Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
President of the Internet
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this rainy Saturday I was going through my Camelbak and in light of the recent post about what people carry when riding I thought I'd share the contents of my Camelbak. It seems like the older I get, the more I carry. photo (9).jpg

The recent thread inspired me to get a space blanket. I also want to get a bigger leatherman. Aside from nutrition, here's what I carry:

1. Pump
2. Pared down first aid kit
3. Toilet paper (yes, I've used it on the trail more than once)
4. tube
5. space blanket
6. Crank Bros Bike tool
7. Spoke wrench
7. Lighter
8. KMC missing link
9. extra derailleur hanger
10. Iodine tabs (saved my ass once)
11. Sports Legs
12. pill bottle w/ ibuprofen, hydrocodone & Imodium
13. Hammer Endurolite pills
14. Tube patch kit w/ a pencil and strike anywhere matches
15. Duct tape wrapped around a pencil
16. Zip ties
17. small LED light w/ clip
18. tire levers
19. chapstick
20. Leatherman squirt

Not pictured: On long rides I'll bring a water filter and battery pack for my iPhone (which has a GPS & maps).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
On this rainy Saturday I was going through my Camelbak and in light of the recent post about what people carry when riding I thought I'd share the contents of my Camelbak. It seems like the older I get, the more I carry. View attachment 880953

The recent thread inspired me to get a space blanket. I also want to get a bigger leatherman. Aside from nutrition, here's what I carry:

1. Pump
2. Pared down first aid kit
3. Toilet paper (yes, I've used it on the trail more than once)
4. tube
5. space blanket
6. Crank Bros Bike tool
7. Spoke wrench
7. Lighter
8. KMC missing link
9. extra derailleur hanger
10. Iodine tabs (saved my ass once)
11. Sports Legs
12. pill bottle w/ ibuprofen, hydrocodone & Imodium
13. Hammer Endurolite pills
14. Tube patch kit w/ a pencil and strike anywhere matches
15. Duct tape wrapped around a pencil
16. Zip ties
17. small LED light w/ clip
18. tire levers
19. chapstick
20. Leatherman squirt

Not pictured: On long rides I'll bring a water filter and battery pack for my iPhone (which has a GPS & maps).
How did the iodine tablets save you? Why a pencil?

·
President of the Internet
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did the iodine tablets save you? Why a pencil?
Good questions.
Literally a week after I put Iodine tabs in my pack (10 years ago) I went on an epic, exploratiative (sp? new word?) ride ride in Southern Oregon where I lived at the time. Temps topped out near 100 degrees and the trails were steep. My partner and I both ran out of water. We happened upon a small creek filled with Salamanders and filled up my bladder with creek water and purified it with the iodine so we could make it back to the TH.

RE: the duct tape - you have to wrap it around something and the pencil serves double duty as a writing utensil ; )

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your Crank Brothers tool has multiple spoke wrenches. Just unscrew the chain break all the way. Leaving the other spoke wrench at home will save 2 grams for sure.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
The right word is exloratitous.

And

If you use newspaper instead of TP you can include a crossword puzzle to do with your pencil whilst you dump.

Okay, so It is Saturday night and I am tasting Zinfandels from Lodi. Cheers.

;)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Problem with TP in your pack is that it tends to break down over time. So if you haven't checked/used it in a year or two, do so. Chances are it will disintegrate upon contact with your nethers and you'll be looking for leaves at the last minute (leaves actually work quite well - just don't use the 3-lobed ones). I carry a few of the travel Kleenex in the package which tends to protect the paper pretty well and more importantly a few of the individual wet wipe packs. Wet wipes rule (yes I'm a parent of young kids so I am biased).

·
roadie
744 Posts

And

If you use newspaper instead of TP you can include a crossword puzzle to do with your pencil whilst you dump.

;)

dang, you were drunk last night...

why would anyone carry toilet paper when they're already carrying a bidet?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
553 Posts
don't know how people can ride with those packs but i suppose it's better to be preparred if it doesn't bother you

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Different bags ride differently. I like my current DaKine bag that actually connects on the shoulders and waist with an open mesh most of the back. Super comfy and not too noticeable.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,767 Posts

And

;)
Wine from Lodi? Weird.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,767 Posts
Many really good Zins and Red Blends form Lodi
That was a joke, albeit weak. I live right across the street from Lodi. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts