Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I like Cake.
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit worried about some of the gouging in the frame, especially the large gouge caused by cable rub on the seat post tube. Here are some pics.

This gouge from cable rub is about 1/8 of an inch deep, and goes into the metal, not just through paint.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Cake Durability

I have a Cake 1_DLX and while I love the bike (it handles very well, eats bumps and
makes me smile when I ride it), it's build quality/durability hasn't impressed me at all.
It was weirdly assembled, the Platinium series tubing is light and stiff but fragile, it's top
tube was very easily bumped, cable routing could be better (I got almost the same
gouge on the seatpost tube), seatpost binder had to be fixed homemade-style,
the "oups-we-forgot-to-loctite-the-swingarm-pivot-bearings" shouldn't have happened
and a few other issues are having me doubt I'll keep the bike more than one season.

Non-Fisher issues are annoying too, my Minute fork leaks, XT brakes always rub,
the Titec Ithys saddle is the worst my butt has ever sat on, rear derailleur has to be
re-adjusted every ride or so...

Yeah I know, many of those problems are solvable, but I never had a bike with that
much bugs before. So I'll probably sell it after the season so it doesn't lose all of it's
value. Sad thing as it's one sweet riding bike and it will probably keep me from buying
anything from the Trek family again...

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
WickedPaul said:
If you look at the first picture you will notice that the stock seat was one of the first things to go on this bike. It was the most uncomfortable thing ever.
Very true, it scared me just to look at it's shape when I went to pick up the bike. I gave it a shot and it proved to be, as you said, the most uncomfortable saddle I ever tried. I switched it with an old and cheap Coda saddle that came stock with a 6 years old Cannondale and the bike is now a lot more fun to ride for long periods.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Well, I've got about the same mileage on my DLX-1 now, too, but my rub marks from the cable aren't as bad. By the way, WickedPaul, that's not 1/8'th inch! (the tube wall isn't even that thick!), and if you put one of those clear or carbon-fiber decals on there...fixed.

I swapped the saddle off, along with several other parts, before my bike left the shop. I traded for a WTB SST.2k, which was supposed to be a dead replica of the .98 I have years and miles on...but it killed my gonads and now I am a eunuch. Hoping to reverse the effects, and to shake this "squeaky" nickname the guys have given me, I just swapped a new WTB Pure saddle on.

My swingarm hasn't loosened, although it annoys me to be constantly checking it since I've read of others' troubles. My shifting, SRAM, has been really good and my Avid discs have only annoyed me a little...very powerful but not as adjustable as the mechanicals are.

I've got the bars dialed in for climbing now, and have just about unlearned most of my hardtail descending techniques...but have 20 stitches in my arm to prove I haven't unlearned my HT jumping ....doh!

My Minute 2:00 has been good, and I'll be swapping in a heavier coil spring this weekend. No leaks and I can't wait to stiffen the early travel up with more spring rate.

A tumble in Noble Canyon slightly bent my derailleur hanger, which I straightened. I ordered two, anyway (one for the pack, one for the box), and was surprised at the $17 MSRP...shop charged me ten.

The clanking of the rear brake hose on the top tube annoys me, and I saw another Cake with a very clean looking, mid-tube, aftermarket clip that he'd ziptied on...still looking for that product. After singlespeeding all over, the ting-ting-ting of cables or housing on the frame drives me nuts.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
EBasil said:
My swingarm hasn't loosened, although it annoys me to be constantly checking it since I've read of others' troubles.

The clanking of the rear brake hose on the top tube annoys me, and I saw another Cake with a very clean looking, mid-tube, aftermarket clip that he'd ziptied on...still looking for that product. After singlespeeding all over, the ting-ting-ting of cables or housing on the frame drives me nuts.
Don't worry about the swingarm too much, you'll feel it as soon as it looses a bit, if it ever does.

For your hose, ask your lbs, they gave me a few stick-on plastic hose guides for free.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Don't worry about the swingarm too much, you'll feel it as soon as it looses a bit, if it ever does.

For your hose, ask your lbs, they gave me a few stick-on plastic hose guides for free.
Now that I see your photo, I think that's exactly the item I saw. Yeah, that's the ticket!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have about the same amount of miles on my 2 dlx

At first I was very impressed with the paint / finish

I have crashed a few times, and the paint is peeling in spots like my 7 year old HT. Also a Trek product.

Haven't had the loctite-less/ swingarm issue (fingers crossed)

Bike is awesome otherwise, after the first few problems have been ironed out.

I am definately faster on it than my HT.

·
Registered
248 Posts
is this post a joke?

It's a freakin 5 inch travel mtnbike, it's gonna a get a scratch or two. All of the issues you mention are superficial and will happen to ANY bike that gets ridden. Those gouges you mention are NOT in the metal, only in the paint and they look a whole lot better than the driveside chainstay scarring on my SUGAR. if you are concerned about cable rub. shoe rub, chain slap etc. cover your bike rubber.

