Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im going to be doing a 34 hour race in the spring, but I would like to order lights asap to get in as much practice night riding as possible. I have never even looked at good lights, so could you reccomend a good setup? Im thinking I want a light on the bars and my helmet. Im trying not to spend a fortune here either..so try to keep the prices resonable. Thanks

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
the most important question is how much money do you want to spend, then what kind of terrain and speed do you ride. I'm going to give you a good medium option. Check DiNotte lights, they have good packages and their extra batteries are cheap so you can have something charging while riding or dim your light to 50% output and have 8h of light
Check the 400/200 combo or something similar would be enough

·
Goats Rule!
354 Posts
Dinotte is definitely a good sugestion. They are good, reliable, reasonably priced lights. As BBW mentioned, what is your price range? Knowing that will definitely help us make recommendations.

Yeah, someone is going to chime in Magicshine - me, I own a couple but would not use them for 24 hour racing. I haven't had any problems at all with them, but...and maybe I'm being a snob here...I just won't use them for this. I'll use lights from established manufacturers.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, ill check them out. As far as price, Id like to keep it under $300-350...theyre only lights, any more than that and I could have a set of crossmax wheels off ebay on my bike for the same price

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Destin said:
Thanks for the advice, ill check them out. As far as price, Id like to keep it under $300-350...theyre only lights, any more than that and I could have a set of crossmax wheels off ebay on my bike for the same price
...and wheels are only wheels and you already have them...right? ;) If you're going to race you're going to need something with some throw ( for the helmet ) and a decent bar light. Run time is also an issue. You need to be able to squeeze out 8hrs of run time so you'll need extra batteries. A Dinotte 400L for the bar would be a nice choice. One Li-ion 4 cell battery should give you 5hrs on high or much more if you power down when you have the option. I have no problem recommending the Magic Shine as a helmet lamp. It looks easy to mount on the helmet and has a decent beam pattern for helmet throw. It too has a 4-cell battery for about 3.5hrs on high. Total cost for both lights ( 400L + MS ) would be somewhere near $400. There are cheaper options. One being a Dinotte 200L ( with flood optic) bar mounted supplemented with a MTE P-7 torch bar mounted for boost (used when needed) There are tons of options but trying to keep under $350 for a dependable,versatile light combo is a tough nut to crack. Some people use 2 x Magic Shines and have no problems. If you bought two MS's and two extra batteries you could hold cost down to < $300 and should have enough run time to get you through the race.

·
Lucky...
331 Posts

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
zarr said:
Magic Shizine. :thumbsup:
I've done 24 hrs of Moab with a meager 10 W niterider halogen (1 hr 30 min lap times at night), so I would have no problem doing it with a Magicshine or two. I was on a team not trying to win of course.

In fact, I might do it next year, and if I do, I will certainly sport MS lights--one on the bar and one on the helmet. You can build spare packs for less than $30 (or buy for ~$40) so you can have some charging while you are on a lap.

Destin, you can also rent lights for a 24 hr race if you don't want to invest.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Second that...

lidarman said:
I've done 24 hrs of Moab with a meager 10 W niterider halogen (1 hr 30 min lap times at night), so I would have no problem doing it with a Magicshine or two. I was on a team not trying to win of course.

In fact, I might do it next year, and if I do, I will certainly sport MS lights--one on the bar and one on the helmet. You can build spare packs for less than $30 (or buy for ~$40) so you can have some charging while you are on a lap.

Destin, you can also rent lights for a 24 hr race if you don't want to invest.
I've done three 24 hour races on teams, and I ran NR halogen lights with way less burn time and way less light than MagicShines. Seems to me, for $300 you can buy three heads and a couple spare batteries, and still have dough left over for the beer. You can easily get 6 hours on a battery and a magicshine head on low. Most of the time, you don't need to run it on full blast anyway. You get 3+ hours for one battery running one head on high beam. Spare batteries run like $40, IIRC.

I picked up the racer kit for $120, which is two batteries, one head, a Y-cord, one charger, one helmet mount. It already mounts to the bar with only an o-ring. I got a second head for $35, so that is two complete systems that share one charger. In theory, I could run a third head, but I'm not sure I really need that much light.

I also ran one of those LED camping headlamps around my helmet. That thing was great just to create a glow around your bars for long fireroad gentle climbs.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cat-man-do said:
...and wheels are only wheels and you already have them...right? ;) If you're going to race you're going to need something with some throw ( for the helmet ) and a decent bar light. Run time is also an issue. You need to be able to squeeze out 8hrs of run time so you'll need extra batteries. A Dinotte 400L for the bar would be a nice choice. One Li-ion 4 cell battery should give you 5hrs on high or much more if you power down when you have the option. I have no problem recommending the Magic Shine as a helmet lamp. It looks easy to mount on the helmet and has a decent beam pattern for helmet throw. It too has a 4-cell battery for about 3.5hrs on high. Total cost for both lights ( 400L + MS ) would be somewhere near $400. There are cheaper options. One being a Dinotte 200L ( with flood optic) bar mounted supplemented with a MTE P-7 torch bar mounted for boost (used when needed) There are tons of options but trying to keep under $350 for a dependable,versatile light combo is a tough nut to crack. Some people use 2 x Magic Shines and have no problems. If you bought two MS's and two extra batteries you could hold cost down to < $300 and should have enough run time to get you through the race.
True I already have wheels. But they are boat anchors!!! And Ive got upgraditis latley =] Plus...The wheels pay off every time I get on the bike. I would prolly only use lights on like 5-10% of my rides

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Destin said:
True I already have wheels. But they are boat anchors!!! And Ive got upgraditis latley =] Plus...The wheels pay off every time I get on the bike. I would prolly only use lights on like 5-10% of my rides
I understand. The same principle applies to bike lights as well. ( some are heavy, some are light ). If you feel you would get more use out of a new set of wheels than I say go for it. I've never really owned a nice set of race wheels. I'm sure they are lighter than standard wheels and I do understand about the rotational weight thing. If I were you I would probably get the wheels first since you seem to be very "race conscience". At some point though you will need lights. You will probably want a decent set of lights because some light sets are also like mini-anchors. Last thing you want is a big heavy light head on your helmet and a battery in your hydration pack that feels like a brick. It's one thing to have a little more weight on your bike and another to actually have the weight on your person. Personally, I'll take the weight on the bike any day.

Right now it doesn't look like your in a hurry to get lights or to use them racing. For a little more than $100 you could get a couple P-7 torches ( one bar mounted, one helmet ) and use them to get a feel for riding at night. The torches are cheap ( low quality ) but light-weight. Light output is decent though at about 600lm per torch. The 18650 li-ion cells they use are about $4-$5 a piece. A charger about $10. Run time about 1hr per cell. When it comes time to race at night though you WILL need a better set of lights. Perhaps if you're fortunate enough, your sponsor or race team will provide a better set of lights ( to borrow ) come race time. I'd check your LBS's. You'd be surprised how many people/companies would be willing to provide lights for an outfit like yours..:thumbsup:

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Ay-up is popular on the 24 hour racing circuit. Otherwise a 24 hour course is a lot tamer than your normal night riding trails, at least in my neck of the words since they are all hiking trails during the day :D. So you would be fine with a light package without an insane amount of lumens or just running a powerful light on the bar or helemt, which ever one is your preference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.