Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, well i got a specialized rockhopper with some ups and it still has a 100mm stem. Im 6'1'', 250 lbs, will this stem size just f**k me over when i jump? I do a lot of riding on trails and i just want to mix it up alittle with some dirt jumps. by the way, the jumps are at max at the moment only about 4-5 feet tall. so yeah let me no if i should just get a smaller stem or what

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
That's a pretty long stem IMO. Mine is 40mm. It's all about fit first and foremost, so if you like it as is you can always keep it.

At 250lbs, I'd consider something like a DH stem(Hussefelt, holzfeller, diabolus and many more) just for added safety, better pay for a chunk of metal than for a medical bill.

Edit: Be aware that over time you will likely break the bike's frame as it is not meant for the purpose of dirt jumping. Just check it for any cracks after every ride and you'll be fine. You'll be bored of it when it happens and will want something new.

Cheers, and keep the rubber side down(for the moment)

·
Registered
952 Posts
I second getting a shorter stem. While sure you can jump with it, it's pulling your body weight more over the front wheel. Fine for the XC stuff that bike was meant for, but not so good for DJ. But you do say that you mostly spend your time riding trails, so I wouldn't suggest a short jumping stem. The RaceFace Diabolus stem come in 70mm which would be about midway between XC and DJ lengths, but still be tough enough for DJ.

I also agree with check your frame for cracks. Give it a once over after every hard session.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...ok sounds good. i have a couple of bmx bikes n stuff too, so should i just rebuild one of them so i have a dj bike and an xc bike? only problem with this is my money is very constricted so yeah. thoughts?

·
Renegade of Krunk
604 Posts
I used to DJ a Raleigh Ram 2.0 with an XC style stem without a problem. You can without a doubt get by with one, but if you're strictly going to dirt jump and ride some street, etc I would buy a new stem. I've got a DK Slugger now and it's been too long since I rode the Raleigh to compare the two, but I'm sure the shorter stem on my DK makes it nicer.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
As long as your smooth its not a problem, but you need to be spot on with your landings. I have a buddy who DJed a Klein when he was having issues with his other bike. But he was super smooth and never cased a thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.