Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Mongoose Blackcomb off of Ebay for $120. Someone had been jumping it and the wheels and fork were trashed as well as the bottom bracket. I got a set of Vuelta Wheels for about $80, a Dart 2 fork I pwaid $79 for a year ago, an Easton seatpoist for $15, and an Ebay (never heard of this) Chasertech rear shock for $39...with rebound adjust, then I got some Deore XT derailleurs from Ebay for about $20 each. A trip to the bike shop to apply the parts was about $75 and they repaired the bottom bracket bearing. So, I got a little over $400 in it. The frame was checked out due to the abuse the bike had sustained and it was good which tells me that though heavy the frame is very tough. A co-worker has an Iron Horse Warrior he paid about $600 for. I feel my creation has equivalent or better performance...and I started with a Walgoose. It is way less bouncy in the ride than the Iron Horse and that is for sure. It seems I can ride it over just about anything and it glides over the obstacle like a hovercraft compared to the Trek 6000 hard tail I have been riding. I don't care about resale. My wife will eventually inherit it when I get another Dual suspension frame to build on. It weights 38lbs which is comparable to the weight of the Iron Horse.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, the Promax brakes that came with it were also dogged so I did also add Tectro Disc brakes I bought used for $40...so I guess my whole deal is just over $450.000. Still it's not bad to have something this good to ride.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i like my trek 6000 better than my wallgoose to slow going up

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Trek is from late 90s and has a solid fork (it weighs 34 pounds so not much lighter). It rides damn good, but a day of riding over rocky trails leaves an old man like me (45) a little jostled. The rebound on the Chasertech shock can be adjusted to where the bounce is minimum going up hill. It is also a very stiff shock which is good...just a little padding is all I want.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Atl said:
I bought a Mongoose Blackcomb off of Ebay for $120. Someone had been jumping it and the wheels and fork were trashed as well as the bottom bracket. I got a set of Vuelta Wheels for about $80, a Dart 2 fork I pwaid $79 for a year ago, an Easton seatpoist for $15, and an Ebay (never heard of this) Chasertech rear shock for $39...with rebound adjust, then I got some Deore XT derailleurs from Ebay for about $20 each. A trip to the bike shop to apply the parts was about $75 and they repaired the bottom bracket bearing. So, I got a little over $400 in it. The frame was checked out due to the abuse the bike had sustained and it was good which tells me that though heavy the frame is very tough. A co-worker has an Iron Horse Warrior he paid about $600 for. I feel my creation has equivalent or better performance...and I started with a Walgoose. It is way less bouncy in the ride than the Iron Horse and that is for sure. It seems I can ride it over just about anything and it glides over the obstacle like a hovercraft compared to the Trek 6000 hard tail I have been riding. I don't care about resale. My wife will eventually inherit it when I get another Dual suspension frame to build on. It weights 38lbs which is comparable to the weight of the Iron Horse.

lolz

a bunch of random mish-mashed together parts randomly on a heavy poorly designed MG frame + it weighs a ton. NICE!

how much do u weigh? i hope you're light as fuc k cuz those wheels aren't going to handle much of anything more than light flat XC and that fork sure ain't gunna do much either!

but anyway. go take a ride on ur bike, u just wasted mad money on it! lol

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
What's with all the negativity? Granted, for the money spent, he would have been better off on a good old hardtail, but that is what he ended up with. No reason to go and try to discourage him from riding it - it's about getting out there and riding, not necessarily what you are riding.

OP - enjoy the new ride. Run it into the ground and don't spend money on it, unless broken parts need to be replaced. Learn on it and become a stronger rider. Maybe down the road you could think about taking the parts to a different frame.

Whatever you do, do not pass that off on your wife....those would be grounds for divorce.

·
Registered
531 Posts
lol...you guys are dicks. hey ATL...just ride it. you will fall in love with the sport or you wont. if you dont, no big deal. ride around and have fun. if you do...you will be itching to waste all your hard earned money on bikes and parts like its heroin. if you catch the adiction you will most likely destroy that bike in short order, and you will be happy for the excuse to buy something new. your wife will be pissed. all day at work you will be zoning out thinking about riding. you will get fired and your wife will leave you. you will live in a box under a bridge with your dope ass bike. you will be very happy with your simplified life.

·
On wuss patrol
4,989 Posts
blue109 said:
lol...you guys are dicks. hey ATL...just ride it. you will fall in love with the sport or you wont. if you dont, no big deal. ride around and have fun. if you do...you will be itching to waste all your hard earned money on bikes and parts like its heroin. if you catch the adiction you will most likely destroy that bike in short order, and you will be happy for the excuse to buy something new. your wife will be pissed. all day at work you will be zoning out thinking about riding. you will get fired and your wife will leave you. you will live in a box under a bridge with your dope ass bike. you will be very happy with your simplified life.
This is good. Just get a real good lock and sleep with one eye open.

To the OP, enjoy the ride and continue as you were--stay on established trails, please.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ncfisherman said:
What's with all the negativity? Granted, for the money spent, he would have been better off on a good old hardtail, but that is what he ended up with. No reason to go and try to discourage him from riding it - it's about getting out there and riding, not necessarily what you are riding.

OP - enjoy the new ride. Run it into the ground and don't spend money on it, unless broken parts need to be replaced. Learn on it and become a stronger rider. Maybe down the road you could think about taking the parts to a different frame.

Whatever you do, do not pass that off on your wife....those would be grounds for divorce.
the OP is a big boy, else he wouldn't be allowed on these forums or spend $400 on a bike. Discourage? what is this, the 2nd grade? this is a forum, hes going to be told things that aren't flat out lies, like "hey, your bike is hot!" The OP's not a baby, he can handle some real opinions, right?

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
C'mon ATL, you are totally trolling. 450 bucks? 38 lbs? Comparable to the weight of an Iron Horse Warrior? Right. This is all just a rouse isn't it? It's okay. We know.

1 - 20 of 291 Posts