Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mtn View, CA
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running Michelin Mud2s on old Mavic Reflex rims on my 'cross bike. I ran 36psi while racing the Sea Otter cat 5 cross race. In the middle of the third lap (of four) I blew out the rear bead when remounting after some barrier hopping. I had to run/walk the rest of the lap to get to the neutral pit but they only had a regular pump and couldn't get the bead reseated. I had to use an air compressor to do it when I installed the Stan's CX kit.
While walking back to the car I remembered the Stan's booth had an air compressor so I figured I would ask them for help reseating the bead so I wouldn't leak sealant all over the back of the car. They were helping their sponsored racers get ready for the pro cx races so I didn't want to get in their way. Eventually someone asked if I needed help.
I asked if I could use their compressor to reseat my tire and the guy said sure. He was having trouble and had to pull the valve stem just like I did. He could get the bead to seat but couldn't keep enough air in long enough to get the valve back in. Eventually he had to turn on the compressor again to get more air volume. On the 4th attempt or so the tire blew off the rim with a huge bang. Everyone in the booth went deaf for a few seconds and was covered in sealant. He then said the tire bead is just too loose for the rim so asked around if they had any spare tires. The team uses Kenda Kommandos. They didn't have any so one of the racers took off a wheel from his bike and they pulled the tire off to put on my wheel. My wheel got tweaked from the tire blowing off so one of the mechanics put it on a stand and tried to get it trued up. He did the best he could in the time available and the other guy put on the tire and got it mounted.
I apologized for it being such a pain in the ass and taking so much of their time. He said if I can't get the wheel fixed up or I'm not satisfied with it to send him an email and he'll hook me up with a deal on a new wheel. He handed me a card and I realized the guy helping me was the president of Stan's.
I was impressed with their service and willingness to help even though they were busy with getting some team racers ready.

cliff notes: Blew out a rear bead in the Sea Otter cat 5 CX race. Stopped by the Stan's booth to use their compressor to reseat the tire. After they had trouble they gave me a tire off a racer's bike and the president of Stan's said he would hook me up on a deal if I wasn't satisfied.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That was an entertaining read! I'm not super serious cyclist but got a set of stan's wheels for my build bike and very happy. To me (cheap guy) they are a bling set of wheels and I love the way they ride. I wanted to put a thru axle on the rear and after I built and rode my wheels and their service folks walked me through which parts I needed and when it took longer than expected, the guy threw in a free bottle of sealant to make me happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.