Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ride like a girl
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My daughter wanted to race the sparkler edition of the Firecracker 50 race in Breckenridge, Colorado (14 miles of the 25 mile course). She raced it last year and she wanted to compete in it again this year, to see if she could beat her time (which she did)! Anthony was demoing bikes that day and I wasn't motivated to race on a team, so I was Ari's paparazzi for the race. I thoroughly enjoyed riding it, as opposed to racing it. Plus the 14 miles was just the perfect distance.

A little snack at the start line. The racers ride in a parade at the start of the race. Ari likes to slap the hands of the kids watching as she started off.

Ohhh, it climbs, and climbs (yes, the first part of the climb is on pavement). Each 25 mile lap has 5400' of climbing, I'm taking a wild guess the sparkler course has at least 2000' of climbing (if not a little more).

As a racer, I wasn't able to really enjoy these views. The weather was absolutely perfect on this 2008 July 4th.

She even got a water bottle, took a large gulp, and threw it down.

That is my girl, riding up the steep, loose stuff as others walked!

Oh yeah, time to go to the finish!

After the race, she was all smiles when she found out she beat her time by 11 minutes from last year.

ahhh....it must be lonely at the top :thumbsup: way to go to represent Black Sheep Juniors Cycling

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was at the turn off after 'Nightmare on Baldy' and I remember you guys coming down...you stopped to take a picture and your daughter says "come on Mom lets go, hurry" Awesome! Congratulations!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Carrie, that is Awesome! I'm so stoked for Ari - what a fantastic acomplishment. I can't begin to imagine the pride you must feel. Makes me all light headed! Hopefully Victor like to ride bikes 1/10th as much as Ari does - though he'd have a hard time keeping up.

crd said:

That is my girl, riding up the steep, loose stuff as others walked!
'Ride like a Girl' indeed. I see we have another young lady to add to the 'Ladies that kick serious Booty' club! Like mother, like daughter...

Congrats to local Santa Fe boy done good, Mike McCalla - 2nd place in mens open! Sick fast mofo.

·
ride like a girl
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FT$ said:
I was at the turn off after 'Nightmare on Baldy' and I remember you guys coming down...you stopped to take a picture and your daughter says "come on Mom lets go, hurry" Awesome! Congratulations!
Thanks!! She was pretty psyched about the race, but she feared the next section: tight singletrack when the pro-men wanted to pass!!

·
ride like a girl
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
glenzx said:
Carrie, that is Awesome! I'm so stoked for Ari - what a fantastic acomplishment. I can't begin to imagine the pride you must feel. Makes me all light headed! Hopefully Victor like to ride bikes 1/10th as much as Ari does - though he'd have a hard time keeping up.

Congrats to local Santa Fe boy done good, Mike McCalla - 2nd place in mens open! Sick fast mofo.
Thanks Glen, it makes me warm and fuzzy to think she finally loves it so much. Being on a junior team really helps.

Just teach lil Vic without pressure and he is likely to grasp onto the love of cycling like you did!

Yes, Mike was riding strong!!!! He is pro-caliber with the big boys, but he is so non-egotistical about his riding/racing; it is rather refreshing.

Sports uniform Shorts Podium Jersey World

from KERKOVEJ's blog

·
ride like a girl
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks!

Thanks everyone for your compliments! It makes me feel good that she is of that age where she chooses to ride. My parents were visiting and my mum was trying to talk her out of doing it, but she stood up and said, yes, I am going to race :thumbsup: You go girl!! I hope she continues the excitement through the next few teenage years, and onward through college.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should have her come out to some of the Mountain States Cup races. There are a fair number of girls racing in the series so she won't be lonely out there. We could always use another girl. Check out racemsc.com - Sol Vista (in Granby) is the state championship and Eldora is very junior friendly.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
crd said:
Thanks Glen, it makes me warm and fuzzy to think she finally loves it so much. Being on a junior team really helps.

Just teach lil Vic without pressure and he is likely to grasp onto the love of cycling like you did!

Yes, Mike was riding strong!!!! He is pro-caliber with the big boys, but he is so non-egotistical about his riding/racing; it is rather refreshing.
Very cool - I bet she's a real asset to the team too with her great attitude, and a mom that's OK too! Victor has almost figured out how to pedal his fancy trike-thing. Cool that it goes forward and backward! Maybe he'll be into track bikes...:D. He's almost big enough for one of those push/walk bikes (2 wheels, a seat, no pedals / drivetrain). Combine the two skill sets - and voila! Ready to ride.

The fellas down here in the peanut gallery were curious about conditions. Was it muddy up high? Were mechanicals a factor? Any more tidbits for the dorks needing to know? ;)

·
ride like a girl
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
glenzx said:
The fellas down here in the peanut gallery were curious about conditions. Was it muddy up high? Were mechanicals a factor? Any more tidbits for the dorks needing to know? ;)
Can you say BEA-u-tiful? Amazing conditions, really. I'm hoping to explore more of the Colorado Trail soon. I think the high-high stuff is still somewhat snowy, but for the most part, the other trails are rideable. The race course (at least 14 miles of it) were in great condition, a bit tacky, not too dusty, and not too much mud. It is summer in the high country, you should visit! I'll be heading back to Keystone in a few weeks to do some more ridin'...

·
don't thread on me
429 Posts
Hey there CRD. Congrats on your daughter winning the race. Isn't it amazing how cool it feels when your kid does something awesome like that. It's like it is a vindication of all of the hard work you put in trying to raise a normal, well adjusted kid to function in in this otherwise screwed up world. When my kids perform well or win at something, I always thank God for the little treasure that he has handed to us!

She looks like a great kid, and you are obviously a great parent. Keep up the effort and involvement in her life. I have lost one child, and I can tell you from experience, nothing matters more than the love between a child and their parent. Cherish the time you have and never waste a moment.

Cheers, Great post! This is what Passion is supposed to be.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.