Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Things have calmed down...phone contact was made with all parties involved. Resolution has not been established...but everyone is happy...considering the circumstances, of course. I still feel this thread was worthwhile...but I urge you guys to NOT discredit either of the companies I had to deal with. That's all I can say at the moment...but considering how pissed off I was...my change of heart should mean quite a bit to all of you that got pissed off because of it.

I'm going to try to keep this as clear as possible. I have been trying to avoid going this far...but it's time. Please at least read all of my ramblings if you feel you want to comment.

I'm extremely pissed about my dealings with Misfit Psycles, and have been since August, being pissed for that long will not help me write clearly. Bear with me.

I have been debating posting the e-mail correspondences to make sure nothing gets lost in translation and you can personally see how this company has dealt with the situation, but the legality of that is in question. Therefore, I am paraphrasing (greatly paraphrasing) what I received in e-mails. I'm not going to exaggerate, put my opinions in, or anything of that sort. Just stating my experiences. I have the entire e-mail chain to prove or disprove anything that may be said here. So, don't start crying foul if I left some information out. There are at least 30-40 combined e-mails between me and Misfit.

To start off, I was in the market for a steel 29er hardtail…searched around, did a lot of phone calling, and ended up buying a Misfit Psycles Dissent (fe) after speaking with the owner a few times on the phone. Off the bat, he was a great guy, and I was excited to support someone like him and his company. I went ahead and ordered a hand built frame, hand built fork, and a CC 110 headset…for a total of ~$1400 after shipping, brokerage, and duty fees.

I ordered it in March and paid for it in April. I waited, as was to be expected… received some updates…mostly blaming the builder, True North Cycles, for all the problems occurring. The blame game started getting a bit annoying, but whatever. I took receipt of the frameset July 15th, 2010...3 months after payment…not terrible…but whatever, I got the frame.

Right off the bat…TERRIBLE finishing work right out of the box. Dimples all over the place in the power coating, scratches down to bare metal on the chainstay, and no prep work done. Had to get the bottom bracket faced and chased (Misfit installed the headset, so I didn't have to deal with that), and the fork…the brake tab was way off square…my shop had to remove quite a bit of metal to get it square, the crown was so roughly machined it still had paint on it, and the hub spacing on it was around 103-104mm instead of 100mm. Keep in mind this is a $925 handbuilt frame and $275 handbuilt fork. This work would've cost me $85 at my shop, but they felt bad for me for and gave me a good discount on the work.

So, I'm mad, but calm. I contact Misfit. He basically says it's too bad on frame prep...even thought they provide it on their cheaper frames at no charge… and the fork is within tolerance. He does tell me that they have received a few complaints about bad powder jobs, and that the powder company admitted to rushing it...so they'll offer me an $80 refund, which I thought was fair enough for a reimbursement.

So…moving on, I build the bike up...take it for a few short rides...3rd short ride on a switchback, the top tube snaps at the head tube weld. I didn't get hurt at all, thankfully. I'm calm about it, while my friends and everyone else I pass while carrying it back are pretty much pissed off and in disbelief. My thought was **** happens, and Misfit will take care of me. Sent a photo with details of what happened that night, and ask him to call me.

Get an e-mail back saying "(sic) Incredible, I'll see how True North wants to proceed with this. Can't call at the moment due to other matters. Obviously, the frame needs to come back"

I then call and leave a message with True North over the situation….no response to this day from them.

I end up calling Misfit over the phone the following day or so...almost right off the bat he says...

"(sic) well...I can say I looked over the photos superficially and it's a crash, so it won't be warrantied."

That's when I get pretty angry and say "You have your top of the line bike broken...you look over it 'superficially', you never ask if I'm OK, and you say it's not warrantied....?" He then raises his voice at me and basically tells me that's not what he said, that he says things straight, and wants me to know my worst case scenario.

…this is where the ridiculousness begins. We then go over a few more e-mails being pissed off at each other (read: stupid decision on my part to post broken photos on the frame builders forum during this time). We finally get to discussing the return, and we agree for me to send the frame, headset, and fork back, as he didn't want me to risk tampering with the headtube. We decide on shipping it UPS at my expense with reimbursement to happen if it is deemed warranty. This was shipped to me initially by UPS, and no other method was ever discussed on shipping the broken frame back. I ship it out on 8/2/2010, send the UPS tracking info immediately. They receive it on 8/6/2010.

They take a look at it, and in an e-mail on 8/12/2010 say it was a material defect, it will be warrantied and there will be no charge to me. They also said they would pressure True North on a completion time. Finally some decent news!

A month rolls by…no news. Send an e-mail asking for an update on 9/8/2010. Received an e-mail saying the new tubing has been delivered, and True North would be putting it into production. They also thanked me for being patient.

Another month rolls by with no information so I send another e-mail asking for more information (10/8/2010), as to why my fork and headset are being held for so long. I also ask for reimbursement of the shipping, and if that $80 reimbursement of the powder still holds since I never did get it. I get no response on either of the first 2 matters, but I was told that I would not be receiving the $80 powder reimbursement he promised way back when.

My furor is mounting about how nearly everything I ask about is dodged. I send another e-mail displaying my anger of the situation…and explain why I'm angry.

I get no response to my angry e-mail. No surprise there.

I then get an e-mail on 10/26/2010 only asking if I want the headset reinstalled and what color decals. I give him that information, and also ask about shipping reimbursement again.

No response until 11/16/2010.

He then states my frame was picked up but they (Misfit or True North) could not tell if the tubing replaced was the proper tubing. It was thus cut out and replaced again with what he assured me to be the proper tubing...and was also replaced with somehting 10% stronger than what they normally put in. As you can probably tell…this made me furious on all ends, as to how such a ridiculous problem can happen. In addition, still no response on shipping reimbursement.

I start asking questions about getting receipts or certificates to at least somewhat prove that the frame is being built with the specified material I paid for. I also asked that he call me for once. Every call that we've ever had has been at my dime, so I refused to pay again. I still get no call. I stated that if I didn't receive a call, I'd be taking action by contacting his business partners with the e-mail chains we've had. I have yet to do that…as I figure this post will suffice.

He responded with some information on the materials used, but no proof. Just that the dissent uses more higher quality tubing than Salsa or Niner steel frames. He finally gave an apology on how F'ed up this situation has been, told me the new frame will be shipped out on Monday (11/22/2010), and told me to piss at whomever I'd like, as he can't see it doing any good.

He finally brought up the shipping reimbursement…and said in a previous inquiry he told me to scan the receipts in. Not true at all. This was the first time it has been addressed.

I send the scans the morning of 11/22/2010.

Get a message that the frame was shipped on the 23rd, and now he is saying that we never agreed on UPS performing the shipping and the costs were outrageous. He then asked why I used UPS…and said that the costs he paid in shipping so far is out of the question for reimbursing me the $100 I spent to ship the broken frame back. He also took the liberty to say UPS is the worst shipper in the world. If you've ever bought from Misfit...you'll know they use UPS to ship items to you.:confused:

So basically…I get 3 rides out of my initial $1400…I then spend an extra $100 to ship it back. I then don't have the frame, fork, or headset, from August until whenever it finally gets delivered. Plus, I'm sure I will be spending at least another $50 in fees upon receipt of the replacement as well. Plus I had to deal with this ridiculousness for 4 months….and he says that I can not be reimbursed for my shipping…?

Now time for my opinion…F'ing BS… the whole thing through. This has been the most miserable transaction I've ever had to go through without a doubt…by far. We all know small companies live and breathe by their customer service, and this is just plain sad. I really wish I bought ANY other frame, and dealt with ANY other company other than Misfit.

I will say most companies would not go through this much conversation with me...but the way he treated this situation throughout these conversations has been beyond terrible.

I'm sure many of you may realize that I don't even want to ride this frame, more out of me not wanting to be seen on it and supporting them…but I will be riding it. I will ride it because selling it does not transfer the warranty, and I will feel like the biggest d!ck if it breaks on the new owner, as I'm pretty positive Misfit won't help you out in the least. I will ride it for a while as a test, and if all is good, I will then try to sell it to recoup a fraction of my costs, but feel so much better knowing I'm not screwing anyone over. I know what I'm saying won't make a sale easy, but whatever….there are more important things than money. If it breaks on me again...I'm sure I'll be going through another 1/3 year from hell about a god damn bike.

Beyond that…make your own opinions.

Photos of the bike as it was first shipped, assembled, and then broken….linked here.
https://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz8/gearwhine/Misfit Dissent Broken/

-Edited dates due to a pointed out typo

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interested to see what the defendant has to say about all of this...so far compelling complaint. I've been interested in this company for some time but this may take them off the list if misfit doesn't have an amazing answer for you. Sucks it happened, hopefully the end will be good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel bad for you.

I have 2 steel frames built by True North, 1 thats 10 years old (still going strong) and one thats just being assembled. I have been by their shop countless times and can say that team at True North are class acts.

I can only assume that True North builds the frames to Misfits specifications, so its too bad they got there name dragged into this.

I dont know anything about misfit, but I can assure you there are thousands of satisfied True North customers out there.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mo$ey said:
I feel bad for you.

I have 2 steel frames built by True North, 1 thats 10 years old (still going strong) and one thats just being assembled. I have been by their shop countless times and can say that team at True North are class acts.

I can only assume that True North builds the frames to Misfits specifications, so its too bad they got there name dragged into this.

I dont know anything about misfit, but I can assure you there are thousands of satisfied True North customers out there.

My 2 cents
I wanted to wait to see responses before I made more comments...but I feel I need to need to elaborate on.

I already have spoken to many many people about this situation...I know how the small companies (particularly frame builders) live by. I don't mean to harm anybody not responsible for what's happened to me in this situation. But when I get crap products and service for such a large sum of money...I'm not going to be silent...I'm sorry. If I got a crap product, but good service on fixing it to make it right, this post never would've happened and I'd be on my merry way.

True North makes them to Misfit Specifications. Stuff breaks...even high quality stuff. I understand that. I knew True North to be a high quality builder, which is another reason I went with this particular frame.

My problems here that made me mention True North by name is 1) this is a frame they built and misfit advertises it as such 2) I did not receive a call back from them...but again...this is a Misfit bike...I should not have to deal with him. However, I never got to hear his side of the story, therefore maybe he can respond here, 3) It took 4 months for a front end warranty repair which is ludicrous (assuming it truly is done...I still haven't received a tracking #), and most importantly, 4) Misfit brought True North into every e-mail we exchanged...so it is a big part to this situation.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Subscribed...

I'm sorry for you. This situation sucks. You are more patient than I ever could've been. The timeline you described is simply not reasonable...I don't care how small the company is.

You should've had a replacement aluminum frame (or a refund, or something appealing) in hand in less than a week. Period. Regardless of the details, you are obviously upset enough to post about the negative experience...and Misfit should've never let it get this far. Period.

Sounds like Misfit's blog isn't the only "Lies n shite" realted to the company. And it will be interesting to see how they (he) responds to this thread.

Good luck. Sell the frame. Move on to something else, and try to forget about the costly mistake you endured. Bummer.

·
lurking since 1999
95 Posts
What a misfit of an organization.

Seriously, that sucks big time. Seems like going customn these days is almost a crap shoot. Not as bad as your frame but a crap shoot none the less.
That said, I have an IF cyclocross bike, superb customer service and SUPBERB bike.
As it should be for the price.

Sometimes small companies can make big mistakes.

money

·
Registered
45 Posts
gearwhine said:
I wanted to wait to see responses before I made more comments...but I feel I need to need to elaborate on.

I already have spoken to many many people about this situation...I know how the small companies (particularly frame builders) live by. I don't mean to harm anybody not responsible for what's happened to me in this situation. But when I get crap products and service for such a large sum of money...I'm not going to be silent...I'm sorry. If I got a crap product, but good service on fixing it to make it right, this post never would've happened and I'd be on my merry way.

True North makes them to Misfit Specifications. Stuff breaks...even high quality stuff. I understand that. I knew True North to be a high quality builder, which is another reason I went with this particular frame.

My problems here that made me mention True North by name is 1) this is a frame they built and misfit advertises it as such 2) I did not receive a call back from them...but again...this is a Misfit bike...I should not have to deal with him. However, I never got to hear his side of the story, therefore maybe he can respond here, 3) It took 4 months for a front end warranty repair which is ludicrous (assuming it truly is done...I still haven't received a tracking #), and most importantly, 4) Misfit brought True North into every e-mail we exchanged...so it is a big part to this situation.
I totally agree with you. I guess my question/issue is why did Misfit feel it necessary to bring TN into this. If you buy a car from Ford that has a warranty issue, they dont tell you to speak with thier suppliers, they fix the problem.

Either way, its an unfortunate situation for you and a crappy deal for True North.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Wow.....Sorry to hear about your awful experience but I have to thank you for posting this. The next bike I plan to add to my stable is a rigid 29er singlespeed and the dissent was on the top of my list. After reading this there is no doubt that I'm crossing Missfit off my list. There are too many other SS frame options out there.

·
Let's get weird
180 Posts
Aren't these the frames with the top tube mitered and tig'ed back together for standover clearance???

I try to stay out of these matters, but seeing your failure threw up a red flag and reminded me of the sample frame on their blog way back when. No need to introduce heat and stress into that area, plenty of other ways to make the bend while maintaining the integrity of one complete tube.
This may not be the direct cause of the failure, but I'd be interested to see the butting specs of the top tube and see the wall thickness at all three mitered joints along the top tube...could have had the wrong tubes spec'd to begin with (you said they replaced yours with a heavier wall or something) or accidentally flipped the butting profiles around during fitup and welding (thin walls at the st and ht, thick wall at the middle miter).
I doubt they would use an OX butted tube as the top tube because it would be difficult to weld the thin section of the tube safely and effectively, but...they state on their site that TT OX Pl. is the material and don't specify exactly where. Most builders use a blend of different tubing throughout the frame as not all TT products are drawn in all configurations (cs, ss, st etc...) and it would be a strange occurrence if a rider's weight and riding style called for all of a specific product line. It's been a while since I've ordered from the TT distributor, but I remember avoiding OX Platinum because of the thinner end butting on the range of tubing and went with a more "normalized" Verus and Verus HT tube that came in a heavier 9/6/9 butting profile and larger OD. I would most definitely have employed this same thought process if I was spec'ing a production run of custom bikes to cover the wide range of riders weights and styles and surely as f%&* would use a straight gauge 4130 tube for that top tube design.

Either way and personal opinions about the involved party aside, sounds like you got a raw deal.

·
Almost Human
2,920 Posts
It looks like the butting on the TT was either cut off or not long enough and the tube snapped where it tapers at the butting. If this is the case then it would be a manufacturing error not a material defect. (This would explain why they cut out and replaced the TT a second time).

So you've dropped $1400 on a frame that has had the TT cut out and replaced? Ouch.

Chances are they will be out of business in a few years and if something else breaks you be unable to get a warranty replacement. Get rid of it asap. Don't ride it. Sell it.

BTW I'm going to sell my Dekerf's. I have (2) 17.5" Generations. They're softer 631 Reynolds. If you're interested drop me a line.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=595815

1 - 20 of 477 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.