Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancee got home yesterday to Zocchi, our pointer/aussie cattle dog mix (not the pup in my avatar), acting funny, not wagging her tail at all or anything like that. She eventually took her to the vet after not being able to figure out what was wrong, and he find out she fractured one of the vertebrae in her tail. Her poor tail just sits there at a funny angle and she can't really move it at all. What's worse is it hurts so bad for her that she won't sit down, she hasn't all day today. I had to pick her up and lay her on her side last night when we went to sleep, and she barely moved at all for the whole night. The vet said that if the nerve endings at the fracture end up dying, they'd have to amputate her tail! Weird injury, out of all the dogs I've been around growing up and what not, this is the first time I've ever heard of the happening. I wanted to post to see if anyone had anything similar happen to their dogs before.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AWWW, healing vibes coming her way! im sure everything will be fine, dogs are tough and heal in ways humans can never do sometimes...

well if it makes you feel any better my doggie does just fine without a tail (english springer spaniel, tail removed during 1st shots as a pup)

·
Wrench-O-Phile
262 Posts
Our Lab sprained her tail.

We went for a hike with some water and the next day she just wouldn't wag anymore. To say hello or even when fed... which was very abnormal. We called the vet as we were afraid something serious had happened. First thing she asked was if our dog had recently been swimming. The answer was yes. We were told Labs (maybe other dogs) use their tales to propel and guide themselves somewhat in the water, and a sprain of this sort is fairly common.

After a week or so our pup started to slowly wag again. Sorry that the injury in your case sounds more serious.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vader said:
Sorry about your dog. At least her hips look good from what I can see from the film.
Funny thing, within the past year she also dislocated her rear left hip by running into a post for our patio cover pretty hard. So good to hear that they look good!

Thank you though! I will send her all the good healing vibes! With treats!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pup. Hope she heals quickly!

One of my cats has a crooked tail that the vet says is from her tail breaking. He said it sometimes happens in the womb. We found her as a juvenile, so I don't know for sure what happened. Her tail sort of juts off to the side about halfway down. It causes her no problems, but it looks kind of funny!

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,489 Posts
My younger one wags so hard, ALL the time, he broke the very end of his. Skin and all. That was tough. A working breed, so they feel no pain, he just kept at it, reopening the skin, spray painting our walls with blood. If he didn't look so happy doing it, I would have been madder, poor guy.... Super glue finally solved that problem, and now his last inch of tail sits at a slightly funny angle :D

Hope she heals fast, plenty of lovin' helps the process!:thumbsup:

·
the #1 Stunna'
500 Posts
awwww. my dog for the first 3 years of his life broke his tail like every 3rd month. he would get so exited and wag his tail into the corner of the wall or table or whatever. it was sad to see him in pain, he was so sad that he could not wag his tail :(

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zocchi says thanks Lucy! And she would not be able to help Lucy to stop destroying things, as she is the queen of destruction in our house.

I haven't taken Zocchi out riding, partly because my other dog Yeti is a much better trail dog, and also partly because in the past couple years my riding has centered around either downhilling or road riding. However, I'm getting a new Intense Tracer for Christmas, so hopefully I'll be able to get one if not both of them out there with me, although I'm sure getting them trained for that will be a while other adventure in itself.

This is a picture of her yesterday exploring snow in our backyard for the first time. She's been here in Las Vegas since the beginning and has never even seen the stuff. Her tail pretty much just sits there and doesn't really move. She has started to wag the end of it, and she's stopped uncontrollably shaking, which i figure is some progress. But thanks again to all the good wishes for her recovery!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.