Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up my first non walmart bike today since im really starting to get into mountain biking...i think its a pretty good choice for an entry level.....2010 GT Avalance 3.0 Disc Hardtail.. im a pretty big guy (225lbs) and she is really solid, the forks are pretty good, havent bottomed out yet and the lockout is pretty sweet too....anyone else out there have the same bike? any advice for taking good care of my investment would be greatly appreciated as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Pretty one! Wrap the chain stay with old tubes or lizard skin, get some 3m clear patch to prevent cable rub on frames, go ride it hard! I know you want to protect it but riding hard (doesn't mean fast or anything, just enjoy workout) is what it's made for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
funny thing happened today, out doing some light downhills and jumps just to get a feel for it and as i place it in low to go up a hill, disaster strikes. For whatever reason the chain hopped off and seized up in the middle sprocket so badly that it bent it out of alingment beyond repair. Took it back to REI to see if they could order a replacment under warranty (these things tend to happen), and the manager was cool enough to upgrade me to a Shimano Deore XT Crankset ($240 !!!!) free of charge for all the hassle. Kudos to REI, they just got a customer for life...took it back out with the new crank and its friggin sweet...bike is super solid, brakes stop on a dime (even going downhill) and the fork rides really smooth....this might be one of the times when it is actually a good thing if you break your bike....

·
May the Force be with you
1,035 Posts
REI Is Great

medicmike said:
funny thing happened today, out doing some light downhills and jumps just to get a feel for it and as i place it in low to go up a hill, disaster strikes. For whatever reason the chain hopped off and seized up in the middle sprocket so badly that it bent it out of alingment beyond repair. Took it back to REI to see if they could order a replacment under warranty (these things tend to happen), and the manager was cool enough to upgrade me to a Shimano Deore XT Crankset ($240 !!!!) free of charge for all the hassle. Kudos to REI, they just got a customer for life...took it back out with the new crank and its friggin sweet...bike is super solid, brakes stop on a dime (even going downhill) and the fork rides really smooth....this might be one of the times when it is actually a good thing if you break your bike....
I've had nothing but great things to say about REI since they started to sell GT bikes.

Nice bike. Enjoy and glad you enjoy the new ride.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
medicmike said:
any advice for taking good care of my investment would be greatly appreciated ...
yeah, take the reflectors off :D

Nice looking GT. And yes, props to REI for their above and beyond remedy.

Oh, and if you haven't yet, most riders find it is a good idea to move each brake lever/shifter inboard (toward the stem) about 1/2" to 3/4" so that you exert a little more leverage when braking--you are pressing closer to the ends of the levers so one finger braking is better. Shifter levers should still be easily accessible with this adjustment. Loosen the clamps, slide everything to a position that works for you and re-tighten.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Thats Awesome The XT crank is so smooth that is a heck of an upgarde.

Never bought a bike from REI but agree great place for gear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
koldsimer1 said:
Nice gt! Just curious, how tall are you?
i am 5'8 and with a solid 225lb body. The 18inch fit, but there was just something about the 16inch frame that felt better. I did some decent drop-offs yesterday at like 1.5-2 feet and the forks didnt even come close to bottoming out..and yeah, the XT crank makes an outstanding upgrade....i didnt imagine it would be that big of a difference in feel but it was.... Oh, the thing i like about REI is that im going to get 10% of the purchase price back at the end of the year so i will be getting a check for 54.00 (not too shabby) and the manager told me that as part of their policy, if at any time i own the bike ( even 2 years down the road ), if i become dis-satisfied with it, i can return it for a full refund.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an '09 GT avalanche disc and I couldn't be happier with the frame. I'm 5'11" 180lbs and I have already started upgrading just because....I like upgrading. :D

Besides clipless platform pedals, I now have a rockshox Tora 318 coil on the front - it is SO MUCH BETTER than the stock suntour. I really recommend it. It's a great fork for the money ($249 at jensons) and you WILL notice the difference.

I also threw on some Avid BB7s complete with speed7 levers to replace the stock brakes - also a huge improvement.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Love the looks of the lower top tube. Why is it I can't find any other pics other than yours with the top tube dropped like that? Even GT's website shows the old style for 2010. I bought my son a 2.0 last year and the dropped tube would have been nice as the medium was just a bit big for him. I installed a Toro 318 as well as converted it to a 9 speed and have UST wheels going on next week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
tailwaters said:
Love the looks of the lower top tube. Why is it I can't find any other pics other than yours with the top tube dropped like that? Even GT's website shows the old style for 2010. I bought my son a 2.0 last year and the dropped tube would have been nice as the medium was just a bit big for him. I installed a Toro 318 as well as converted it to a 9 speed and have UST wheels going on next week.
The dropped top tube is just for the S and XS sizes, and is there for standover clearance
for shorter riders. They've done this for a fair few years now.

All the marketing pics from GT will be M's or L's as that's what most people will buy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ditto almost

Badkharma said:
I now have a rockshox Tora 318 coil on the front - it is SO MUCH BETTER than the stock suntour. I really recommend it. It's a great fork for the money ($249 at jensons) and you WILL notice the difference.
I'm not familiar with the Suntour fork, but Badkharma is right about the Tora 318. Personally, I prefer the Tora 318 air solo. A great, underrated, bang for the buck fork. It's lighter, and can usually be found for equal or less $. I got an OEM one for $150. The down side is it comes stock at 100mm, and to adjust travel you have to add or remove internal spacers. Very easy to do though. Dont be fooled by the Tora 289 or 302 the stanchions/lowers are the same as 318, but the dampers are basically Dart level.

If you want a great deal right now, The Rock Shox Recon Air Race OEM is $239 at wheelworld.com A tip about wheelworld, always call to confirm what is in stock BEFORE ordering. They're notorious for being out and taking forever to refund. Also, functionally i've never had an issue, but cosmetically, the forks are usually nicked up a bit on the lowers, crown, etc but not usually the stanchions. They do allow returns, but you pay shipping, and sometimes re-stock. If you ask, they generally waive the re-stock fee.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.