Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marshall (sideways) from Endless sent me a bolt-on fixed cog awhile back. I only got one ride on it(with a front brake) before I needed to take it off for a while. I was testing other stuff and I didn't want to do it while the bike was fixed. It was hard enough concentrating on that.
Yesterday was my first day back on it without the brakes. I rode it around work all day and then about 10 miles on the trail last night. That was by far the coolest experience I have had in a while. I haven't ridden with such focus in a long time. It isn't easy to keep up with others as you really can't let it get out of hand, but I was suprised just how fast you can go. Railing around corners, it just felt like all wheel drive.
Try it. You might like it. It won't be an everyday thing for me, but I will throw the wheel on once and awhile. You can't have the same fun your used to (like jumping and such), just a different kind of fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Man,

I would really think about running a front brake when you do that! I often try to ride without having resort to the safety brake, and its beautiful when you can do that, but there are those rare instances like last week (on the trail) or this morning (on the road) when you throw or snap a chain at high speed, and maybe there is a tree or a steep drop off or a car or something in your path, and it sure is nice to be able to grab that brake and endo your a** out of the situation! :eek:

Nice ride.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred Flinstone

I got used to riding my fixie at work so I am already used to the no brake thing. Chain loss requires a quick cylosross to a Fred Flinstone move. It just felt neat knowing that the brake wasn't there.
To each his own. I think if I wasn't on a brakeless fixie 5 days a week I wouldn't be venturing off-road sans brakes.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,696 Posts
Always nice to see...

Another fixed rider in the dirt! There's no possible way that I could run sans brake off road, but if your skills are up to it, go get 'em, liger!
I toyed with the idea of a bolt-on cog for a while, but since I really have no interest in riding freewheel anymore, I don't need to worry about that. Just how to afford a Phil fixed-fixed now...
Enjoy it, man. I haven't used a freewheel on or off road in about 6 months. You've got a lot more fixed experience on road, so don't be surprised if you don't want to go back! :D

the los

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It can't be permanent.

I do a decent amount of endurance racing and riding in the Pisgah Mtns. I don't see using a fixed in either scenario. I do think that I will be putting it on from time to time, and running it alot in the off-season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.