doing that....

LJintheUK said:
Not so sure about the idle Ute, part of the reason for the experiment was to see how it handled with the big wheel, it's got the toe clearance and it has a 72 head angle with an 80mm sus fork and I run it with the pace rigid which is shorter, so it should keep a decent head angle. I'll have to wait until I have my disc wheels so I can test it offroad.
Luke
But the BB will be miles off the ground :D With the low stand-over height of the ute frame it should not be too much of a problem, but the BB might make the handling a little "interesting"

SSP

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting indeed

Singlespeedpunk said:
But the BB will be miles off the ground :D With the low stand-over height of the ute frame it should not be too much of a problem, but the BB might make the handling a little "interesting"

SSP
That did occur to me too, I just measured it. Just shy of 12 3/4inches ground to BB center, thats with Notos on the front Vertical pro on the rear.
Once I get a disc on the front I'll give it a real test :) .
Luke

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,011 Posts
LJintheUK said:
That did occur to me too, I just measured it. Just shy of 12 3/4inches ground to BB center, thats with Notos on the front Vertical pro on the rear.
Once I get a disc on the front I'll give it a real test :) .
Luke
I think a 29" wheel will add about 1.3" to the BB height (I'm sure Cloxxki will correct me if I'm wrong :D )

14" BB = never getting pedal strikes! :cool:

SSP

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lack of info

Singlespeedpunk said:
I think a 29" wheel will add about 1.3" to the BB height (I'm sure Cloxxki will correct me if I'm wrong :D )

14" BB = never getting pedal strikes! :cool:

SSP
Sorry, should have said, that was the measurement with the 29 wheel in place (my Ute has the standard 12inch BB).
14"BB would certainly be very interesting!
Luke

·
Registered
650 Posts
14"BB would certainly be very interesting!

Loads of Downhillers are running much more than that. 14" is more than desired but not as bad as most would have you belive.

P::..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts