Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been promising to post some pictures of my other workshop which is a very special place as within the confines of one very small building, a dedicated group of volunteers works tirelessly to provide bikes to underpriviledged kids on our community.

Our bikes are donated by generous citizens and quite often, our local bike shops will donate new bikes for us to pass along... in a year we will receive 3500 bikes and manage to hand out 2500 of them with many of the surplus bikes going to other charities (these are usually older cruisers and road bikes) or end up as parts donors.

Our local bike shops are also very generous in that they donate consumables like cables, housing, cable ends...etc.

What we cannot use gets recycled and there is very little we can't use.

So here's some pics of the shop...

This is my little corner of the shop...

Tools, tools, and more tools as well as boxes upon boxes of derailleurs.

Another shot of the main bench... the racks behind contain hundreds of tubes, obscure tools, and many parts.

This is what I see when I walk in the shop... it is a wonderful feeling to walk in past these rows and rows of bikes and rows of parts to the main shop.

The view from my little corner... it's so pleasing to see these hundreds and hundreds of bikes for tykes that have been built and await their new owners.

More pics to come...

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some bikes...

And the bikes you saw are just the tip of the iceberg... besides what you see here there are hundreds more stored away in containers and at other sites within the city.

These are some of the bikes we just keep as they're rather old and collectible; the front bike is a '78 Raleigh Tourist, the white bike is actually an Amsterdam White Bike, and there are a few splendid old road bikes tucked away in the rack. The 5th bike in the row is a coaster bike that dates back to the 30's.... it must weigh 55 pounds !

This is the second floor where we have several hundred finished bikes stored away.

Another shot of the second floor...

Besides all this, every inch of ceiling space in the building has parts hanging from it as well as even more bikes.

Besides bikes we also supply every kind of sporting equipment to kids in need and all this was started by one man long ago who started collecting used hockey equipment so he could give it to kids who's families could not afford to equip their kids.

I have to tip my hat to the many volunteers, sponsors, and generous citizens who make all this possible.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shop is pretty awesome... one of our high end local shops closed down some years ago and rather than auction things off, the owner donated everything except his stock of bikes. We even have a few NOS parts that date back to the 50's and get the occasional call from the local LBS's asking if we have some hard to find tools or parts.

Although I love working in my own little shop at home, the work that I get to do in this shop is by far the most satisfying and I only wish I had more time to spend time here building bikes for kids.

·
dreaming of bottlerockets
315 Posts
Wow, I would love to work or volunteer there. It reminds me of the ECOS shop, but 100x bigger and better stocked.

I've applied to work part-time at Western Cycle a few days ago. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they come to their senses and hire me ;).

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excel my frirnd...all you have to do is come down and fill out an application and I'll give you a good reference. If you happen to get the job at Western I'll probably see more of you as I drop in there at least once a week.

Even if you could spend a few hours a week that would help to make a dent in the huge number of bikes that are awaiting work.

We just received a 2002 Norco Atomik DH bike that will surely blow some lucky kid's mind... some of the specs on this 7 inch FS; it has 8 inch Hayes brakes, Kenda Kinetix tires, Truvativ cranks, Bomber forks, and Deore group. This is actually the first disc equipped bike that has been donated and I'm sure the guys in the shop will be gobsmacked when they see it and even more gobsmacked when they find out one of these bad boys is worth.

It's amazing how many high end bikes get donated and one of those swanky road bikes I pictured was actually donated by a fed up missus who must have been jealous about how much her better half spent on his bike... LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.