Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been too long since I have had the chance to ride with my favorite riding partner. Between races, work, and other responsibilities we just haven't had a chance to get together for a ride. That changed this afternoon and we headed out to one of the local haunts to put a few miles in.

Things started out pretty casual tredding familiar territory.

We hit a new section of trail that she was unfamiliar with. The tech level was higher than she had ridden before.

Brimming with confidence she attacked the new sections.

If you love somone, let them go........

If they are yours, they will come back to you.

Conquering the formerly unconquered!

I always come back from these rides with a smile on my face. We always stop for Icecream on the way back. I always enjoy riding with my best riding buddy!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Very nice. My younger daughter is starting to like to ride, but I'm noticing we've got very different preferences in our riding. I consider myself an XC rider, like to do some racing, and love a long, grinding uphill. But I'm learning my 10 year old might become a downhiller. She likes to push her bike uphill and then ride down like a bat out of hell. It scares the heck out of me to watch her.

But if she rides, I'll love it no matter what she is doing. I'll even get her a downhill bike if she sticks with it.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gatorback said:
Very nice. My younger daughter is starting to like to ride, but I'm noticing we've got very different preferences in our riding. I consider myself an XC rider, like to do some racing, and love a long, grinding uphill. But I'm learning my 10 year old might become a downhiller. She likes to push her bike uphill and then ride down like a bat out of hell. It scares the heck out of me to watch her.

But if she rides, I'll love it no matter what she is doing. I'll even get her a downhill bike if she sticks with it.
I think that most kids would fall into that mold. Let's face it, kids are smart enough to know that climbing=work, and kids don't like work. You have the right attitude though and keep encouraging her. Maybe some day she will start to "enjoy" a nice climb. But the most important thing is that she is out there riding:thumbsup:

And thanks to everyone for the kind words. I know that my photos are a mere shadow of some of the excellent work that is displayed here in Passion.

Handyman: If you ever do decide to have children, don't blame me:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
HandyMan said:
wow! thats great! threads like this always make me want to have kids of my own... and thats a VERY rare feeling for me :D
Hey mate,
Reconsider! Instead, get yourself a dawg, they don't need a bike of their own, and if they slow you down when riding you can meet them at the bottom. And you get to eat both ice-creams on the way home, cos it's no good for dogs. I've got one in retirement, and one in training....:D

-a big thumbsup for all Dads out there doing their job the best they can :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crd, I touch her life even if we don't ride. She's mine. And I truly mean it when I say that she's my favorite riding partner.

Razorfish, She is 11 now. I have had her out on trails since she was about 5. We started out with a trailgator, graduated to a 20" BMX bike, then a 20" MTB, and now she is on the 24" MTB. All money well spent.

Aplomb, Wow, that's all I can say.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,858 Posts
Awesome! Start them out young and you never know what they will become. I have a niece who traveled the country as a toddler watching her parents race MTBs. She started riding very young. She is now 12 years old and she is into MTBing but prefers racing road bikes. This past weekend she came in second place behind the Colorado state champion in her age group. There was only a half of a front wheel gap between the two. All this and she makes the honor role, I may be bias but she is one smart and athletic kid who enjoys and does almost all sports.

·
Tossin the salad.
737 Posts
I too enjoy riding w/ my son!
Even though he's on a 24", he seems to always be behind me most of the time.
He advanced so much. On top of that, he's only 10 and weighs right @ 96 lbs. Almost sitting a 5' and plays DE on PopWarner Football team. As for grades, not all A student, but A's & B's. He'll be in 5th grade this year.

I enjoy being around him and watching him love this sport. Just me and him are going on a small Epic adventure to CO; all MTB'in for one whole week. ;)
You should see how pump'ed up he is about camping and doing just guy stuff and leaving his lil Sister behind :D

BTW --- Love those pictures!
Here's some of my son

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Keep on riding with them, those memories are forever !

Frozenspokes, Awesome, the more time you spend on the bikes the closer you'll get even if you don't think that is possible. My son started ridding singletrack with me when he was 5. Really got into it when he was 10 and got his first 24" and at 12 He had spouted enought to land a new 26" medium frame Cannondale. Now, at 13, he is often waiting for me at the top of those climbs where I used to wait. I'm having to push hard to stay at the top of the game while he keeps pushing me. :D Gotta love it ! And as you stated, he is the best riding partner anyone could ever wish for. Time flies when you are having fun, so everyone, keep on riding..........

