Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woo hoo

Can't wait to take it for a burn. Its stuck in my office at the moment as I rode my mtb in. Gonna take the van in tomorrow so i can get her home and get everything tight and set. Then maybe ride it in to work thursday.

Will take some piccies once i get it home.

Any tips for riding fixed for the first time?

Cheers

Stu

·
Banned
560 Posts
Cool--congrats on the new ride!

One bit of advice: when you set it up, adjust your saddle a little lower than you normally would. This will help prevent you from locking your knees--and going over the bars--should you "coast."

Please do hook us up with some pics when it's ready to roll!

ECB

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, makes sense.

gonna have to get some mud guards for it next....altought its a shame as its so clean and pretty lookign without. UK winters are wet and cruddy though and i don't like getting a wet arse hehe.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Stuart B said:
Any tips for riding fixed for the first time?
On my first descent on a fixie I was spinning like mad, starting to bounce and freak out a little when I remembered that I could do something about it. This sounds stupid, but don't forget that you have brakes (you do have brakes, don't you?) and don't be afraid to use them. You'll get the back-pressure thing eventually, but in the meantime, ride conservatively. But no matter what you do, it's not going to feel the same!

You are going to love the experience -- Tell us all about it.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got her home. Got everything set and tight now.....forgot what a faff rim brakes were hehe.

Went for a quick spin including the first hill on my commute. its quick hehe. had a couple of moments where i naturally stopped pedalling and the pomp said otherwise hehe.

here are the links to some piccies. they arn't awesome as its dark and in the lean to where i keep my bikes. posted links to keep it dial up friendly as i don't have any software installed that will resize images at the moment.

https://www.stuart.w.brookes.dsl.pipex.com/DSCF1491.JPG

https://www.stuart.w.brookes.dsl.pipex.com/DSCF1474.JPG

https://www.stuart.w.brookes.dsl.pipex.com/DSCF1495.JPG
I bit of kinky 69 clean road bike and dirty (again it gets dark early so i hav't had cance to clean it hehe) geary mtb.

One rthing I am suprised about is I was expecting to get beaten by every bump and stone chip after getting used to squishy tyres and 5 inchs of suspension....the pomp is surprisingly comfy...guess thats steel for ya.

:)

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
35 Posts
i'm jealous, that's a beautiful rig...i might suggest riding platforms with with cages for a bit until you get comfy with the fixed set up...also, as far as descents go the slower you start out, i.e., keeping your cadence below 80 rpm the easier it is to keep from spinning out, bouncing and then launching yourself over the bars...soon it will be second nature and coasting on your other bikes will feel alien.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rode to work today without injury hehe. It is quite odd descending...need to brake to stay comf and in controly. I knocked a few minutes of my average time on the mtb at the moment...and the mtb route I take is shorter as it has a couple of off road short cuts. First time I have ridden it sub 40 minutes since ths summer when I was quicker yjan now. I started out pretty easy as I wasn't sure how to pace my self, but I can go faster still without pushing really hard I reckon. I reckon I might even be able to use the 18 tooth instead of the 20 as it came set up. The last climb on the way back is a bit tough...but not overly so, and gets me nicely out of breath :)...should help my fitness increase again hopefully.

Any one recommend some mud guards....maybe with a touch of style?

Cheers

Stu

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vacation Special said:
Make sure you keep shoe laces/ pants out of the drive train. I recomend making some classy full cover fenders out of corregated plastic, zip ties and duct tape with intertube mudflaps. Instant style. :D
Nice tip...and the lace/pants one is pretty good too!

Stu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.