Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Frequent Crasher
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my El Kaboing up on Monte Sano in Huntsville, AL.
The bike is built with SRAM XO RD and Shifters, X9 FD, Race Face Atlas AM Crank, Race Face Evolve Seatpost. I am running an older Pike coil U-turn fork, Juicy 5 brakes (really starting to dislike these), Specialized Adrenaline pro 2.2 Tires, Salsa Loco bar, and a FSA stem.

I like the pike fork for this bike as I prefer a slacker ride. I can always dial it down for extended climbing.

I have had some terrible chain suck on this bike. I have had the FD adjusted but today I figured out the issue. When the rear suspension hits full travel and the chain is on the granny ring, the chain will get stuck on top of the chainstay. I can actually keep pedalling as the chain is still on the granny ring. The first time this happened I had to break the chain, as I had no clue how it happened. Well now that I was paying attention, I noticed the next time it happened, and could compress the suspension to get it to clear. I have the shock pumped up to the high end of the suggested pressures for my 225#. Any suggestions on how to prevent this. I had a local shop check it out, and he seemed to think it should be okay.

Attachments

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
SuperBad said:
Here is my El Kaboing up on Monte Sano in Huntsville, AL.
The bike is built with SRAM XO RD and Shifters, X9 FD, Race Face Atlas AM Crank, Race Face Evolve Seatpost. I am running an older Pike coil U-turn fork, Juicy 5 brakes (really starting to dislike these), Specialized Adrenaline pro 2.2 Tires, Salsa Loco bar, and a FSA stem.

I like the pike fork for this bike as I prefer a slacker ride. I can always dial it down for extended climbing.

I have had some terrible chain suck on this bike. I have had the FD adjusted but today I figured out the issue. When the rear suspension hits full travel and the chain is on the granny ring, the chain will get stuck on top of the chainstay. I can actually keep pedalling as the chain is still on the granny ring. The first time this happened I had to break the chain, as I had no clue how it happened. Well now that I was paying attention, I noticed the next time it happened, and could compress the suspension to get it to clear. I have the shock pumped up to the high end of the suggested pressures for my 225#. Any suggestions on how to prevent this. I had a local shop check it out, and he seemed to think it should be okay.
Wow... That is super sweet... Sorry to hear about your chainsuck. I have a Big Mama and I've never experienced that phenomenon, personally, in eight months of riding it. I'll have to keep trying!! ;-)

But enjoy the new ride... Great work on the build!

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi! guys ,the location is in Palawan,the last frontier of the Philippines.

you will enjoy the 8km downhill ,and specially the beautiful white sand and clear warm waters of south china sea,

if you happen to get lost in this paradise,i will be happy to be your personal tour guide.

P.S. please bring your salsa bikes!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm really surprised at the lack of EK love in this forum. For uphill off camber rock crawling to pointing my bike down said rocks, its the best riding trail bike Ive ever been on. Mine is setup with XT/SLX and comes in around 29.5 pounds for the 20 inch. My frame and shock came in at 7 pounds even (fwiw). I do love the above build though, Ive pulled up this thread more than a few times.

·
NedwannaB
12,768 Posts
Yeah why is that?

Meatrack said:
I'm really surprised at the lack of EK love in this forum.
Not too many threads popup, unless you do a specific search for them, then there's quite a few. Could be they're on the little heavy for a 5" travel and atypical rr suspension as others have mentioned?? Not sure but they're starting to get my attention, seems burly enough.

Dariomac hasn't posted back yet, but I'm thinking that build should be around 27-28lbs, was pricey to get there though I would think. :skep:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm thinking about picking one of these up. Any ride impressions or status of the chain suck thing mentioned above? Do you guys still love your EL Kaboings after a season of riding?

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Dave_C said:
I'm thinking about picking one of these up. Any ride impressions or status of the chain suck thing mentioned above?
I do not have an El Kaboing, so cannot comment from experience, but I can point you to two blog entries mentioning chain suck with the similarly-designed Big Mama:

http://twentynineinches.com/2009/08/17/salsa-cycles-big-mama-final-review/

http://twentynineinches.com/2009/07/13/salsa-cycles-big-mama-mid-term/

One of the commenters on the mid-term review mentions suck. The author of the final review mentions it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally shot some photos of my ElK the other day...

Stock Shimano build with Crank Bros 5050 pedals

Haven't really been able to get it out much yet because everything is still a muddy mess up here but I can't wait to really hit some trails.

I guess I should also mention that it is replacing this bad boy...

It was wayy to small, old(bought it new in around '98), and cheap but it's the reason why I love mountain biking and what drove me to buy my current ride.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Some nice looking EK's in this thread! I considered one, but went with a Big Mama instead...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been riding my size Medium El Kaboing since February. Probably put 100+ trail miles on it with no chain suck issues. The ride is very nice and well balanced. Easy to finesse over and around obstacles in the trail. I had the bike built up with a Shimano XT crankset, took the big ring off and installed a bash guard. I might be wrong but I believe I've heard that running it as a 2x9 reduces chain suck issues. Anyway, when I bought the frame, I moved my components over from a Litespeed Niota AL frame, kept the Litespeed frame around for a while in case I wanted to go back. The Litespeed frame has been sold.

The setup is around a pound or so heavier than the Litespeed but climbing ability is equal or better and descending is definitely better. Both bikes were setup with a 140mm Fox Float fork and 5 inches of rear travel.

Bike setup
Medium Frame
Fox Float QR15 140mm fork
Shimano XT group w/dual control hydro shifter/brake levers
Thomson post and stem (90mm)
Mavic XC717 wheelset
Kenda Nevegal tires w/2.35 front and 2.1 rear

Hope this info helps. I would not hesitate to pick one up, especially at the prices I've seen lately.

·
NedwannaB
12,768 Posts
Price check

tcrusher said:
I would not hesitate to pick one up, especially at the prices I've seen lately.
I was at Cambria and they had a pretty clean demo for $2150. Same xt build as yours except mech disc in liew of hydro. Seem fair?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts