Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
karmacoma
635 Posts
lightbright84 said:
but let's be honest, I know nothing about it. But I want to get him an awesome Christmas present. Any ideas as to what someone would really like?
a jearsey or a pair of gloves is probably a safe choice. maybe some glasses. (my girlfriend gave me a cyclocomputer once but she knew I didnt have one; find out if your bf needs any bike components)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
triphop said:
a jearsey or a pair of gloves is probably a safe choice. maybe some glasses. (my girlfriend gave me a cyclocomputer once but she knew I didnt have one; find out if your bf needs any bike components)
Is there any good brands that I should look at? I'd like to get him the best kind I can and not some cheap rip off, but knowing me, I'll probably get the worst brand available and not realize it, hahaha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. How much do you want to spend? probably around 200-300.
2. What kind of riding does he do? Cross-country, trail, free-riding, downhill? Mostly trail.
3. Is there anything he has mentioned in passing? Hahah, how rude is it to say that I really block him out when he drones on and on about it. But I'll keep an ear open now.

But I'll definitely keep all those in mind, that was great. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
72 Posts
A few questions first.
1. How much do you want to spend?
2. What kind of riding does he do? Cross-country, trail, free-riding, downhill?
3. Is there anything he has mentioned in passing?
A few things riders can always use are:
Socks -either by Defeet or Sockguy $12 per pair
Gloves -you can try Fox or Specialized (my personal preference but there are others) $19-40
New mini pump with air pressure gauge - Crank Brothers makes one $40
Topeak or Park mini-tool $30
Free subscription to favorite magazine - $10-20
Sunglasses w/interchangable lenses - Native Eyewear makes some with a great warranty
$100
New baggie shorts -Nema Jewels or Fox High Frequency $80
New wheelset - FSA XC-300 $300 from downshiftcycles.com
You can get other ideas by looking at online shopping sites. here are a few
performancebike.com
nashbar.com
supergo.com
excelsports.com
downshiftcycles.com
jensonusa.com
greenfishsports.com
Just a few for starters. There are many many more.
Good luck and have a great holiday.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
I used to hate getting the wrong thing for a gift but it was always the thought behind it...

Most shops these days have gift certificates. If it were me, I'd get a pair of socks with a gift certificate for $XXX tucked in with it. That way, he can go get what he really needs or even wait 'til it goes on sale and save a buck or two. Or, he could use it to splurge and order some gee-whiz part he was dreaming of...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
FloridaFish said:
Go riding with him.
best advice yet...and also the nice outfits mentioned above...if you are reluctant to do either one of these, the socks with gift certificate is a good idea...

better yet, listen to him after a ride, he'll let you know if anything could be better, then post her asking about that specific component/problem, and we'll have lots of suggestions...

·
aka greyranger
507 Posts
gift ideas

There are some things that I always need that he might as well: gloves, jersys, new pack back with water pouch, shorts, socks, if he is into tech stuff maybe a gps(garmin or Magellan). Good luck

·
Registered
576 Posts
repair stand if he doesn't already have one.

If he doesn't already have a repair stand that would be a good choice in that price range. The brand of repair stands most people like is the ultimate brand. If you want a nice one go for the ultimate pro, or the ultimate pro elite.

Whatever you decide if you want to find a good deal you can go to bestbikebuys.com for price comparison shipping. Also check out Jensonusa.com they have what they call market pricing, where if anyone price matches the item they make that price available to everybody.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'd say taking him on a dream trip to a mountain bike mecca he hasn't been able to visit would be an awesome gift (plenty of spots to aim at where if you don't bike doesn't mean you won't have a great time, too)...who knows, might even awake your own bike passion in the process...

·
pain don't hurt
162 Posts
Workstand!

texas said:
If he doesn't already have a repair stand that would be a good choice in that price range. The brand of repair stands most people like is the ultimate brand. If you want a nice one go for the ultimate pro, or the ultimate pro elite.

Whatever you decide if you want to find a good deal you can go to bestbikebuys.com for price comparison shipping. Also check out Jensonusa.com they have what they call market pricing, where if anyone price matches the item they make that price available to everybody.
I vote for this, great idea.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
triphop said:
ask your BF's biking buddies what he needs

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
My girlfriend gave me a Park Tool top of the line tool kit, it blew me away, best gift ever for me, use it always. Dam expensive birthday present. But way cool.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.