Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course, I fix one thing and another on breaks, but such is life. Came down hard on the front of the seat and it went "vvvvvvvvppp" and I knew exactly what happened. Now it will not stay in place. So, I am no weight weenie, and want something pretty strong. There are Easton's on Jenson for $20 bucks, are these ok? I am not going to be spending $100 on this. The size is 30.9mm, something like this?
https://jensonusa.com/store/product/SE402A03-Easton+Havoc+Seatpost.aspx

Of course, the damage:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That is a cheapo, single clamp bolt design. I'm not shocked it broke.

A Havoc is way overkill. Besides using two bolts, it is a freeride post, which means it is designed for big drops.

It will be heavier than a regular 2-bolt post, but you won't be snapping it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I am not surprised either, that was the stock post that came with my bike. Im 250lb, I only want something I wont have to worry about.

·
Dirt Abuser
829 Posts
Check out the Thomson's, they seem to be the 'defacto' standard Mtb seatpost. I'm only 190 geared up and never had a problem. I'm sure others that weight 220+ with a Thomson will check in and give their .02.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have broke two bolts on my old bike's single-bolt post lately. If it gets the slightest bit loose it's allowed to torque around and eventually will sheer off. Not worth it to replace so I keep a set of spare bolts in my pack and try to keep it tight!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Look for a design with two bolts: one in front of the saddle, and one in back. The design you pictured is notorious for breaking bolts. But you don't need to go nuts and get a Thomson, especially if it's way more expensive than everything else on your bike -- there are some decent entry-level seatposts in the $30 range that use two bolts for adjustment, rather than that one bolt and "friction."

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm going to get a 2-bolt post, for under $20 I'm good with that. I was half an inch from an icepack and a weekend on the couch the other day when that bolt snapped!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im glad mine didnt shear the bolt like that, it just slipped and the seat angled up. It would have been scary to have the seat come right off!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts