Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have an older Blur and I am having some issues with the disc brakes I would like to start over and with a new set any suggestions? I currently have old 04' Hayes they were great until now I am not looking to break the bank with a new set.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
I think you should stick with Hayes just because the need the support and I'm worried about them getting devoured by SRAM, who is taking over the market. Plus they always make good brakes and the Primes look awesome.
Probably not the best reasoning...

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Check into the brake forum (but whatever you do, do NOT read the thread "I hate the 2012 XT's". It is 100% complete mindless drivel). There's a good number of people out there who are really, really happy with the new things coming from Shimano and the XT's are at a near perfect price point IMO. Really worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Check into the brake forum (but whatever you do, do NOT read the thread "I hate the 2012 XT's". It is 100% complete mindless drivel). There's a good number of people out there who are really, really happy with the new things coming from Shimano and the XT's are at a near perfect price point IMO. Really worth looking into.
I haven't read the thread but two of my buddies just switched to the 12' XT's and love them. One from Avid XO's that he had two warranty failures on. I love euro brakes. Hope's and Formula's are my game. They are expensive though and sometimes hard to find parts for. The new XT's would be my choice if I were replacing today.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have used a set of XTR 975 (I assume similar to XT's), as well as Elixer Cr's.
The Shimano's use mineral oil for what its worth. I liked how far out the levers were on them and they were silent.
Elixers worked well, but were noisey, and I could never get the levers far enough out for me. They use DOT fluid.

·
WooHoo Biking!!!!
205 Posts
Big fan of the Avids

I have had Hayes, Shimano XT's, & Avid Elixer CR's
The Hayes were okay on my first Trek Liquid. Nothing spectacular and they were easy to bleed using a makeshift syringe and bottle. I didn't like the kit that Hayes provided.

I had the Shimano XT's on my Trek Remedy and they rode great in the summer. When it got cold, they became very tight. I saw that issue on another board and I wasn't a big fan. I also had difficulty bleeding these for some reason.

On my Butcher, I tried the Avid Elixr CR. They are awesome and they ride great. I purchased the bleed kit and it was ridiculously easy to do. The directions were clear and concise and there was a good video on YouTube. I liked them so much, I replaced the BB7's on my old Blur 1.0 with Elixr 5 brakes. They are also awesome.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
I've had a LOT of high end brakes on the market (XTRs, XTs, Saints) and now I have Hope M4s on two of my bikes. Enough said.
Well yeah, that's what I'm running as well . . . however I think OP is looking for something a little less spendy.

If $$$ isn't an issue though, then I retract my statement and suggest Hope's. I'm running an M4 in the front and an X2 in the rear and its superb (once you get them set up right).

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Well yeah, that's what I'm running as well . . . however I think OP is looking for something a little less spendy.

If $$$ isn't an issue though, then I retract my statement and suggest Hope's. I'm running an M4 in the front and an X2 in the rear and its superb (once you get them set up right).
OoPops, I didn't see that part. The M4s are almost Ok priced from chain reaction without rotors. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.