Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the bike for three months. Zero problems until now. My first hanger was destroyed when I up-shifted and the chain went over the top of the cassette. I cannot say if I bent it earlier and it was just waiting to happen. I was bummed but I understand it did its job.
So I get it replaced and it lasts one and a half rides. Same problem. Chain goes over the top and the bike instantly gobbles up a second chain/derailleur/hangar combination.:madman:
Now I am not pleased. The spokes on a new set of Mavic STs are scraped and bent, wheel is out of true and I get to coast the rest of the ride.
I am working with the shop right now to determine the true cause. It was not dropped or leaned on its side. The limit screws seemed to be properly set but a chain over the top says maybe not. I am looking to see if others out there have experienced similar problems. I am really hoping it is just limit screws but if not, I would like to figure it out so this does not become a common occurrence.
Just curious if anybody has seen this on the Carbon set-up with XT long cage derailleur and Mavic STs.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
When you have the bike on the stand you have to get the derailleur all the way up at the top and press on the derailleur to see if it can physically shift into the spokes. You don't push so hard that it mangles anything, but press pretty good right on the parallel links. You should be able to tell if it will or won't be able to do that. Also you have to be rotating the cranks while you do this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here, but have you checked to see if the cassette is loose? I only ask this because I put on a set of 09 Crossmax STs for this season, and while they are great wheels they have this issue with the hub where the cassette develops a bunch of play. Maybe it was enough to affect the upshift and throw the chain?

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
The hangers on the carbon bikes blow. I went through 5 of them in 3 months. Better than replacing a whole triangle or a rear mech though...
Pick up a Park Dag 1 tool.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds like your derailleur was bent or out of adjustment both times rather than a frame issue. Did you check it after you replaced the first hanger, or did you replace the whole thing? If it was new, gticlay has the right idea - set it up so that you simply can't shift into the spokes. Also, get in the habit of checking your derailleur often, even if you don't think you've smacked it.

Also, not sure what happened to you but try to teach yourself to stop pedalling when you hear or feel something bad happening back there. Lots of people try to "pedal through" drivetrain issues and it often just makes it worse. If you recognize it quickly enough you should be able to get your chain back on and keep riding after an overshift.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm on my third, they are very weak and they seem to break at the lower screw hole which leaves you with precious little material under your quick release if you try to single speed it home. Not happy with the strength or design, definitely the achilles heel of a near perfect bike

·
Registered
12 Posts
I broke a hanger a couple of weeks ago.. snapped clean off at the lower bolt. Rear mech wrapped itself round my back wheel and made a lovely mess of the drivetrain and wheel, not to mention chipping the clearcoat on the frame...Grrrrr. No idea why this happened. Gears had been fine prior to the incident. Was an XT Shadow rear mech.. I can only think something knocked the lower part of the mech into the spokes which then pulled the whole mech round the wheel.

Paul

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I have 2 of the Heckler/Nomad/LT2 hangers. I'd love to trade someone for a NomadC hanger.... I didn't realize they were different until I threw on my derailleur this morning :mad:

·
Registered
195 Posts
pscolling said:
I broke a hanger a couple of weeks ago.. snapped clean off at the lower bolt. Rear mech wrapped itself round my back wheel and made a lovely mess of the drivetrain and wheel, not to mention chipping the clearcoat on the frame...Grrrrr. No idea why this happened. Gears had been fine prior to the incident. Was an XT Shadow rear mech.. I can only think something knocked the lower part of the mech into the spokes which then pulled the whole mech round the wheel.

Paul
One of mine was exactly the same with the scratch on the seat stay as well. I clipped a rock climbing. I always carry a spare now, cheap insurance. The good news is that the frame is tough though I still wish the hanger were a bit stronger.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Purchased 2 spare BLTc hangers 6 months ago when an innocent stack saw me turn back and not be able to complete the ride.........

Anyway, yesterday I installed a new Shimano 1x10 XT drivetrain onto the BLTc and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to shift correctly (actually was the same on my 1x9 it replaced, I just thought it was the cables needed replacing?)

So in desparation I got out one of those new hangers and gave that a try, presto I had all 10 gears working in unison, up and down the range!

The old hanger didn't look bent compared to the new one, maybe I droped the bike sometime or the hanger had been bent by drivetrain strain.....a mate of mine has similar trouble with a Kona's hanger, but there was a difference........

That difference is the new hangers has thicker cross section so hopefully this might stop the premeture hanger bender/flexie issue

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
chronohunter said:
I still wish the hanger were a bit stronger.
+1
I have broken 2 and bent one in the last year and a half. I have never gone through more than one hanger on any other bike I have owned. Maybe it is just bad luck, but I can't help but think that SC made the hangers a little too weak. Anyone distribute BETD on this side of the pond??

·
Registered
195 Posts
AL29er said:
+1
I have broken 2 and bent one in the last year and a half. I have never gone through more than one hanger on any other bike I have owned. Maybe it is just bad luck, but I can't help but think that SC made the hangers a little too weak. Anyone distribute BETD on this side of the pond??
Yea I'd be up for an aftermarket solution as well...

·
Registered
493 Posts
You guys arent kidding...took my new Nomad add with a friend who just picked up a Blur LTc and his der hanger totally ripped mid-ride...bit of a bummer....luckily it was all downhill from there...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've eaten more than on any other bike I've owned as well. I can only assume it's very intentional due to concerns or unknowns with the new frame material. Maybe they'll just start strengthening them now that they have some failure history to analyse -- they know how many they've sold compared to frame numbers.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I have slightly bent a hanger 2mo. into owning the frame. It wasn't out of the blue since I scraped the R/D hard against a rock putting a nice gouge in it. I bent it back in place and have been riding it since. I did go to the SC website and bought 2 replacements when I decide to swap it out or if it bends again.

The deraillers appear to be forged, where previous versions appear to be milled (comparing my Blur Classic to my XCc). I am not sure if they have a milled or billit version available yet, or if there is plans to make one, or if there is an aftermarket version available but it is definitely something to look into. I do know that forged aluminum is not nearly as strong as milled or billit, but it is significantly cheaper.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HEY SANTA CRUZ!!!!

Care to comment? Is this going to be addressed or are we S.O.L???

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I think the problem must be with bike setup. I rode a Heckler with that hanger for a year and a Nomad2 with the same thing for a year, only breaking the one on my Nomad when my hub cracked and siezed up.

·
Fence guru
740 Posts
:madmax:

thank god they are only $8 I also probaly overbent it trying to straigten it - damn these guns of mine:p
oh well orderded 4 of them
the new nomadc useds he same hanger I think :skep
I guess it is better than a new rear tri

augustiner said:
You guys arent kidding...took my new Nomad add with a friend who just picked up a Blur LTc and his der hanger totally ripped mid-ride...bit of a bummer....luckily it was all downhill from there...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts