Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm 5'-6" and my current weight as of this morning is 148. I exercise almost every day and that usually consist of cardio workouts for about an hour 5 days a week, abs 6 days a week, and back/general upper body about 3-4 days a week..at least until better weather sets in to where I can ride more. I also work in an office so my day is mostly spent at a desk:rolleyes:

I've been eating pretty healthy for awhile but lately I've taken more care to remove more bad stuff like HFCS, diet soda's, creamer in coffee...etc.

I've started reading labels at the grocery and eat 100% wheat bread, lots of grilled or baked chicken, veggies, fruit for snacks...basically just more natural and wholesome food
BUT
I'm concerned that I'm not taking in enough calories now. I tried counting up the amount of calories I have taken in the last couple of days and it looks low to me like around 1500 to 1700.

I don't feel bad or tired and I seldom feel really hungry since I eat something about every 2 hours, typically 1 piece of fruit. I eat much smaller portions than I used to during lunch and dinner and drink plenty of water.

Should I be upping my intake? I do want my body to start eating muscle to survive. I feel alert and always have energy when working out and riding.

I'd think that I'd be really tired and lethargic if I wasn't taking in enough but one can never be too careful...Any tips?

**Edit - I posted here because I will be doing some solo 6-12 hour events and don't want to kill myself before the races:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its sound like you are pretty close to the calories you need to survive day to day from what I read. As long as your not gaing or loosing weight your on the right track.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better:)

I was concerned because of the recent post about the guy who was only taking in about 1200 calories a day and all the explosion of post saying that wasn't enough. I'm not taking in all that many more calories than that guy was so I was a little worried.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Try using a calorie counter program like Diet Power. Remember to add the calories that you burn to the daily allowance. So if allowed 1700-calories a day - with no exercise - and you burn 1500, your daily allowance is now 3200.

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
Trying NOT to lose weight

Timo said:
So if allowed 1700-calories a day - with no exercise - and you burn 1500, your daily allowance is now 3200.
Does this mean that you just eat DOUBLE the calories that you normally would on non workout days? What about if you need 4000-4500 calories? Can you really manage to eat TRIPLE the calories?
I can't seem to stomach that, literally. I'm having a problem maintaining my weight because I've added hours on to my training schedule, and I can't keep up with the calorie intake. I've already lost my winter weight and then some, and I just can't spare any more. But it's SO hard to eat any more than I already do without feeling sick. On "gorge" days if I stuff myself I can manage ~3000 calories, but what do I do if I need more?

It concerns me because I want to do 24 hr races this year and I NEED those extra calories and weight, a in order to be strong enough.
Is anyone else having this issue? What do you do?

(I've already added high calorie between meal snacks, like nuts, nutritional bars, and so on)

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
There are probably a couple of things you can do (if you aren't doing them already).

- If you're doing a hard week with lots of longer rides, make every day a gorge day. The fuel you use now has been stored 24-48 hours previously (or so I've read....)

- Try to spread your intake over the day. Some days I just do a double lunch, since I'm at uni or work in the morning, and do a 3-4 hour ride well before dinnertime. I also use a lot of maltodextrin on rides. It's basically the same carbohydrate found in many pre-packaged drinks, but I buy a 10 lb. bag at wholesale. My stomach is much more tolerant of it than regular fuels, plus it's fluid instead of solid.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
a few more of my thoughts: i did a fully loaded, self supported cross country (road) tour a few years ago. I went from my normal 190lbs to about 165. I'm 6'4, so i was really skinny. I hit that weight about a month into the trip (it took 10 weeks), then held it the rest of the way. Your body will get more effiecient. On that trip I also ate about 5 meals per day. Huge breakfast, ride a few hours, eat 3-4 bagels with peanut butter, plus some bananas or apples, ride a few mroe hours, more bagels, more fruit, energy bars, gas station snacks, ride more, stop, make a huge batch of pasta, eat that, get ready for bed, before bed have a snack of fruit or something.

last suggestion and it probably isn't a good one: if you are still having problems, drink a few beers after your ride, it's extra calories, and the alcohol will slow your metabolism a little. This will also slow your recovery slightly, but you could experiement with it to see how you feel.

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
This gives me hope

markf said:
a few more of my thoughts: i did a fully loaded, self supported cross country (road) tour a few years ago. I went from my normal 190lbs to about 165. I'm 6'4, so i was really skinny. I hit that weight about a month into the trip (it took 10 weeks), then held it the rest of the way. Your body will get more effiecient. On that trip I also ate about 5 meals per day. Huge breakfast, ride a few hours, eat 3-4 bagels with peanut butter, plus some bananas or apples, ride a few mroe hours, more bagels, more fruit, energy bars, gas station snacks, ride more, stop, make a huge batch of pasta, eat that, get ready for bed, before bed have a snack of fruit or something.

last suggestion and it probably isn't a good one: if you are still having problems, drink a few beers after your ride, it's extra calories, and the alcohol will slow your metabolism a little. This will also slow your recovery slightly, but you could experiement with it to see how you feel.
That's a huge amount of weight to lose in ten weeks, and yeah, 6'4" 165 lbs IS really skinny,yet it sounds like you didn't lose strength. It gives me a lot of hope to know that. I'm doing most of what you said, except for the bagels and guacamole; yummy good suggestions, which I will happily incorporate.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Shut up and ride
1,159 Posts
if you are not trying to lose weight, I would definitely up the calories. You can burn 750-1000 calories in that one hour of cardio, doesnt leave much if you only had 1500 fro the day. Plus once its warm out and you do more rides, and longer rides, nad races your weight will drop even more. Besides exercice, the body needs rest & fuel !

what about adding a daily protein shake? milk, banana, whey powder, gob of real peanut butter (and maybe some frozen fruit)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Listen to your body

Dave Moore said:
I'm concerned that I'm not taking in enough calories now. I tried counting up the amount of calories I have taken in the last couple of days and it looks low to me like around 1500 to 1700.

Should I be upping my intake? I don't want my body to start eating muscle to survive.

**Edit - I posted here because I will be doing some solo 6-12 hour events and don't want to kill myself before the races:D
Food is an important issue; especially for riding the Big Races solo. You've definitely gotten some good advice so far. As Douglas pointed out, your current calorie intake probably won't cut it when the rides get longer and more intense. Your appetite will probably increase a ton soon, as you add those looooong rides to your routine. If it doesn't, your body will tell you it's hungry via another route: lethargy, heavy legs, etc.

When I train for endurance races, I find myself pretty depleted once I get to a certain low body weight which happens pretty early in the season for me - my metabolism goes a little hyperactive with training. My metabolism goes even more hyper in the actual race... I don't know why... Maybe increased "good-stress"? :D

Out of necessity, I invented a special feedbag that I could eat from while I was training and racing and it helped a lot. Now lotsa folks are using it. Since it's so easy to eat from, you can eat more frequently and stay strong for the long races. And it's easier to recover properly if you don't "eat too much muscle" (as you mentioned above) by not fueling enough during long rides. Click on my link below to see it, if you like.

Good luck with your races!
-Wreckless

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.