ODN

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
Interesting that all of you have your kids on 24s". In hindsight I probably should have done that. Mine is a on 26" (13" frame) and it's a little big but she does fine. Since the picture above I've changed the stem to a higher rise which made a day and night difference for her to ride. I'm debating to swap out the narrow XC bar with a wider low or mid rise bar. I might go with new shifter first. The twist grips are difficult for her to use. She's totally into riding so I'm all excited to upgrade her bike. Better tires, new plush forks (TBD) are on the list.

·
Tossin the salad.
737 Posts
Razorfish said:
Interesting that all of you have your kids on 24s". In hindsight I probably should have done that. Mine is a on 26" (13" frame) and it's a little big but she does fine. Since the picture above I've changed the stem to a higher rise which made a day and night difference for her to ride. I'm debating to swap out the narrow XC bar with a wider low or mid rise bar. I might go with new shifter first. The twist grips are difficult for her to use. She's totally into riding so I'm all excited to upgrade her bike. Better tires, new plush forks (TBD) are on the list.
I do have an older Rock Hopper 100% hard tail (no shocks) and it is a 13.5 and my son can and does ride it, but since it does not have front shocks. He just rides the 24". I would not mind chaining out the forks on it to put on some front shocks, but thats $100+ and the bike is not worth it, plus it is grip shift. So really not really a big upgrade from his HOT ROCKS. So I'll wait till he get little taller and buy him a 26" (on his Bday in October)

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Razorfish said:
I think that the temptation we have as parents is to get the larger bike with the beleif that they will "grow into it". I made that mistake with her first bike. It was a 16" wheeled kids bike. We got it for her and she wasn't able to stand over the top tube for over a year. That was a real hindrance for her to ride it so it mostly sat until she did grow into it.

With kids (and adults for that matter), I beleive that if the bike is too small, it isn't nearly as much as a problem as if it is too large.

I have a 13" framed "adult" bike waiting for her when she is ready for it. I will let her decide when that is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hear y'all!

HEY - I've got one of those great riding partners too! He sounds a lot like your son TX_Shifter! Right down the big size and the little sister! I know EXACTLY how you all feel!

M'boy turned 10 last week, 5'-ish, 130 pounds, wicked student and has been going hard on his wheels since he started riding at 3. He has gone through a bike a year (just outgrowing them) at age 6, 7 and 8. Last year his birthday present was an adjustable Trek with 24" wheels....and he still rides it.

HOWEVER, he decided part way through last year he wanted a full suspension. He was told he needed to save his own money then. He had his eye on a Kona Howler, and within a month he had $500 saved from collecting bottles (the neighbours loved giving him theirs), doing chores in the neighbourhood, eating worms, etc.

I found a used Howler on a forum, an adult small with 26" wheels, and I surprised him by picking it up for him. He only had half of the money, so together we made a 'Howler Fund' chart where he could record extra chores to pay the rest off.

He finished paying for it last month, and now he alternates between the 2...riding the smaller Trek in town mostly, and on harder trails, and pushing the big bike on easier trails and riding DH at our local hill. It took a good few months of riding to get used to the big bike, but he really handles it well now. Dad was not too calm watching him go DH at first...."remember bud, with the big wheels you're going to go faster", "remember bud, with the hydro's you're going to stop a lot faster", etc. But he did great, and absolutely flew down the hill!

'Tis a GREAT DEAL of fun for us both, and we've got a trip planned ourselves (with no little sister) to the mountains of Hinton/Jasper AB this summer!

I absolutely love reading everyone's posts about riding with your kids! That is our #1 activity as a family in the summer.....glad to hear others loving it too!

Cheers

eman

From the last couple of years, some pics, in order, are:

1: Hitting the trails
2: My partner in the red hat meeting his hero Ryan Leech at Crankworks last summer
3: Pumped for his first DH run on the big bike
4: Resting on the way up the chair lift
5: And of course one of the little ripper (just turned 6) enjoying the trees too!!!

Attachments

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
Her are some shots of my favorite riding partner.
We did a 6 hour race together a couple of weeks ago, and all he kept saying was "Is it my turn now?"
Ten years old and loves to ride. What more could I ask for.:D
Bicycle frame Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Bicycle helmet

Clothing Bicycle frame Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.