·
I like Cake.
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it is going to get scratched, quite a bit actually because I ride it,and I ride it hard. What I was commenting on was the speed in which that kind of wear occurred. The cable wear on the head tube is only through the paint, but the wear on the seat tube is quite deep into the metal. It was caught before the damage was too bad, and has been tied back and wrapped to hopefully prevent any further damage. The cut in the metal is about as deep as the rim of a dime, which is quite scary considering it only has about 500 miles on it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i've had a similar problem with my marlin. my fuel seems almost impervious to any real scratches. i've ridden it more times down the same trails as i did with my marlin, fallen more, and the marlin has a good deal more paint damage than the trek. i think the problem may have something to do with fisher using one shad of paint on top of another instead of using more decals. maybe trek also uses more clear coat. either way i still think the fihsers start out looking better. anyone with a klein have any similar experiences?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Non-Fisher issues are annoying too, my Minute fork leaks, XT brakes always rub,
the Titec Ithys saddle is the worst my butt has ever sat on, rear derailleur has to be
re-adjusted every ride or so...
I can agree with most of your points. The loctite issue was a bummer, but now that I have fixed my bearings and installed new swingarm my chainsuck has disappeared completely. The stock seat and tires suck. The manitou fork was not fun to work on when I replaced the spring with a heavy model. The XT brakes work flawlessly for me and for several other clients I have adjusted on Fuels and Palominos, it takes some time to properly allign them, but once they are set they should not rub. I have worked on many low-normal XT derailleur setups, and I think they require much more adjustment on any model bike. Any dirt build-up makes the shifting stiff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Obviously GF has improved some things on Cake's. I have now approx. 500-600 Miles on my Cake2DLX but couldnt discover any of the above mentioned issues. It could be that my Bike is one of the latest series as i got if end of April.
I didnt had the issue with the loose swingarm nor is my seat tube gauged. I will soon post some pics to show you that they have obviously improved the cable routing a lot.
My compliments goes also to my LBS for nearly perfect service. First inspection after 250 miles was of course free of charge and they did a great job with adjustment of the front and rear derr., crankset and even wheels and spokes were checked into details as well.

At >230 lbs and quite rough terrains, you cannot claim that this bike isnt being challenged :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
chainsuck sucks!

i got a cake 2 dlx as well. i ordered it and received it in may 2004.

the bike has been in and out of the shop so many times. the problems begain as soon as we opened the box.

broken hydro brake hose. replaced hose. leaky lever. replaced lever.
broken hdyro brake hose due to poor cable routing. replaced hose.
brake system loses pressure after several pumps of brake.
replaced entire unit.

after brake issues solved (almost a month!) i get to ride the bike. what happens? CHAINSUCK.

chain suck. replaced bontrager crank with xt hollowtech 2.
chain suck returns. gouged the hell out of swingarm. bent numerous chains, broke 2 chains (5-6 chains total)
chain hops when hammering on the gears up hills
fisher rep visited my shop. saw my bike and the damage caused by the chain suck. sent replacement swingarm.

swing arm wiggly. noticed movement of bearings in suspension pivot in frame on crank side.
replaced swingarm. red loctite the bearings. they sent me a carbon fiber swingarm off the cake 1 dlx!
chainsuck and gear hopping stil present. nice gouge in brand new swingarm.

will purchase loctite 680 and set the bearings as per fisher instructions.

i'd say i got a lemon. if everyone else has these issues, GF should be takin refunds on this prime example of a poor quality product. the damage to my swingarm is clearly falls under their warranty policy. it is caused by a manufacturers defect. THEY FORGOT TO LOCTITE THE BEARINGS!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nuker, from what the gary fisher reps told me, its not that they forgot to loctite the bearings; instead the bearings were loctited but not torqued to proper setting within time of the loctite drying. Fisher tech rep specified using green 680 on the bearings and reassembling and torqueing the rear suspension to 160in/lb within 10 minutes of applying the loctite compound. Once this is done, leave the bike alone for 24hrs for loctite to dry fully, do not move the pivot. The carbon swingarm is not cake 1 dlx, it cake 1. I warranteed cake 1 dlx swingarm on my bike, they sent me regular one to start because they were out of stock of 1 dlx swingarm. They finally custom painted one at factory and sent it to me. Since using the new swingarm and new bearings installed with instructions above I have had no chainsuck, but my situation was very similar to yours when I first got my cake. Good luck on getting it fixed up!

·
Registered
121 Posts
chainsuck

yeah, you're right. i meant the swingarm came off the cake 1.

which is cool cuz now my bike looks badass with that black carbon fiber swingarm!

i will be pickin up the loctite 680 tonite and repairing the bike. hopefully my frame hasn't been damaged from the bearings moving around in there.

the bearing on the otherside hasn't budged and i dont' plan on trying to get it out, unless someone knows a safe way to remove them without using a hammer.

i hope it fixes everything cuz i reallly want to ride this bike. when it did work it worked very well!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tapped the bearing out with the handle end of an old screwdriver, in any case, the bearings only cost a few dollars from trek. Your dealer should warranty the bearings as well because in my case, the loose bearings had not taken weight distribution evenly and the no longer rotated smoothly. Get a new set of bearings to be on the safe side, and clean the frame interface of the old loctite.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.