Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bike: probably the lightest Specialized Hard Rock on earth ;-)

Here it is, sitting at 22.0 lbs. I've replaced pretty much everything except the frame and the rear wheel. I love the red, white, and blue color scheme now and want to keep the frame even though Im sure its heavy. I'm debating whether to add my 93g Klein handlebar or not. Also, you may notice there is no front derailleur. I'm getting one soon since my old one broke.

Frame: 00 Specialized Hard Rock
Fork: SID 98
Stem: Syntace f99 (ti bolts)
Headset: Extralite the Head
Shifters: Sachs Quarz (al bolts)
Handlebar: Cut down generic aluminum
Levers: Pauls (al bolts)
Brakes: Vuelta Mags (al bolts)
Housing: Tune 5mm
Grips: Pork rinds
Crankset: Tune
Chainrings: Sugino/al 20t
Rear derailleur: Proshift (al/ti bolts)
Chain: pc-89r
Cassette: Dura-Ace 12-27
Rear Wheel: x517/xt
Front Wheel: ZAC-19
Pedals: Corratec ti (al bolts)
Skewers: steel bolts-ons
Tires: Nokian NBX lite 2.0
Seatpost: Thomson
Clamp: Extralite
Saddle: Specialized (plastic panels removed)

·
Get your freak on!
2,697 Posts
Looks good:) But that is a crazy weird build!

You have some very weight weeine parts on there... and then you have some very non- weight weenie parts.

Your seatpost and seat are both quite heavy. Juding by some of the other parts your using, i think it is safe to say you could get a lighter seatpost:) And I'm sure you could find a saddle that is lighter, yet just as comfortable.

I'm sure you know that your wheels aren't that light, so I won't go into that:)

And lastly, you have a HEAP of spacers under your stem there! I can't really see properly from the pictures, but those spcaers look like Aluminium. Get yourself some carbon ones:)

But that is a cool bike:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
bike_freak said:
Looks good:) But that is a crazy weird build!

You have some very weight weeine parts on there... and then you have some very non- weight weenie parts.

Your seatpost and seat are both quite heavy. Juding by some of the other parts your using, i think it is safe to say you could get a lighter seatpost:) And I'm sure you could find a saddle that is lighter, yet just as comfortable.

I'm sure you know that your wheels aren't that light, so I won't go into that:)

And lastly, you have a HEAP of spacers under your stem there! I can't really see properly from the pictures, but those spcaers look like Aluminium. Get yourself some carbon ones:)

But that is a cool bike:)
what alternative to thomson do you suggest? I have frequently asked about lighter alternatives and noone seems to come up with a model that is lighter but just as good clamp design and troublefree...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bike_freak, yes I know there are heavy parts on the bike. I can't really justify getting a new seatpost/saddle though. I will try cutting the post a little shorter. I have tried a USE but it gave me nothing but problems. I sold it. The "manganese" rails on the saddle are rusting (probably a really bad thing) so I expect that to die soon. I am still looking for a ~150g saddle with a cutout.

The bike was designed for an 80mm shock that's the reason for all the spacers. I may take one 5mm one off and shorten the steerer. I'll be on the lookout for carbon spacers.

I will consider putting on the Stratum... we will see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.