Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally broke down and I decided to get a 29er. I ordered a Kona Big Kahuna. My only dilemma is the size. I ordered an 18". I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I am wondering if I should have gone for the 16" frame.I stand over a unit 29 that's an 18 and there in no clearance between me and the top tube if you know what I mean but others told me a 16 would be to small.So I am looking for some of your opinions for what size you guys think.

Thanks for the help.
Sean

·
Registered
167 Posts
You need the smaller frame. It's not a matter of a shorter stem but the stand over clearence. If you spend much time in the hills on real mountain trails your voice will become much higher from trashing the boyz on the TT... Happy Trails

·
Registered
234 Posts
PanFry said:
You Will Hurt Your Nuts!

Pf
I second that.I ride the smallest frame That I can get away with toptube-wise.the Konas do measure funny thoough,because of the extended seat tube,but I would say go with a 16 if the top tube is correct for you.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I have to wait for the 18" to be here and if its to big get a 16.Like I said with the unit 1" of clearance till serious pain. Yes I can dismount to the side but if I am on uneven ground it is going to be hard to reach the ground.
I was always told that you should have about 2-3" of clearance when you stand over a bike is this not a good rule of thumb?

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
being 5'8.5"s

Sean555 said:
I finally broke down and I decided to get a 29er. I ordered a Kona Big Kahuna. My only dilemma is the size. I ordered an 18". I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I am wondering if I should have gone for the 16" frame.I stand over a unit 29 that's an 18 and there in no clearance between me and the top tube if you know what I mean but others told me a 16 would be to small.So I am looking for some of your opinions for what size you guys think.

Thanks for the help.
Sean
I too would ride a 18 due to the 23.5" ETT, which is perfect. Like you i give up some standover for a longer effective top tube.

Standover only matters when your not riding. Also remeasure your inseam wearing your riding shoes to really get an idea of what your lnseam is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Definitely 16"

I'm the same height and same inseam. The SOH on a 29er is not the same as a standard 26er. I just picked up a Fisher Cobia 29er in a 17.5" (medium) frame and my "boys" sit right on the TT. Check the SOH on your Kona. I think anything over 29.5" and you are going to be uncomfortable...unless you have gorilla arms that will match the TT length. Just my 2 cents. I'm certainly not a professional bike fitter. Just went through the same experience that's all. Best of luck!

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Sean555 said:
I was always told that you should have about 2-3" of clearance when you stand over a bike is this not a good rule of thumb?
I think that 2-3 inch rule only worked in the pre-suspension days. I'm 5' 8". It's possible I get two inches on my Rockhopper, maybe. My other bikes give little to no clearance.

And no matter what the clearance, there will always be ground somewhere that is uneven enough to cause you to hit the bar if you go straight forward off the seat.

FWIW, I sat on a Kona Unit 18" frame last summer at my LBS. The fit felt good.

While you're waiting on your 18" frame, do you have opportunity anywhere to try out a 16-inch frame?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JonathanGennick said:
I think that 2-3 inch rule only worked in the pre-suspension days. I'm 5' 8". It's possible I get two inches on my Rockhopper, maybe. My other bikes give little to no clearance.

And no matter what the clearance, there will always be ground somewhere that is uneven enough to cause you to hit the bar if you go straight forward off the seat.

FWIW, I sat on a Kona Unit 18" frame last summer at my LBS. The fit felt good.

While you're waiting on your 18" frame, do you have opportunity anywhere to try out a 16-inch frame?
I don't know of anyone in my area that has a 16" frame.I am not that worried about it though.I think the 18" will be good. I come from a freeride/downhill back round so I am use to tall bikes with little to almost no tt clearance.I am getting the 29er to help train and a hard tall to pick better smoother lines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.