Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Shimano M515 clipless pedals and clipless riding shoes that are downstairs and I am not walking down to see the make/model. Anywho, since I got my new bike and switched these pedals over from my old rig I've been getting a terrible numbless in both feet after prolonged rides. Anyone ever had this problem or heard of it? Know of any common causes? Any tips or advise would be great.

Thanks

MC

:madman:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
What bike were you riding? What bike did you switch to? How long is a long ride and is it longer than you used to ride your old bike for? Have you changed your shoes with this switch?

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The main thing I've read that causes numbness in the feet after long rides is improper cleat placement on the shoe or that the shoe is too tight.

One thing you can do to check cleat placement is to get on your bike (be near a wall or something you can hold yourself up on) and put your forward knee at the 3'o clock position. Have a friend/wife/whatever assist - use a plumb bob and hang it down from the front of your knee. The point should come down directly over the ball of your foot. If it doesn't, adjust your cleat till it does.

If that doesn't help, try loosening your shoes or wearing real thin socks - they have cycling socks made for tighter cycling shoes.

I was having numbness until I had my new bike fitted and my cleats were adjusted - problem solved ;)

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Shoes laced too tight has been my problem in the past. I wear skate type shoes w/spd cleats. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry to get ready I'll lace my shoes a lil' too tight & numbness on the trail will make me aware of it. Sometimes though, I'll be on one of those lengthy "death marches" we periodically take an' my feet will get numb from climbing a whole lot, it seems, and I'll un clip for a few mins and pedal & that seems to help a lot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys everyone, this is all very great info.

Prolonged rides for me = 20+ miles on a river side trail system full of fields, root covered bluffs, sand(I hate sand), and creek beds. This is around my usual weekend ride give or take a mile or so.

I was riding a Fuji but I have since switched to a 17.5" Gary Fisher Piranah. It fits me well but I have't found my sweet spot with the seat adjustments just yet. Really waiting on my new saddle before I get into it. I have not switched riding shoes but I am considering it if the numbness doesn't stop. Unclipping and wiggling my feet and toes helps me too. I will get my girlfriend to help me check my cleat position today. I might even fork out some $$ for some cycling socks.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Shouldn't have any difficulties on a ride that length (assuming that's around 2-2.5 hours) if your shoes fit right. As others have suggested if you have lace up shoes you could have them too tight, try slackening them off a bit. If you have shoes w/ velcro it's easy to adjust them as you ride for comfort.

As for ridig position, that normally effects muscles (legs, back) more than your feet but it could well be adding to whatever the problem is for you. Good luck and also remember that the cleat can also be rotated as well as moved forward and back - be careful with this as this is what can cause knee pain.

Luke Trailrider said:
Thanks for the replys everyone, this is all very great info.

Prolonged rides for me = 20+ miles on a river side trail system full of fields, root covered bluffs, sand(I hate sand), and creek beds. This is around my usual weekend ride give or take a mile or so.

I was riding a Fuji but I have since switched to a 17.5" Gary Fisher Piranah. It fits me well but I have't found my sweet spot with the seat adjustments just yet. Really waiting on my new saddle before I get into it. I have not switched riding shoes but I am considering it if the numbness doesn't stop. Unclipping and wiggling my feet and toes helps me too. I will get my girlfriend to help me check my cleat position today. I might even fork out some $$ for some cycling socks.

G

·
Sounds like your shoes are too tight or too small if you have to remove your shoes to wiggle your toes. Get soem Carnacs or a shoe with a larger toe box. Try riding a few miles with socks and with your shoes unbuckled or unlaced quite a bit and see if they feel better. You'll be able to see if it's the shoe or riding position, but I bet it's the shoe.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Another thing to take into account: in the summer time, mainly the hotter days like today, blood will puddle up in your feet making them:madmax: swell. Some folks puddle worse than others, especially as you get :rolleyes: older. This makes for very :madman: uncomfortable riding. I always go for at least 1 :thumbsup: size bigger shoe. This :idea: allows for puddlin' in th' summer an' extra socks in th' winter months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine do to. I have Shimano MT50 shoes I think. They are comfortable but when I get riding they can make one of my feet go numb pretty quickly. I've tried looser/tighter...going to have to try moving cleat location now and see if that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.