Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just joined this forum as I look to get a new mountain bike. I've been doing 99% street riding since 1984, and now I want to get on some trails that my street bike can't take (and I want to be able to ride a little slower since my kids have bikes now and the Fuji is too fast to ride with them). A lot of my riding will be on hard surface, but sometimes I'll wander onto dirt or gravel trails. No serious downhill or anything like that.

So . . . I don't want to spend much. Maybe $350 or less.

I know about the Ibex Alpine 350. Seemingly a cult-like following in this forum, and it looks like a terrific value at $334 delivered.

Was about to order . . . but . . . I was at Dick's Sporting Goods today and saw an Iron Horse Warrior Comp for $299. Felt like a nice bike though the tires were awfully aggressive.

Any ideas on how the Warrior compares to the Alpine350?

Much obliged. Thanks.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Buy the Warrior Comp

I'm an avid Ibex proponent, but if the Warrior Comp is the same one that's advertised on the Randall Scott site (maniyou Axel Comp fork, Hayes Disc Brakes, Shimano Deore shifters/derailleur) then I say the IH is the better bike. As for the tires being aggressive, that's pretty much a good thing for trails. I would not make my decision based on tires that could be replaced for $30-$40. If you've test ridden the bike, and it fits and you like it, I say this is a great deal. If the bike does NOT have the components I listed above, then my recommendation is to give us a list of the components (The bike isn't listed on Dick's web site) so that we can give an informed recommendation.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob.

The IH bikes aren't listed a Dick's online for some reason (too bad because I can get 15% off online there).

The IH they have is called CompSE -- it's a promo specifically for them. So it doesn't have all of the components you listed. Fork is Rockshox 100mm. Shifters/derailleurs are Shimano ACERA. Hayes disk brakes. I didn't note the make for the crank/pedals.

The bike fits, but sadly the store is in a mall so I can't get a feel for how it rides other than on the 2nd floor of the store. They won't let me take it out of the store.

I appreciate the input since I'm completely new to MB components. What do you think of the components listed?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Similar to the Ibex

Looks like the components are along the same level as the Alpine 350. Again given the fact that it has disc brakes, and that you've been able to test ride it, I would go with the IH, as I think there is less risk involved in this purchase. Just my thoughts. Both are good, entry level offerings.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hardtails Are Better said:
Yeah, they'll let him do that. :rolleyes:

I'd say go for the IH. Like CMC said, you've ridden it, so you are confidant that you like it.
That's good common-sense advice. Thanks.

I'll tell you though . . . nothing gets my goat like bad service. Went to Dick's yesterday to see if I could check out a 19.5" alongside a 17.5" in the IH and buy the one I liked best. The saleman actually said, "I can't help you now because I'm so busy with customers." I went to another store that was just 5 miles away, and there was no one there capable of assisting me either.

I never understand when I'm trying to spend my money, and the stores just won't let me.

That Ibex is looking better, and I've never even seen it!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
I like that statement, get my goat, it always reminds me of the TinTin books.

Call Ibex they have really great customer service & they are on the other end of a phone. some guys on a phone figure you cant see them so they can get away with stuff, not at Ibex they are very helpfull. :)

1-888-741-1464

·
Registered
454 Posts
We have Dick's in our region and they are awful for their product knowledge and customer service. I bought 2 bikes from them years ago and I'll never go back there. You have to watch what they call a IH Warrior Comp too. They typically get these models with a slightly lesser brake or deraileur and you may not catch it. I've seen it many times when they sold the K2 brand. It was far from the spec I read online. I would check out your local (real) bike shops and see if they have any end of model year sales. Check for IH bikes online and compare all that to the Ibex. I always like riding what I'm going to buy but at your budget you may choose to roll the dice. I guess I might take that chance if it meant getting a much better spec'd bike for the dollar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I know. Actually, I had written it down wrong (the bike I wanted was next to the Warrior Comp. The bike I'm looking at is Warrior Team SE. The SE means that I can't get much info about it on the Iron Horse website because it's made specifically for Dick's Sporting Goods. There's a thread about this bike in the manufacturer forum.

