Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I disassembled a Topeak seatpost mounted rack. I didn't have to destroy the rack either, just removed two screws and slid the rack off the post. It makes for a great mount since it already has a seatpost clamp on it, is angled slightly, and is not a tubular so the mount doesn't slip. The video is turned out really good. Unfortunately I uploaded it to facebook so I cannot share it right now. When I get home I will upload to youtube and repost. I just thought I would share in case you have one of these racks laying around.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,042 Posts
Aren't you going to get a lot of leg in the video?
Sure...but it's still an intresting angle. You can still see plenty of what's ahead on the trail.

I did something similar, just mounted directly to the chain stay near the rear axle. Haven't tried this view on a trail ride yet, though.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
That'll be cool to get little snippets of footage to cut into a video. It'd be interesting to point the rack up so you get almost a follow-cam

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That'll be cool to get little snippets of footage to cut into a video. It'd be interesting to point the rack up so you get almost a follow-cam
Then you get ass shots the whole ride. I have been playing with angles to blend together for a short ride video. I have 2 GoPros now, so it is a lot easier to just ride.

As for the leg shot, it does suck. I thought about extending the mount with a piece of PVC tubing, but then there might be to much flex in the mount.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,042 Posts
I don't think it's a big deal, the leg shot. Kinda like seeing the arms from a chesty shot.

My biggest concern would be forgetting the camera is there, railing a tight right hand turn near a tree, or a rock, and POW.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In some of the shots I did, you can hear the camera hitting brush. I really didn't even notice it while riding.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I hope you put an aluminum pin in the mount so that it can peal away if you catch it on a tree or fall on that size. If the mount was too ridged it could put a lot of stress into the frame in a direction its not really built to handle it with that long lever arm.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is mounted to the actual seat post, not the frame. It is also snugged just enough to not move while riding, but will pivot in the clamp if I lay the bike down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Follow cam aye... I'm gonna give that a go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts