Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread a while ago, in regards to whether or not, it would be worth it to order from Jenson USA into Canada. I would say it is worth it. For several reasons.

I decided to order a crankset and chain. I researched the online shops, Canada wide, and the lbs shops in my hometown, to see if I could find comparable prices. Not even close. With that said, some might say, after the exchange, GST, shipping, and duty/brokerage fees, that it ends up costing just as much to buy from the states, as in Canada. Not my experience with Jenson.

I did the math, and after paying all the fees, I saved over $150.00 compared to lbs and $140.00, compared to our discount online shops. Not bad and the parts were delivered in two days. Even if our dollar was in the crapper, I would have still saved money. If I ordered from a Canadian e-tailer, the wait time is around 5-7days. At least. If you need parts fast, Jenson is a good alternative.

I am not sure about over-sized packages though. The cost will obviously go up. Keep in mind that there is a $26.00 shipping fee when ordering through Jenson, so it is not worth it to order a bolt or two. Make it a bigger order and you should come out ahead.

To those interested, I just self-cleared a mtb frame from the states and got around paying duty and brokerage fees. If the frame/bike is made in the states, you do not pay duty. Call your local customs office for steps on self-clearing. It is a viable alternative to USPS, for made in the USA frames and much faster. Just remember, you have to use a carrier other than UPS. UPS does not allow self-clearing and you will probably get soaked.

This is what I did for self clearing a frame and a few parts.

- Find/call your nearest customs house. There is a general 1-800#
- You will need a NAFTA Certificate of origin from customs. They can fax it to you.
- Send the certificate to the exporter/bike shop. They must fill it out stating that the frame was made in the states.
- The exporter must state on the shipping documents, that you intend to SELF CLEAR the item. Very important.
- The exporter must ship the item with a carrier other than UPS. Try FED EX, DHL, etc.
- When the item arrives, you will be notified by phone or mail with instructions to pick up self clearing documents at the carrier address.
- I had to take the documents to the customs house, and pay GST on the item and then take the documents back to the carrier, to finally pick up the goods.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Thanks for that, Ronny!

Q - so if I were to purchase something like an Avid Juicy 7 brake that isn't made in the USA then would I still need to worry about the NAFTA paperwork stuff?

Also, shipped in 2 DAYS?!?!??!?! Was that with the included $26 shipping fee, or was that an optional service for an additional fee? That's just waaaay too good to believe. Who did you use?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AndrewTO said:
Thanks for that, Ronny!

Q - so if I were to purchase something like an Avid Juicy 7 brake that isn't made in the USA then would I still need to worry about the NAFTA paperwork stuff?

Also, shipped in 2 DAYS?!?!??!?! Was that with the included $26 shipping fee, or was that an optional service for an additional fee? That's just waaaay too good to believe. Who did you use?
Don't worry about the Nafta paper work for bike parts. The NAFTA example was for importing an American made frame into Canada, not bike parts.

Yes, Jenson shipped my parts, to my door, in two business days. If you order something on a friday, it will not get to you until monday or tuesday.

All orders from Jenson into Canada have the $26.00 fee. You have to pay this shipping fee. Thats why I stated that it is not worth it to order something small, like bolts. Make it worth your while. The brokerage/custom fee is included in the final bill.

Jenson uses Fed Ex for shipping parts into Canada. I don't think you get a choice in the matter.

Keep in mind, this is MY experience. Results could vary. This was the first time that I ever ordered anything from a retailer in the States. If you are not in a hurry, try Mtn High Cyclery. Larry will use USPS and offers competitive prices.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,555 Posts
Another reason to use Jenson

Jenson uses FedEx International Priority service for Canada. This service includes brokerage, but not any taxes or ROD fee. I've found a nice little loop hole with this service... FedEx has never charged me PST on any of my Jenson shipments. This can be a significant savings vs. having stuff shipped in via USPS which will invariably get tagged by Canada Post for GST *AND* PST.

Karl

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
HUGE Thanks

Thanks for the info ronny !! :) I am planning on ordering a bunch of new bike parts,for a new build I want to do this fall/winter,and this info will help immensely ! :thumbsup:

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
I think PST is only goods sold in the province of ontario, whereas GST is any goods entering the canadian boarder.

Fedex International Priority includes brokerage fees. Speedgoat will ship USPS, but won't honor their price match for non USA customers. I tried. So I went with Jenson.

