Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been wondering for a while now and i don't really know exactly what could be causing it but my bikes rear shock doesn't seem to be as poppy or doesnt "skim" over the trails. It seems to soak them up in a sense but bogs me down with it to losing speed. I feel as if im constantly on the pedals trying to get more speed "wanting" to go faster but the bike doesnt really allow it. Is it down the the Frame geo of the bike or something to do with my shock?

It is more on the playful side of things and doesn't monster truck like some bikes, but don't get me wrong it absolutely can swallow any trail.

The shock is a fox float x2 2021 and the bike is a Polygon siksui n7.

This is the bike but not mine exactly. I have the x2 rear shock.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

·
Underskilled
4,934 Posts
Less round damping, more compression damping would be a start.

The X2 does have a swallow and hug character though. Lots of grip, not much boing.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
It's a combo of your shock tune and suspension kinematics. There's always a balance to be struck between ground tracking, and "sporty" or "poppy" feel. I don't know anything about your frame but I'll guess it's biased towards ground tracking with a shock tune to accentuate that. A little less sag, Faster rebound, a little more SLC, and HSC will liven things up. Swapping the X2 for a less DH biased air shock will have a big effect. The X2 is a coil in a can. It's not a lively shock. It's what you want when you really want a coil, but don't want the weight, or your frame won't play well with a coil.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
The instructions on my EXT say increasing HSC will make the bike ride higher in choppy terrain and "skip" over rather than bog/sink in between. I agree with this having messed with it, although it will compromise some comfort. You've got an X2, so you should be able to do this.

Reactions: Le Duke

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,720 Posts
My 2015 Range rode exactly as described by the OP. Too little PSI (30% sag) and I was living in the troughs. Adding a bit of psi (25% sag) instantly solved things - I felt like I was skimming across the top of the uneven terrain, and not living deep within it. I was apprehensive to do this at first, worried I would not get the full benefit of my travel. I have since become much more wise about things.

There is a long and very helpful thread years ago where I posed the same question.

·
Who's riding today?
1,449 Posts
What settings have you tried? I would increase the air pressure first by 20psi and see if that changes anything
Add air.... where, the tires? What seems to be missing is an air shock to add the "air". I suspect you could replace the coil with the next level up for increased resistance. I ride a coil on the rear of my fully and love the smooth, no "pop" feel one gets from air shocks.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Add air.... where, the tires? What seems to be missing is an air shock to add the "air". I suspect you could replace the coil with the next level up for increased resistance. I ride a coil on the rear of my fully and love the smooth, no "pop" feel one gets from air shocks.
OP said he has an X2. Picture is of a different bike but same model frame.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I also forgot to mention my x2 is the float so I don’t have HSR/HSC. I’m at the mercy of the tune. I’ve played around with heaps of settings before and could never get it feeling buttery/skippy over rough sections. Could just be the bike skimatics though and I’m expecting to much. It can absolutely plow but in some rock gardens it can start to chock and bounce around a lot.

im running around 160psi in the shock and no spacers. Maybe more spacers would help things?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.