Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a list of my parts that will go on my Sette Reken (BTW it's an awesome frame!). What do you think?

Frame Sette Reken Pricepoint 70.00$
Fork Rockshox Tora 302 U-Turn JensonUSA 169.99$
Headset Cane Creek S3 Pricepoint 27.00$
Stem Sette Edge O/S Pricepoint 36.00$
Handlebars Sette Edge O/S Pricepoint 00.00$ (w/stem)
Grips Odi/Oury Lockon JensonUSA 17.00$
Levers Avid Speed Dial Pricepoint 80.00$
Rear Brake Avid Single Digit 7 Pricepoint 00.00$ (w/levers)
Front Brake Avid Single Digit 7(BB7 soon!) Pricepoint 00.00$ (w/levers)
Wheelset XT Hubs/Rhyno Lites JensonUSA 170.00$
Seatpost Sette APX Alloy Pricepoint 20.00$
Saddle WTB Speed V Comp JensonUSA 27.00$
Crankset Shimano Hone JensonUSA 126.00$
Chain SRAM Pc-68 JensonUSA 36.00$
SS Conversion Gusset 1’er JensonUSA 20.00$
Cables Avid Flak Jacket Pricepoint 26.00$
Bashguard Raceface Aluminum JensonUSA 28.00$
Pedals Sun Ringle ZuZu JensonUSA 30.00$
Rear Tire Panaracer Smoke Classic JensonUSA 17.00$
Front Tire Panaracer Dart Classic JensonUSA 17.00$
Tensioner Shimano Exage(cheap derailleur) n/a 00.00$
The most impressive part of this selection so far is the tora. Its the king of adjustability and durability, but at 5.3 pounds its not for weight weenies. I might go geared after I aquire some more money, but for now this is how it stands. I recommend this kit to anyone lookin for a tough ss, or a tough, almost all mountain geared bike with some substitutions.

I'll have some pics in a month or so, hopefully more like a week. gotta get the headset cups pressed in and then cut steerer tube (shudder):yikes: and then i'm ready to put it together. It will look great when its done! All black and white (almost).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
I'm curious to see some good pics of the Sette stuff, its all over pricepoint, and I've been tempted on a few items but never got anything. The frames all looked nice in their pics, but real world... You shold post some really detailed pics of the welds and gussets.

overall it seems like a really nice build for a bargain, good shopping

I don't have the legs for a SS, thought I did in the fall, but winter has made me a tub
 

·
No good in rock gardens..
Joined
·
4,450 Posts
These Reken's seem real popular. There is nothing like that available Down Under.

You are right about the Tora - nice fork but not for weight weenies.
 

·
dirty trail dog
Joined
·
601 Posts
I used the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo for a few months last summer. They rolled real well and fast, but I noticed some serious slipping in the dry stuff, even on medium sweeper turns. They seemed to hook up okay when it was a bit damp, like early in the morning before the dew burns off. But once it dried up, they felt very slippery.

I'm looking forward to seeing your bike after the build. I don't think I've ever seen one built up except on PP, so post some pics!

[edit] I just wasn't looking in the right place: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=256382
 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try...

I will post pics as soon as possible, but it may take a while. I have pics of the gussets and welds for Karupshun and I should have them later today posted. As for the complete bike, I will post them as soon as possible, but no guarantees on when (hopefully within a month). Sorry to make you wait!
 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here you go...

Karupshun said:
I'm curious to see some good pics of the Sette stuff, its all over pricepoint, and I've been tempted on a few items but never got anything. The frames all looked nice in their pics, but real world... You shold post some really detailed pics of the welds and gussets.

overall it seems like a really nice build for a bargain, good shopping

I don't have the legs for a SS, thought I did in the fall, but winter has made me a tub
I will post pics of the parts if needed (except cranks chain grips pedals haven't shipped). Sorry about the bad quality pics. That's what you get when you combine me with a camera.


 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Got Trails?
Joined
·
680 Posts
damn, these threads on Sette Builds is making me want to drop the $70 & start a new build.:D The welds look just as good if not better then my IronHorse frame.
You have to post up the finished product once all the parts get in.:thumbsup:
 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ironbike1 said:
damn, these threads on Sette Builds is making me want to drop the $70 & start a new build.:D The welds look just as good if not better then my IronHorse frame.
You have to post up the finished product once all the parts get in.:thumbsup:
BTW the rekens back up to 100. Not that big a deal though...
 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dnlwthrn said:
What's the actual weight on the Reken frame? Just curious...
When I weighed mine it came out to 4.2 pounds, so the stated 4.3 pounds on Pricepoint is accurate. That is a reasonable weight for such a frame, not that I care about weight.
 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
loadedcarp said:
I used the Panaracer Smoke/Dart combo for a few months last summer. They rolled real well and fast, but I noticed some serious slipping in the dry stuff, even on medium sweeper turns. They seemed to hook up okay when it was a bit damp, like early in the morning before the dew burns off. But once it dried up, they felt very slippery.

I'm looking forward to seeing your bike after the build. I don't think I've ever seen one built up except on PP, so post some pics!

[edit] I just wasn't looking in the right place: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=256382
Karupshun said:
I'm curious to see some good pics of the Sette stuff, its all over pricepoint, and I've been tempted on a few items but never got anything. The frames all looked nice in their pics, but real world... You shold post some really detailed pics of the welds and gussets.

overall it seems like a really nice build for a bargain, good shopping

I don't have the legs for a SS, thought I did in the fall, but winter has made me a tub
You want pics of any of the parts? I know other people have pics of their builds, but mine is better! Just Kidding! Mine is just better cuz its mine. Can't wait for discs, I will probably have bb7 in front and bb5 in rear eventually! For now the single digits work fine. By the way, do any of you know how long the pads last on the bb7s and bb5s. Im not gonna buy discs if I have to drop 15$ every month on pads...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,281 Posts
Ok, so if I were to swap my parts over to a Reken frame, I'd theoretically be at 25lbs... Now the question is whether everything would swap over... Time to look at the Reken specs.

Really though, I'm still probably getting a FS bike, just a matter of time and $$.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
tibug said:
. By the way, do any of you know how long the pads last on the bb7s and bb5s. Im not gonna buy discs if I have to drop 15$ every month on pads...
for mechicanical discs, get semi-metallic pads, they fade much slower. they should last a long time too

I've never actually seen/used ceramic-sintered, but they seem overkill and I'd rather have a pad wear than a disc

organic pads on MX-1s caused me to nearly die too many times:eek:
 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some Pics!

Here's some extremely terrible pics of my bike. Still don't have the cranks, pedals, chain, or grips. Cranks won't ship until March!!!:madman:!!! And they still have to ship the missing skewer.:madmax:





Can't wait for the rest of the parts!:thumbsup:
 

·
SuperInstigator
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:thumbsup: If you wan't more pics of the frame or parts I'll take 'em!:)

Everybody jammin in jamaica!:band: Ya man!
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top