It's got the Rockshox J1, Hayes disc breaks, Acera drivetrain all on the Warrior frame. For $299, it looks pretty good for some low-impact biking. I'm not suffering any delusions that I'm really getting a $600 bike for $300. I just want the best I can get for that $300. I've got one more LBS I'll check and then decide what to do.

Thanks again.

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,597 Posts
sfhubbard said:
I'll tell you though . . . nothing gets my goat like bad service. Went to Dick's yesterday to see if I could check out a 19.5" alongside a 17.5" in the IH and buy the one I liked best. The saleman actually said, "I can't help you now because I'm so busy with customers." I went to another store that was just 5 miles away, and there was no one there capable of assisting me either.

I never understand when I'm trying to spend my money, and the stores just won't let me.
Yeah, my Dick's Sporting goods is awful...there is never a employee in sight and if there is, there are cops and cameras surrounding him/her. :rolleyes:

Okay, just kidding but, yes, they really are bad when it comes to service and the things they carry are pretty pathetic too - if they even have anything. :eek:ut:

-Oh and it's great that you and your kids all bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bike is ordered!

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!

I just ordered my new bike. After researching and shopping around, I substantially upgraded the bikes I was looking at -- didn't like the Iron Horse bike at Dick's for whatever reason . . .maybe the store, maybe the color, may be the test-ride limited to the 2nd floor . . . who knows? So I raised the price range and was about to get a Gary Fisher Marlin, but the LBS just wasn't being very cooperative. They had none of my size (and nothing similar to test the fit) in stock and wouldn't bring one in to let me test ride. They wanted me to buy sight-unseen which made me ask what exactly I needed them for. I have lots of ways to buy bikes sight-unseen.

That being the case, I went with Ibex based on the reputation they have on this site. I just ordered the RSR-B27. Looks like excellent components for this price range, and that frame is slick. Most of all, it's a perfect bike for my needs . . . an ultimate hybrid -- good on asphalt and fully capable if I see a trail I want to ride. Maybe not the best climber since the gearing is higher than a typical MB, but honestly that's not going to come up very often. Mostly this is riding on the bike path and on the gravel shoulders in SW suburban Cleveland.

I have to thank my wife for the sensible "Get the one you want" advice (which probably wouldn't have worked if I was looking >$1000). She reminded me that the last bike I purchased was more than a base-model touring bike . . . and 22 years later, I still ride it. No question I'll get my money's worth out of this bike and will be glad I increased my price point. I can't wait for it to get here.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
sfhubbard said:
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!

That being the case, I went with Ibex based on the reputation they have on this site. I just ordered the RSR-B27. Looks like excellent components for this price range, and that frame is slick. Most of all, it's a perfect bike for my needs . . . an ultimate hybrid -- good on asphalt and fully capable if I see a trail I want to ride. Maybe not the best climber since the gearing is higher than a typical MB, but honestly that's not going to come up very often. Mostly this is riding on the bike path and on the gravel shoulders in SW suburban Cleveland.

I have to thank my wife for the sensible "Get the one you want" advice (which probably wouldn't have worked if I was looking >$1000). She reminded me that the last bike I purchased was more than a base-model touring bike . . . and 22 years later, I still ride it. No question I'll get my money's worth out of this bike and will be glad I increased my price point. I can't wait for it to get here.
Congratz on the new bike purchase, those bikes look soo kool, CmC has on that he has pimped out, pretty sweet looker. As for the gearing if you cant make it up a hill you can always walk, i push my 40lb bike up no loss of pride here.

Awsome wife, hang on to her, sounds like you have a best friend for life!:thumbsup:

Dont forget to post some pics, doing wheelies all over the neighborhood. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dogonfr said:
Dont forget to post some pics, doing wheelies all over the neighborhood. :D
No wheelies yet. I posted these in the Ibex forum, but I thought I'd throw them up here too for people looking for new bikes. Some photos of my new B--27 with a tribute photo of my old Fuji street bike for 22 years and many thousands of miles of faithful service.

This B-27 is a keeper!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.