Let put it this way:

My LBS wanted:
330+tax on the AVID Speed Dial Ultimate levers
79.99+tax on the AVID Full Metal Jacket Brake Lines
Est total: 471 incl 15% tax

From Jenson I got:
AVID SD Ultimate for 165 USD
AVID FMJ Brake lines for 24 USD
Shimano CN7701 XTR chain for 22 USD
Shimano chain pins, 10 peices for 10 USD
XT Shifters for 65 USD
Total = 285 + 26 shipping
= 311 USD (348 CDN assuming 1.12 exchange rate)
Fedex truck showed up and asked for 30.41 CDN for taxes and duty.

total CDN paid for goods was $378 CDN

I totally believe in supporting the local bike store for service and such. But for parts it's ridcoulous. THe key from ordering from USA is to order lots. Like 300+ worth before ordering, else the shipping will hurt you.

I love Jenson, they now have my credit card and an account setup for me. I have to restrain from ordering more goodies. Oh and it came in 2 days, LBS wanted 1 week for parts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Cheers! said:
Total = 285 + 26 shipping
= 311 USD (348 CDN assuming 1.12 exchange rate)
Fedex truck showed up and asked for 30.41 CDN for taxes and duty.
Just a question about the $30.41. Was this fee indicated in any way on the bill so that you would know about it at the time of ordering?

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
rkj__ said:
Just a question about the $30.41. Was this fee in any way indicated on the bill so that you would know about it at the time of ordering?
No... Fedex actually called me saying they were sorry that the package was several hours late. As it arrived from the distribtion warehouse late from their brokerage clearing house.

They told me I owed them 30.41 for GST and for duty. Which I could pay cash or cheque when the driver shows up.

I'm not new to having fedex show up and me needing to pay. I'm pretty heavily into modifying cars and buying car parts from the internet in the USA. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE UPS TO SHIP. UPS charges a flat rate of 65 CDN for brokerage services for packages valued between 0 to 200 dollars.

FEDEX ground will charge you 7% of the value of goods to clear your package.
FEDEX Intl priority has the fee built in.
DHL is 8% I think (I haven't used them recently).

As for the 30.41. I did not know that at the time of ordering. You can calculate it however, duty is 7%, GST is 5% now.

So if you ordered 100 USD worth of gear from Jenson.
100 x exchange rate (goto xe.com, 1 USD = 1.11196 CDN <--- wow that is amazing!)

so

100 is now 111.11

111.11(0.07+0.05) or 111.11*0.12

the fedex driver will most likely ask you to pay $13.32 CDN at the door with cash or cheque. No money, no box and you gotta go pick it up at the fedex distribution cetnre with the right amount of money.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
I spoke with a bike store manager once over a beer or two at a bar. He told me there isn't much money in selling complete bikes. The real money maker is the accessories such as helmets, computer, bike parts. There is close to 200% markup on LG helmets/shorts, and about the same for shimano parts. That and in Ontario, no one is really allowed to publish $$$ for parts online, unlike USA. Hence you get Jenson and Speedgoat trying to kill each other. You goto a LBS, every says MSRP, unless you kinda know them and have done buiness with then, but then they knock like 10 bucks off... bah...

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Cheers! said:
No money, no box and you gotta go pick it up at the fedex distribution cetnre with the right amount of money.
Thanks for the info. That is a little different than my dealings with USPS. They just left my package on my portch, and i did not pay any fees that were not on the bill. Took about a week.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
kwarwick said:
Jenson uses FedEx International Priority service for Canada. This service includes brokerage, but not any taxes or ROD fee. I've found a nice little loop hole with this service... FedEx has never charged me PST on any of my Jenson shipments. This can be a significant savings vs. having stuff shipped in via USPS which will invariably get tagged by Canada Post for GST *AND* PST.

Karl
BC doesn't charge PST on bikes and bike parts (alternative transportation ya know), there may be some other provinces that have that exception. FedEx has been pretty good about getting the PST exemption right, I've only had one shipment that they messed up the PST.

Try to get UPS to understand that. Even when you tell them that the dimmest LBS employee knows enough not to charge PST on bike parts they just say "our book doesn't say anything about that, we'll send you a form to claim it back." I think they do clearance in Moncton, NB. I have this unrealistic expectation that if I'm going to be gouged $34 for brokerage by UPS, they have to be good at what they do and get it right. That's apparently not in their book either.

Their last screwup was on a Race Face bashguard that they classified as a bike helmet 'cause they didn't know what it was. When I asked them why they didn't phone for clarification (there are no stupid questions just stupid mistakes) they said "well that would have slowed down the process." Unlike the slow-down provided by filling in the paperwork to claim the PST back.

I just bought a pair of Easton AM Havoc wheels from Jenson, the 20mm axle adapters were missing and they had another pair from Easton and up to me by FedEx within 5 days (with a weekend in the middle). Other than the "restricted distribution products" that they can't ship out of the country (how hard would it be to tell you that before you put it in the cart), they've been a good supplier.

