Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
cyclemaven.net
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I just can't help it. My husband keeps on showing me what he can do on a BMX.

He shows me videos of flatlanders and says "this is what I picture you doing".
I'm trying so hard to stay faithful to my mountain bike, but temptation is getting the better of me.

The other day I found myself fooling around on the old beater of a BMX. The one I had previously refered to as the "clown geometry bike".
There's a "girls learn to ride" BMX clinic, that I'm actually thinking of attending.

Have I gone mad?
Is anyone else going through this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
I was very very tempted by a BMX bike last year. It's faded now, and the current lust is for a fixed gear. I know if I wait it out, I'll move on to something else.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
little b said:
I was very very tempted by a BMX bike last year. It's faded now, and the current lust is for a fixed gear. I know if I wait it out, I'll move on to something else.
Heh that would be great for commuting now, wouldn't it? Hmm
 

·
cyclemaven.net
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But won't my mountain bike get jealous? :p

Impy said:
Why can't you do both? Seems that they would complement one another.
I kinda feel like I'm still on that steep end of the learning curve for mountain biking, and that I might unlearn some of my good MTB handling skills if I stray at this point.

Plus, I'm more than a little embarrassed about getting on a BMX for the first time at my age. :rolleyes:
 

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
Kallisti said:
I kinda feel like I'm still on that steep end of the learning curve for mountain biking, and that I might unlearn some of my good MTB handling skills if I stray at this point.

Plus, I'm more than a little embarrassed about getting on a BMX for the first time at my age. :rolleyes:
I took up BMX racing a couple years ago at the tender age of 41. Most nights, I was the only female over the age of 12 who wasn't someone's mother. The atmosphere was very welcoming, very family-oriented. I did not feel out of place. Well, not much. Nothing like being corrected by an 8-year-old that you are in the wrong line for your moto. ;^P

If you look at the guys that can really ride a mtbike, many of them started with BMX. I think the skills are complementary. I actually bought the BMX bike to try to re-learn skills I had as a kid. On my banana-seat bike at age 10, I could pop a wheelie and ride it down the block. Now on my mtbike, I'm lucky if I can get the front wheel 3" off the ground for 2 milliseconds. Injuries have gotten in the way the last year, so I didn't get the BMXer out, but I'm hoping to pursue my original plan this summer. And open house at the BMX track is at the end of this month.

Go for it!

Kathy :^)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Lucky said:
I took up BMX racing a couple years ago at the tender age of 41. Most nights, I was the only female over the age of 12 who wasn't someone's mother. The atmosphere was very welcoming, very family-oriented. I did not feel out of place. Well, not much. Nothing like being corrected by an 8-year-old that you are in the wrong line for your moto. ;^P
Kathy, you are my hero.
I tried BMX last summer and loved it. Buying one this summer.
 

·
cyclemaven.net
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ladies

Lucky, xcdemon, the fact that you guys are out there doing it definitely makes me feel better. I'm buying hubby a new BMX for his birthday next week, and it looks like I'll get the beater for now, so I'm going to set it up for flatland.
I'm feeling a bit giddy already!
 

·
life is a barrel o'fun
Joined
·
2,502 Posts
this is refreshing

Glad to see grown women giving BMX a try. Sometimes I look at those bikes and think, "What fun.....too bad I'm not a kid anymore."

But I'm still trying to learn simple things like bunny hops, wheelies and track stands, so the mtb remains a challenge in some ways!

I'm thinking more along the lines of a road bike these days.
 

·
cyclemaven.net
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
been road riding for twenty years

I still love it, but I must admit that since I got my mountain bike I've been on my road bike three times :( .
Christine, if you're thinking about it, definitely try it. There's something truly wonderful about the feel of racer geometry. And topping out at 50mph.

Christine said:
Glad to see grown women giving BMX a try. Sometimes I look at those bikes and think, "What fun.....too bad I'm not a kid anymore."

But I'm still trying to learn simple things like bunny hops, wheelies and track stands, so the mtb remains a challenge in some ways!

I'm thinking more along the lines of a road bike these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I'm glad you all bring up thoughts of other bikes. I've beent toying with the idea of getting a road bike for this summer. Kodiak has about 20 miles of paved road so far...and they are planning on paving the rest (25 more miles) to Pasagshak this summer. Until now a road bike has been limited to our relatively minimal paved roads so I hadn't thought much about it. What do you all know about the differences...would my MTB be sufficient or should I say...how much difference does it make to warrant an investment in a purely seasonal bike?
 

·
cyclemaven.net
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bendette said:
I'm glad you all bring up thoughts of other bikes. I've beent toying with the idea of getting a road bike for this summer. Kodiak has about 20 miles of paved road so far...and they are planning on paving the rest (25 more miles) to Pasagshak this summer. Until now a road bike has been limited to our relatively minimal paved roads so I hadn't thought much about it. What do you all know about the differences...would my MTB be sufficient or should I say...how much difference does it make to warrant an investment in a purely seasonal bike?
Road bike geometry may feel a bit weird at first if you're not used to it. Your position is more compact, more tucked in. A good analogy for me is the difference between driving an SUV off-roading, and driving a sports car. Both are fun, but in a sports car (or on a road bike) you find yourself really enjoying the speed, and the way it handles generally, and particularly through curves. Hope that helps a little. :)
 

·
Homegrown
Joined
·
143 Posts
Kallisti said:
Lately I just can't help it. My husband keeps on showing me what he can do on a BMX.

He shows me videos of flatlanders and says "this is what I picture you doing".
I'm trying so hard to stay faithful to my mountain bike, but temptation is getting the better of me.

The other day I found myself fooling around on the old beater of a BMX. The one I had previously refered to as the "clown geometry bike".
There's a "girls learn to ride" BMX clinic, that I'm actually thinking of attending.

Have I gone mad?
Is anyone else going through this?
A couple years ago I got talked into doing a couple of BMX races. I found that the BMX riding significantly improved my MTB skills - everything was transferrable. For example, riding through whoops now is much easier since I learned how to do rhythm sections on the BMX track....

As for road riding - that is also a complement to MTB - provides the strenght needed to muscle through some tough technical sections. On the flip side, my MTB skills have helped me keep my road bike up on more than one occasion....

I say the more bikes the better :D Doesn't matter what kind as long as you're riding, and having a good time!

SheFly
Bullit
Rocky Mtn SS
Rocy Mtn Road
Cannondale Road
Connondale TT
Giant DH
Cannondale Tandem
 

·
Homegrown
Joined
·
143 Posts
xcdemon said:
now THAT'S a stable! Do you have any furniture, or when you invite people over for dinner do you just have them pull up a bike to the table/workbench?
:D

We actually are just finishing an addition on our house so that we have a separate place for the bikes and the people.... There is ALWAYS more room for bikes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
649 Posts
SheFly said:
I say the more bikes the better :D Doesn't matter what kind as long as you're riding, and having a good time!
I'm with you on that one!!! :)
I have two bmxs and i love them both, makes me feel like i'm a kid again.
I get such a kick out of riding any bike, it has to be one of my favourite things in life!
I'm glad people aren't bagging the 20 inchers here!!
 

·
just a girl
Joined
·
32 Posts
Lucky you rule!

"I took up BMX racing a couple years ago at the tender age of 41."

Over the last couple years I find myself looking longingly at the BMX bikes at my LBS and feeling foolish that at my age (now 33) I would even be entertaining such ideas.

You have given me wicked, wicked thoughts!

Tory
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top