Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tex,

I like the heat sink use. May I suggest a slight different approach. Instead of using 1x1 tubing, use 1 x 2. Mount the LED directly on the heat sink which would form the back of the unit. Then either below or on the side of the led, place the driver.

Check for a thread under my user name to see an example of one I built using two SSC P4's.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here are some pictures of my just completed light. My first light project and my first time working with aluminum.

Here is some parts so you can see how I attached the tubing to the heat sink.

The heat sinks were reclaimed from an aluminum CPU heat sink. The heat sink was very thick on the bottom and obviously too large. I was able to trim it down to a reasonable size using my table saw.

Each light is powered by it's own 700ma buck puck. The light weighs in at 6.6oz and will be used for my bar light. I'm also building a helmet light that will be a single MCE and will have the heat sinks on the sides so that it won't stick up as high.

I still need to clean it up. There is some JB weld on the base that is still setting.

One thing the pictures don't show is there is a small piece of rubber mounted on each light where they meet. This allows some give when the screws compress the lights together which makes for easy adjusting but yet can be tight enough that it shouldn't move when I ride. The rubber also provides a gap between the lights for additional surface area.

I figure that each light has about 28 square inches of surface area and should burn about 10 watts.(total 20 watts and 56 sq inches of surface area).

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
I was just thinking it is time someone posted another interesting new build and voila... there it is!

I really like the adjustability of the beam which should make for best use of all that light. What did you do for optics?

I can see it is all covered in mud, how was it for cooling on the ride? I assume it didn't really get above ambient while moving.

well done :thumbsup:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks. currently have boom reflectors in there 1 spot and one medium. It's not mud on the thing. It's some adhesive that I need to clean off.

ocean breathes salty said:
I was just thinking it is time someone posted another interesting new build and voila... there it is!

I really like the adjustability of the beam which should make for best use of all that light. What did you do for optics?

I can see it is all covered in mud, how was it for cooling on the ride? I assume it didn't really get above ambient while moving.

well done :thumbsup:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I checked out your light. Very nice. using that approach it would have been difficult to have the 2 beams point in different parts of the trail My intent is to have the flood light pointing down a bit and the spot light pointing up the trail.

astasoftride said:
Tex,

I like the heat sink use. May I suggest a slight different approach. Instead of using 1x1 tubing, use 1 x 2. Mount the LED directly on the heat sink which would form the back of the unit. Then either below or on the side of the led, place the driver.

Check for a thread under my user name to see an example of one I built using two SSC P4's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I do like the independantly variable angle setup. I was suggesting that you just build them a little differently. I personally think that mounting the LED's directly on the heat sink works a little better.

Cut one LED off of mine and stand it vertical. Now mount two of them together. Same size as yours, but much less cutting :) Of course I had to drill a couple of holes to secure the lens cover.

How well does it handle the heat of the MCE's? I am thinking of building some MCE ones after the start of the new year :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Having it mounted as you suggest provides a better heat transfer path to the heat sink which is very nice. My design results in better airflow over the fins, allowing them work more efficiently.

I'm looking forward to seeing your light if you end up building it in the new year.

I have not yet ridden it yet, Seems to transfer the heat well best I can tell. Considering the surface area to power ratio I'm not too worried about heat buildup.

astasoftride said:
Yea, I do like the independantly variable angle setup. I was suggesting that you just build them a little differently. I personally think that mounting the LED's directly on the heat sink works a little better.

Cut one LED off of mine and stand it vertical. Now mount two of them together. Same size as yours, but much less cutting :) Of course I had to drill a couple of holes to secure the lens cover.

How well does it handle the heat of the MCE's? I am thinking of building some MCE ones after the start of the new year :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Looks great Tex. You definitely won't have any heat buildup problems. My Dual MC-E has much less heatsink area and it runs cool on the trail after two test rides in about 65F OAT and average 10MPH speed. Granted I am only running each MC-E @ 500mA, but I doubt you'll have heat problems. What optics are you using?
Let us know how the individually adjustable beam angle thing works out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks achesalot. currently have a boom ss and a boom medium. My plan is to point the medium to the ground about 15 feet in front of me then the spot further down the trail. I wish the booms provided more spot and less of a flood. I liked the look of your back yard with the IMS20. Was disappointed that there was a donut effect, hopefully the clear spatter will help there. If not I guess I'll live with what I have and hope someone comes out with a better MC-E spot option in the future.

achesalot said:
Looks great Tex. You definitely won't have any heat buildup problems. My Dual MC-E has much less heatsink area and it runs cool on the trail after two test rides in about 65F OAT and average 10MPH speed. Granted I am only running each MC-E @ 500mA, but I doubt you'll have heat problems. What optics are you using?
Let us know how the individually adjustable beam angle thing works out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Took the light for a ride.

The individual beam was nice it gave me a longer light field. During the ride the light ran nice and cool. The optics were disappointing. It seemed like both the boom ss and boom medium were mostly flood lights, not spot lights. The result was that there was lots of light close in which was very nice but it was not very penetrating. This seems fine for a bar light and I was using my trailtech HID for my headlamp and that gave me a spot light which was very much needed.

I was originally going to build a single MCE for my headlamp, but now I'm thinking that unless they come up with some better optics that is not the way to go for the headlight. Have not decided what to do for the headlamp. May just build a aschelot type light for my headlamp.

·
Registered
576 Posts
changed reflector.

I changed my reflectors to be a boom ss and a modified IMS20.

To modify the IMS20 I just increased the size of the hole(as others suggested). There are some very minor multi-led artifacts with the IMS20, but not anything I noticed while riding so I won't bother doing the clear acrylic splatter. The IMS20 gave me a nice spot with plenty of throw and the boom SS gave me a nice flood. I'm no expert on LED optics, but I'm very happy with this setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.