Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have stopped and turned around, but I kept going, and it got worse.

I ride in MA, and after a "bad" ride yesterday, I was determined to have a better ride tonight, so I went to a new spot(mistake #1) to try my luck. After getting lost, even though I had a map, I ended up on a trail that hadn't been ridden, much less maintained, in quite some time. Came upon a rock garden that didn't quit, and I was happy with doing it...until the end, when I couldn't see an endo maker hiding in the overgrown grass. Sent me over the bar, scraped up my arm nicely. After regrouping, I continued on and actually did well for having just crashed.

Checked out the map, found a trail that looked good, away from main trails and such. Mistake #2. Trail hadn't been maintained, other than by hundreds of motorbikes, so I walked several ruts, but was riding some. Instead of hittin this very wet patch, a ride around was already established, so I tried it...and in the sticks ripped my rear derailler off. Clean off. After many swears, both before and after I realized how far from any thing like a road, I walked my bike out, I don't carry a chain tool so I wrapped the chain as best I could and VERY slowly made my way back to my car, it only took 2 hours. Fun. Dark. Hurt.

Worst part is, I have just kinda turned a corner, riding more, feeling confident to ride more difficult/technical stuff. I hope this doesn't throw this too far off. Then again, I've lurked here for a while, and needed a passion story. Cheers, I'm 2 beers in.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You toughed it out like a man and made it home to drink beer. That should make you MORE confident, not less.
Don't **** it up by whining about it on the internet, and always carry a set of tools .:D

·
Registered
978 Posts
You went out there had a good ride, sh$$t happen, it is not always only fun and games...;)
It will happen again - part of the MTBing, don't let it put you down, fix the bike, get a chain tool :nono:
Go out as soon as you can and ride :thumbsup:

·
Registered
673 Posts
well I was pumped up for a ride today, it was my first day off in 5 days, it was 75 degrees out, no clouds in the sky with a slight breeze. absolutely a perfect day in maine. I decided to go to a new trail i've never been. 20 minutes into my ride, I try to ride over a drop, I pull up on my bars and my hands slipped off. No handed endo over a 3 foot drop. Head landed on a rock, helmet saved my life, scrapped up left side, bruised knee, cheese gratered thigh, bent brake lever and untrue wheel out of it. I had to walk the bike down to the trail head and sit by my car wondering whether or not I had a concussion. A headache ensued and I went home. 45 minute drive for a 20 minute ride. **** day...but I did order a new set of wtb weirwolfs!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.