Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always admired the Jones XTR chainset conversion. I've recently hardly used my outer ring for the last 5 months - So I thought I'd give it a go. Bought a manky chainset on fleabay - and here are my efforts, there was a lot more filing than I was expecting, it's not quite finished, a few areas need tidying, and some deep scratches to file out as the chainset was in bad condition.

Attachments

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Going to use it as a double or single? I toyed with doing the same some time for my doubles and expanding the mid ring holes 1 mm so I could use normal 4 bolt middle rings in larger sizes 34/36/38.

G

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G-Live.......it's going to be a double - I'm finding I still need the lowest 3 gears and I like to sit and spin. I've put it on my Spesh FSR to try it out. Ultimately it will go on a Jones - when I've got the dosh for it.

Attachments

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,214 Posts
Nice job - well done.

If you're riding that bike on anything other than groomed bike paths, you'll soon find that the chain is going to now jump off of that middle ring, and end up on that crank arm.

And no, the front der won't make it stay put.

If you want that setup to work..you'll probably have to resort to a 1 X 9. And, a beefier chain retention guide, like a Rohloff.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aquaholic said:
Nice job - well done.

If you're riding that bike on anything other than groomed bike paths, you'll soon find that the chain is going to now jump off of that middle ring, and end up on that crank arm.

And no, the front der won't make it stay put.

If you want that setup to work..you'll probably have to resort to a 1 X 9. And, a beefier chain retention guide, like a Rohloff.
Cheers Aqua -

Yep - I was wondering about that, it changes ring Ok - But I have not been off road with it yet - I could always get a chain devise........ but this chainset isn't intended for my FSR anyway - .

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out for my first ride today - chain stayed on just fine :D

I also tried out my new second hand H Bars - I like the hand position, but it seems I got the narrow 18" version, and they do feel a little narrow to me, I think the 19" wide bars would give them a better feel. I have, Shram/Avid brakes/shifters and they seem to fit and work just fine.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
FRC that's a nice looking work area you have there. Could we get some photos of that as well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.