Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who think women cannot ride...or for women who think guys think "because your women, you cannot ride". My daughter and I went out riding at our secret little place, near base. I call it secret because last winter we did a lot of trail work, with the exception of the entry piont of the trail...so know one else would find it. We rode for about 1 mile, made a few creek crossings, kind of doing a easy cruise. We got to a fallen tree that is about 2 foot high (round)and at a wierd angle, one that my gf and I had been messing with until we could both make it over. So we stopped and decided to play with this tree until she could make it...which took her a few trys, then she made it pretty easily. This must have given her a nice boost of confidence, because she picked up the pace and started riding a little smoother. Then we get to a small drop, which I have yet to do...because you land in greasey mud and hit a rocky creek right after it. Maybe it is age or lack of kahonahs, who knows. Anyway...I take my line (around it)...next thing I know there she goes...hitting like she had been doing it for years. Then as I sped away, I could hear her say "come on Dad, do it!!!....Daaaaaaaaaaaad, you loser!!"
Girls can ride. My gf did the same drop...only she landed in the creek, twice.
We will go there next weekend and take some pictures...and I have to do this stupid drop.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I biggest wish for my daughter (now 6 months) is not that she is rich, or popular, or admired, but rather, that she can kick my arse on a bike, be it road or mountain!

Great story!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My kids can kick my butt on the downhill slopes but when it comes to mountain bike or road bike riding and cross country skiing they can't touch me. They're 23 and 26 and I'm 53. I know the day will come but I figure I've got another 20 years.

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am proud

It makes me grin when my kids excell...even if they punk me in the process. She also swims, doing freestyle I can still take her...but in all other strokes she's got me. We ride again on Saturday and I promised I am going to do that stupid drop. Sunday we are doing a ride with a group of Japanese riders (about 20 of them), it should be a good ride. I will snap off some pictures.

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
meloh1 said:
My kids can kick my butt on the downhill slopes but when it comes to mountain bike or road bike riding and cross country skiing they can't touch me. They're 23 and 26 and I'm 53. I know the day will come but I figure I've got another 20 years.
I'm 31 and my dad is 59, and he kicks my ass on skis. But it's not fair, he lives next to Mad River Glen. He skiied across Vermont the long way a couple years ago. Downhill or XC he's a monster. I can outsprint him XC, but his endurance is rediculous.

I kick his ass on a bike though. The guy lives for winter.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Awsome good to hear about getting out with the young ones.
Once i went around a 15ft drop to berm, my 15 year old flys off & around the berm stops at the bottom & says com on dad you can do that! You now your getting up there when the brain starts turning on.
Keep having fun & dont forget to post the pics.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Now that you mention swimming, that's another sport they bury me at. Both qualified and swam at the state meet in high school and my daughter was captain of the team. I can barely keep afloat. Soccer too. I never played but wanted my kids to play so I helped start a local club and became the first referee coordinator (15 years ago). Now I'm an experienced referee and there's few kids that beat me down the field. Ask me to do anything skillful with the ball and you'd get a real laugh out of it though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Kris said:
I biggest wish for my daughter (now 6 months) is not that she is rich, or popular, or admired, but rather, that she can kick my arse on a bike, be it road or mountain!

Great story!
Right on! My daughter is 6 weeks old and I can't wait to get her on a mountain bike! As far as woman being able to ride - I introduced my wife to MTBing a couple of years ago; bought her a decent aluminum Haro with a Judy on it (she's only 5'2" 115 lbs so the Judy holds up fine), and within a month she was kicking my butt on long climbs! Woman just have so much more power in their upper legs and hips.

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oddestfellow said:
Right on! My daughter is 6 weeks old and I can't wait to get her on a mountain bike! As far as woman being able to ride - I introduced my wife to MTBing a couple of years ago; bought her a decent aluminum Haro with a Judy on it (she's only 5'2" 115 lbs so the Judy holds up fine), and within a month she was kicking my butt on long climbs! Woman just have so much more power in their upper legs and hips.
My gf and daughter can climb pretty well, I can still get the on the tech climbs, but the smooth fast climbs they are faster.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Kids are funny. I have a 9yr old daughter who told me

one afternoon that she was faster then me becasue she could stand up and pedal. That was when she was six. Now she can ride pretty much anything. She is on a Kona Hula and loves to see other people on Konas. She thinks it makes her look like a real biker when she sees the big boys and girls on a bike like hers. She can bunny hop over a 6" round log no problem. The first time she did it was priceless. The smile the laugh all good stuff. She wants to ride more then me in the cold. I'm old she is young and impervious to the cold. So needless to say I strap on the cold weather gear and head out. Beware your kids will torcher you some day.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Sounds great! She must be a real trooper.

For sure, take pics. Give the camera to her and she can take a pic of you - after you land in the creek, all greased up in mud! :p :D

Congrats, btw!

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
imjps said:
I've been skiing with my kids since they were three. Nowadays, the worst three words I dread to hear are "Follow me dad".

jps
are they "big" kids now? I think that's how my husband ended up on an iced over waterfall inbounds at Fernie. Following our then-13 year old
:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm glad to see other poeple with kids posting. Sometimes reading the things people write on this site, not to mention their spelling and grammar, you'd think they were all in middle school.

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just buzzed through the womens lounge...and

Some one there took offense to this thread, thinking the purpose was to down women...that is not the case. I am proud of my daughter for showing me a line I was too affraid to take, that was all. I don't really want to get into a discussion about how women can do anything men can do, as it would be dumb and not a worthwhile discussion. I have never been a person who thinks guys are better than women, no matter what the subject. I think people tend to jump on the race or gender soap box way too quickly.

Back to the subject...Sarah (my kid) wouldnt get out of bed this morning to ride, but we are going out tomorrow. My GF and I did go though...and I am still kind of nervous about that damn drop. It's not so much the drop as it is the mud, then the rocky creek. I think I might crash tomorrow...lol.

Later

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
If someone took offense to your thread they obviously didnt read anything that you wrote or that others here have replyed to. If they did read they would have read only good from you & all the rest of us. I showed this to my wife & she had that smirk of ya well what did you expect!? I'll bet you could show this thread to 100 women & men & 99.9% would say this is wonderfull!
My oldest son & myself was turned on to MTB'ing by Marla Streb.

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dogonfr said:
If someone took offense to your thread they obviously didnt read anything that you wrote or that others here have replyed to. If they did read they would have read only good from you & all the rest of us. I showed this to my wife & she had that smirk of ya well what did you expect!? I'll bet you could show this thread to 100 women & men & 99.9% would say this is wonderfull!
My oldest son & myself was turned on to MTB'ing by Marla Streb.
Thanks Man,
I didnt mean anything bad...just proud of my kid. And that is true...Marla Steb smoked at Downieville, and she is very cool.
Your son is doing a 15 foot dop? Kind of makes you grin, but think "you little...." at the same time. My younger duaghter rides with me about once a year (not her thing, but goes once in a while for dad). Her and I went for a ride and brought another guy with us, I was grinning my ass off, as she could out climb him. I tried to use that to motivate her to ride more. It was about 8 months ago...so it didnt work. I tried.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.