Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My CCDB shock has shrunk ?

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  keen 
#1 ·
My CCDB is supposed to be a 7.5" eye to eye length. The shock measured 7 3/8" eye to eye and was in need of a rebuild so I sent it to Cane Creek for a rebuild. Well it is still the same length ? I mentioned , to the tech before the rebuild, that the eye to eye wasn't exactly 7.5" and he said they are never right on the money. Seems like 7 3/8" is a bit off - I have measured just about every shock I have owned and they were all within a mm or so. What do you think ?

#4 ·
Hmmm...interesting. Well, 3/8" may not be the end of the world, but frankly if the susupension is designed for a certain length shock, it ought to get a certain length shock...unless the owner/rider is trying to accomplish other goals with different shock lengths. And if a company builds a certain length shock for that application, the shock ought to be built to those specs IMO. We can hem-and-haw about how sag adjustment alone can eat this much shock travel up, but that's not the point.

I wonder if a topout element is at play here? But even then, it seems most manufacturers are able to design the proper extended length into the shock. I'd say bottomout elements are more a factor in compressed length than a topout element should be for extended length. The CCDB is a great shock, but this reminds me a bit of that funny commercial where they say, "sometimes good enough just isn't good enought".

#5 ·
TNC said:
Hmmm...interesting. Well, 3/8" may not be the end of the world.
keen's shock measures 7 3/8 instead of 7 1/2, so only 1/8 in diff as mullen112 pointed out.
Not a big deal. Plus how accurate can you measure i to i using a tape measure ( if that's what was used)! ;)

#6 ·
blcman said:
keen's shock measures 7 3/8 instead of 7 1/2, so only 1/8 in diff as mullen112 pointed out.
Not a big deal. Plus how accurate can you measure i to i using a tape measure ( if that's what was used)! ;)
Yes, I used the wrong value in my post, but I thought we were also talking about other issues involving the male anatomy, and I was applying the required "oversizing" that guys usually apply to those components.:D

#7 ·
blcman said:
A steel machinist ruler was used in the measuring process though any ruler or measuring tape would yeild the same results. I have owned over a dozen different air & coil shocks and all were within a mm as mentioned. I understand 1/8" isn't a huge difference but bikes are all about small increments especially when geometry is factored in. So if 7 3/8" is the actual length CC should market it as such. I have two shocks on my bench, a Fox DHX that measures 7.875 and a Manitou Swinger than measures 8" and both were advertised as such w/ 1/8" being the difference.

#8 ·
keen

if your shock is still getting the required full stroke length then
your HA and BB would be slacker and lower respectively and
therefore your bike should better then ever! IMO! :thumbsup:

#9 ·
blcman said:
keen

if your shock is still getting the required full stroke length then
your HA and BB would be slacker and lower respectively and
therefore your bike should better then ever! IMO! :thumbsup:
I am already pushing the slack / low envelope - OE shock was 7.875 and 26" front wheel. I am running a 29" front and the 7 3/8" shock

#12 ·
TNC said:
Knowing keen a bit over the years, I'd bet his measurement was darned close if not spot on. He can be a bit anal about being exact...not that I know anyone else like that...LOL!

keen, what you running there in that '69'er setup?
29 / 650ber. 13.6 bb height & 67* HA. Going to transfer all the parts to a 2010 Trek Remedy.

#13 ·
I have an aquaintance that has a Remedy, and he loves it. He's waaay more rider than I'll ever be and has put that bike through the mill out in Fruita, GJ, Moab, and elsewhere. He has a Facebook setup under Landon Monholland, but his blog, which name escapes me now, is outstanding. I don't remember the blog name because I'm already on his send-out list. He works at Over the Edge sports in GJ now and used to work at Moab Cyclery. He has a choice of numerous bikes and models, but loves his Remedy.

#15 ·
CharacterZero said:
So 4" suspension up front and 6.4" rear?
100mm in the front and 120mm in the rear . The shock's rear stroke has been reduced from 2" to 1.75 for 650b clearance . 6.4 would come from a 7.875 x 2.25" shock. I threw the 29er fork on to experiment and had not run 100mm since my first XC bike - feels great as a trail bike. The front tire is only a 2.1" Bontranger and I use to run 2.35" Nevegal.

#16 ·
A 69'er or 69/650'er can make a fun bike. This is keen's post and he started the big wheel aspect here, so I'll post this. We built up a used shop Maverick ML8 with a DUC32 fork reduced to 120mm...yes, it cleared with 120mm...and a 29'er front wheel. We retained a 26" rear. This bike rocked on most trails. It cornered as if on rails, climbed super efficiently, and rolled over stuff amazingly. I would have bought this bike, but it still wasn't quite up to the performance of my Nomad with a 160mm fork and 650B front wheel. Still it was hoot to ride and wasn't weird like I thought it would be. I think as bicyclists that we sometimes aren't willing to think outside the box.

keen, are you going to do any wheel modding with the Remedy?

Attachments

#17 ·
TNC said:
A 69'er or 69/650'er can make a fun bike. This is keen's post and he started the big wheel aspect here, so I'll post this. We built up a used shop Maverick ML8 with a DUC32 fork reduced to 120mm...yes, it cleared with 120mm...and a 29'er front wheel. We retained a 26" rear. This bike rocked on most trails. It cornered as if on rails, climbed super efficiently, and rolled over stuff amazingly. I would have bought this bike, but it still wasn't quite up to the performance of my Nomad with a 160mm fork and 650B front wheel. Still it was hoot to ride and wasn't weird like I thought it would be. I think as bicyclists that we sometimes aren't willing to think outside the box.

keen, are you going to do any wheel modding with the Remedy?
All the components from the RFX will go to the Remedy. Geometry should be really close. I am hoping the ABP Floater on the Remedy will be a plus over the TNT rear. I also have the choice of an angleset on the E2 headtube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.