·
1,555 Posts
Warning - Jenson now using UPS for Canada!

I just got off the phone with Jenson and had to cancel an order in progress because they decided to change from using FedEx to UPS for shipping to Canada. For anyone who hasn't had the joy of clearing a shipment from the US using UPS's brokerage services, they are notorious for charging excessive fees. Jenson couldn't tell me the arrangements they'd made with UPS and asked if I wanted to try it and see... ummm... I don't think so.

Too bad, I've ordered over $2000 in product from them in the past few years, but this is the end of the relationship it seems.

Karl

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
WTF? I just checked as well since I have some items in the shopping cart that I've been eyeing since my last order. I did a quite Shipping calc for shipping to Canada. and it does say UPS International Express. I'm not sure if UPS International Express covers brokerage fees or not. But in my experience as a car enthusist ordering parts from USA internet sites who ship UPS you get dinged bad on the UPS brokerage fees. Even if internal express does include brokerage fees, I got raped by those bastards more times than I can think, and thus I will not use them. Even if I save 10 bucks a shipment going via UPS. It's just like me boycotting the local bike store because they were pricks. UPS are prickss.

Regardless... I REFUSE TO USE UPS.

It's USPS/Fedex or I go somewhere else. I hope Jenson USA sees this thread. Because if Jenson decides to use UPS, they just lost a second customer and it's Speedgoat for me.
I had just ordered something from jenson less than a week ago and it came via fedex. I'm surprised they changed all of the sudden.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dumb.

kwarwick said:
I just got off the phone with Jenson and had to cancel an order in progress because they decided to change from using FedEx to UPS for shipping to Canada. For anyone who hasn't had a the joy of clearing a shipment from the US using UPS's brokerage services they are notorious for charging excessive fees. Jenson couldn't tell me the arrangements they'd made with UPS and asked if I wanted to try it and see... ummm... I don't think so.

Too bad, I've ordered over $2000 in product from them in the past few years, but this is the end of the relationship it seems.

Karl
Jenson will lose the bulk of their Canadian customers. Without question. UPS is brutal. It definately seems that majority of American distributors like to use UPS.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
kwarwick said:
I just got off the phone with Jenson and had to cancel an order in progress because they decided to change from using FedEx to UPS for shipping to Canada. For anyone who hasn't had a the joy of clearing a shipment from the US using UPS's brokerage services they are notorious for charging excessive fees. Jenson couldn't tell me the arrangements they'd made with UPS and asked if I wanted to try it and see... ummm... I don't think so.

Karl
You know, I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine that order's car parts from the U.S. We were discussing a growing trend we're noticing, which to me is very disturbing as a Canuckian;

1) more on-line stores are switching to UPS for shipping, regardless of destination,

2) more E-Bay sellers are less willing to ship to Canada.

There are cross-correlations for those two, also - stores are becoming less willing to ship to Canada and sellers less willing to use anything other than UPS. Now, before I even place a bid on anything I ask the seller if Canada/USPS is acceptable. Many places won't even ship to an AFO/PFO box, so that option is out of the question.

I swear it's gotta be a conspiracy for the LBS' up here. :rolleyes:

Oh, as i'm typing Cheers! just posted - dude, they don't care if you're the second lost or the 200th lost - we're a pitiful minority up here compared to the rest of their customer base. Sad, but true. I'd like (?) to say they lost a third with me, but I haven't bought anything from them ..... well, I guess I won't in the future now.

·
1,555 Posts
Cheers! said:
I hope Jenson USA sees this thread.
Yeah, I'd kinda hope they do too since they are the sponsors for this "Where are the Best Deals" forum that we are enjoying the use of right now.

I just got an email from Jenson assuring me that the UPS service they are using does include brokerage. So the question is, will UPS find some other way to gouge on clearing the shipment or should I give them a chance?

Karl

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
kwarwick said:
So the question is, will UPS find some other way to gouge on clearing the shipment or should I give them a chance?

Karl
(sniff sniff) Smell that? It smells like ..... pine wood chips. :eekster:

There must be a gineau pig around here somewhere! :p :D

There might be one tiny possibility - they struck the deal and had us in mind.:skep:

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
kwarwick said:

Karl
That IS horrible news,I just had UPS ding me last month for over 300 cdn in brokerage fee's on a bike,that was US made.I hate UPS and will never ever use them again,they are outright liars and thieves,and will not allow you to self clear an item through customs,like fedex,and DHL will. :madmax: Jenson just lost at least 700 usd in orders from me over the next two months because of this change !!! :mad:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.