2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • 20" Frame
  • Salsa Pro Scandium SUL 100x0 31.8 stem
  • Salsa Pro Moto Flat 31.8 bar
  • RaceFace Dues headset
  • Avid Juicy Carbon brakes
  • Reba SL
  • WTB/Delgado wheels (front wheel is my first hand build)
  • Hone crankset w/Blackspire Mono Veloce 32t ring
  • SRAM PC58 chain
  • Endless Bike Co. Kick Ass Cog 19t
  • Exiwolf tires
  • Shimano M540 pedals
  • Specialized BG MTB grips

Ride report to follow soon...

·
Not really that big!
368 Posts
Ohhh ...You're killing me!

I want to upgrade from my Rig to the El Mariachi soo bad. I love the geometry of my Dos Niner and long for the fluid handling on the SS too. Great build! Can't wait for the ride report.:cool:

·
Registered
836 Posts
welcome to the club!

you'll love the El Mariachi, but if you don't, you can sell it to me at half price:D

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
Hurl said:
looks clean. Like those Hone cranks, too.
My thoughts exactly... I've got an Evolve DH crank waiting to go on my El M when it arrives next week. Gimme the stiffness!

Congrats on the x-tra fine new ride.

Cheers,
MG

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ride Report

A few post-ride pictures...

I've ridden this bike 3 days in a row and really like it. I'm just coming off of a pretty bad anti-riding funk and what better way to thwart off cont'd slumpage than a new bike!!!

Different ride/feel than my previous 29'er SS's (Kona UNIT/Explosif 2-9 & On One Inbred). Would it be safe to say more of an East Coast geometry? Anyways, that's what it feels like to me. I could see this bike just ruling the woods... But it doesn't feel too bad out here in the desert either.

Currently running 32x19 and don't quite have the legs for extended climbing yet. From what I can tell of the bike it climbs real well. I've got a 100mm (0 degree) Salsa stem with Pro Moto flat bars (31.8 and 28.5" wide, jeez that is WIDE). The wide bars seem to tame the front end a little. 72 degree HT angle with an 80mm Reba is a little different than what I'm used to BUT I'm warming up to it quite nicely.

I had to adjust my EBB once during today's ride. I noticed a little extra chain slack during a break. Can anyone tell me how much to torque the EBB? I remember one guy saying to just snug it up (as opposed to cranking it down) and it won't creak on you. So far feels like a real solid EBB setup though...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Nice! Have you tried out the El M fork yet? I started out with a Reba as well, and finally gave the fork a whirl. It's a single track beast full rigid.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
cycljunkie said:
A few post-ride pictures...

I've ridden this bike 3 days in a row and really like it. I'm just coming off of a pretty bad anti-riding funk and what better way to thwart off cont'd slumpage than a new bike!!!

Different ride/feel than my previous 29'er SS's (Kona UNIT/Explosif 2-9 & On One Inbred). Would it be safe to say more of an East Coast geometry? Anyways, that's what it feels like to me. I could see this bike just ruling the woods... But it doesn't feel too bad out here in the desert either.

I had to adjust my EBB once during today's ride. I noticed a little extra chain slack during a break. Can anyone tell me how much to torque the EBB? I remember one guy saying to just snug it up (as opposed to cranking it down) and it won't creak on you. So far feels like a real solid EBB setup though...
Nice... Thanks for the update. I was a bit surprised by you saying it had a more 'east coast' geometry, because in my mind that conjures images of a super high BB and very steep angles. That said, I won't tell you you're wrong -- I can't wait to experience the ride for myself!

My El Mariachi frameset arrived today -- that green color is incredible in-person! Talk about giddy... I can't wait to build it up!

As for the Eccentric, Bushnell Tandems (www.bushnelltandems.com) says that the proper torque for the 4mm hex wedge bolt is 75-90 inch pounds (8.5-10Nm).

Cheers,
MG

·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mgersib said:
I was a bit surprised by you saying it had a more 'east coast' geometry, because in my mind that conjures images of a super high BB and very steep angles. That said, I won't tell you you're wrong
Honestly I don't even know what 'east coast' geometry is... I guess what I was getting at is the bike feels a little steeper than my two previous 29'er frames. I might try to run the Reba at 90-100mm and see if it feels more like what I'm used to. I'm actually enjoying the way it rides right now so it's all good even if the Reba stays @ 80mm! :thumbsup:

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
cycljunkie said:
Honestly I don't even know what 'east coast' geometry is... I guess what I was getting at is the bike feels a little steeper than my two previous 29'er frames. I might try to run the Reba at 90-100mm and see if it feels more like what I'm used to. I'm actually enjoying the way it rides right now so it's all good even if the Reba stays @ 80mm! :thumbsup:
LOL... I too attribute steep angles to a more 'east coast' mentality. I think what caught me up is the fact that, in my mind, 'east coast geo' also equals a high bottom bracket, which the El M definitely doesn't have. In fact the lower BB is one aspect of Salsa's designs I especially like, because at 6'1" tall, I need all the help I can get achieving a low center of gravity.

My Dos Niner really likes a 90mm travel Reba. For me, that's the sweet spot. It'll be interesting to see if my El Mariachi is the same way, or if it prefers shorter (or longer) travel.

Right now it's going to run fully rigid, and I'm looking forward to that simplicity... It'll be my first rigid mountain bike in almost a decade.

As long as you're having fun on the bike, it's all good!

Cheers,
MG

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice bike if you lose the suspension fork. Suspension forks and standing up crankin' climbing don't mix with a singlespeed. Peace.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
mgersib said:
My Dos Niner really likes a 90mm travel Reba. For me, that's the sweet spot.
Did you simply shave down the included travel limiters?

I've been thinking of doing this on my Reba. It was designed around a 500mm A-C fork. I've tried it at 510 and 490 and I'd like to get it to its designed spec.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
imbabob said:
Nice bike if you lose the suspension fork. Suspension forks and standing up crankin' climbing don't mix with a singlespeed. Peace.
Not so..not with the lockout on the Reba. I stand up and mash hard up hills with a Reba and it's fine.. :thumbsup:

The lockout on the Reba is very good.

R.

·
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mgersib said:
My Dos Niner really likes a 90mm travel Reba.
I cut a Reba spacer in half and set the travel to 90mm. The parking lot ride out in front of my house felt good (more like what I'm used to). I think it should lend itself well to the rocky AZ terrain. I'll give it a few rides this weekend and post up...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bottom Bracket Height: It is true that in the low position of the EBB the EL Mariachi does have a low BB. I to like the low BB given that I'm 6'2" and have a hard time fitting bikes at times. However, you can flip the bushnell and run it in the "high" position which will give a 15mm higher BB position. I have done this on my SS and it certainly is a very noticeable experience. The bike felt even more nimble in tight terrain. Getting the front end, up and over things was easier as a result of the ability to shift weight over the rear axle faster and of course the likelyhood of a pedal smack was much lower. Give it a try on your SS, or geared EL M, flip the bushnell to the high side, adjust your saddle height and see what you think.

·
Not really that big!
368 Posts
Great Looking Bike

That thing looks sweet, Beckman. I can't wait to see one fo the green ones in person. Right now I'm a little partial to the blue, but I really dig the looks of your ride too. I am having a hard time justifying the need to get an El Moochie because my Rig is just fine but I have to look at this thread several times a day to see all the sweetness from Salsa!:cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts