Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my road bike and needed something to commute on, but also be able to do a couple of 50-mile XC endurance races that I usually do every summer/fall. By no means is this bike super light, but for what I spent, I'm quite pleased so far. Started as a stock 2018 Scott Scale 950 that I picked up "used" on The Pro's Closet. It looked like it had only been ridden around the parking lot. So aside from the handlebars, grips, and saddle, the upgrades were bought "used." My goal was to keep the whole project under $2k. I got super lucky and found some peeps that took this stuff off the second they bought new bikes and I just happened to be on MTBR, CL, or Pinkbike at the right time. And I have to say that riding a hardtail for the first time in 20 years has been pretty damn fun. I'm not really a weight weenie, but this was a fun budget project.

Starting weight: 26 lbs

Upgrades:
- Fork: 2019 Rock Shox Sid RL3 (take-off, never used, custom decals from Slik Graphics)
- Wheels: 2019 Syncros XR1.5 wheelset w/ DT internals(take-off, never used)
- Cassette: SRAM XG-1180
- Saddle: Specialized Power Expert
- Dropper: Brand X Ascend 125mm
- Grips: SDG Slater
- Bars: Race Face Next Flat 720mm
- Tires: Vittoria Mezcal - 29x2.35, set up tubeless

Not gonna say exactly what I spent on everything, but I was right in-line with my budget of $2k all-in, after upgrades. Eventually, I'll get a carbon frame, but for now, this does the job.

Final weight: 22.5 lbs

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.