Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As if a rainy Monday wasn’t bad enough, I noticed this when walking past my bike this morning. Turns out my Cateye Cordless goes into a “Sleep” mode after 2 weeks of inactivity. Wow, what a bummer and I never thought I’d let this happen. But the short days, lots of rain and scheduling conflicts all conspired to keep me off the bike for way too long.

Here is the Northeast, the temps are going to return back to normal again (much colder). So, my bike may continue to catch a few more Zzzz’s for awhile. I’ve been working out indoors, but just not the same.

Anyone else in the same predicament?

Paul

Attachments

·
MTB Withdrawal
89 Posts
My derailleur hanger is out, but my derailleur survived perfectly. After 2 weeks out of the saddle, I'm finally getting around to ordering a pair tonight.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Here in Colorado it's been cold, then damn cold, and then more snow, which has been a weekly occurance for a month now. Still about 2 feet lying around. The trails may not be ready to ride for a while. My bike, although hibernating, has never been so slim (upgraditus wheels), clean and fit for riding.:madman: Now back to spinning on the trainer:madmax:

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Yup. I can hear my bikes snoring in the corner too. :sleep:

:prft: This weather is a bummer all right. BUT, I finally got around to "spring" cleaning my room and bringing some stuff to the thrift store :thumbsup:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Paul1PA said:
As if a rainy Monday wasn't bad enough, I noticed this when walking past my bike this morning. Turns out my Cateye Cordless goes into a "Sleep" mode after 2 weeks of inactivity. Wow, what a bummer and I never thought I'd let this happen. But the short days, lots of rain and scheduling conflicts all conspired to keep me off the bike for way too long.

Here is the Northeast, the temps are going to return back to normal again (much colder). So, my bike may continue to catch a few more Zzzz's for awhile. I've been working out indoors, but just not the same.

Paul
Dude, this is WAY off topic, but that avatar is really, really funny.......

cheers,
simp

·
Registered
710 Posts
my main ride is hanging in the basement with the wheels off. Waiting for my new tires to arrive so I can mount them and get the on for Spring which hopefully comes really soon. Got a slick on my second bike and it is on the trainer. It sucks but better then nothing to stay in shape.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My bikes are still getting some attention when I can, it was 14f today but I couldn't handle not riding my mtb any longer so I went for an ice/snow ride on a local loop. I try to beat on my cross bike at least 2 times a week now. 41 days until race season starts for me, hopefully that means spring will be in step with it for once.

I myself on the other hand have been suffering from buyingexcessivecrapIdon'tneedformybikeitis. New road bike, new wheels for the mtb, tires for everything, lightweight shiny things, heavy utilitarian things, gobs of clothing that I can't even wear until it gets warm again... all this crap is filling up my apt. because it's the closest I can get to riding for right now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
pa and rain

even if it warmed up there is no way you are going to ride and enjoy it for at least a week or two in PA. I have standing water in my yard and I have never seen that before. There is so much friggin water in my yard I cant imagine what a trail would be like to ride.

At times i hate pa. We get more craptastic weather than anyother spot in the country. I just found out that the gov. built bunkers for weapons in nw pa in the 50's and 60's b/c of the cloud cover....russians couldnt take pics of them b/c there was so much cloud cover. nuf said.

·
Registered
552 Posts
simplton said:
Dude, this is WAY off topic, but that avatar is really, really funny.......

cheers,
simp
yes it is! As a matter of fact, I think that is one of the best avatars I have ever seen :thumbsup:

As for the whole hibernating stuff.... here in the midwest we got slammed with an icestorm several days ago, perhaps you heard about it. Anyway, I haven't been able to ride for 3 days and I am already starting to feel claustrophobic and the overwhelming NEED to go outside and ride even if I do slide all over the freakin' place and bust my a$$ once or twice in the process. I do not see how you Pacificnorthwesterners make it through the Winter. 2 weeks without rideing and then some?:madman: I would go crazy! But at least you are staying active if even indoors, some activity is better then none. But nothing beats outside activity while doing what you love to do no matter if it is running, sking, biking, or whatever it is that one loves to do outside. I feel for ya.
Hang in there and remember April 1st, daylight savings time begins! :D

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
That happened to my roadie a couple of weeks ago. No big - I rid my mtb in the winter more, but with the unusually warm temps we had (which are now gone) I did get out for a nice, in-to-the-wind, 21 miler on the road bike :cool:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks to global warming I was able to enjoy a balmy 60 degree ride at 9:00am in the morning in good ole North Cakalacky. Highs so far this week are about 25 degrees above normal with no rain! Back to our normal crappy weather tomorrow though, cold and rainy.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Unfortunately winter looks as though it has arrived here in NH, so I guess the bike is going to be spending a lot of time sleeping in the bike stand. My bike is as clean as it's been in a long time though, so I guess there are upsides to this weather.

·
Registered
829 Posts
South west Uk

Here it has rained for weeks,Sunday the sun shone and i went out for the first time since before Xmas, trails are so wet and the horse people have plowed everything to gloop...3 hours riding, and 2 days later i still ache.

Now its back to rain :rolleyes:

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Deltas88 said:
Here in Colorado it's been cold, then damn cold, and then more snow, which has been a weekly occurance for a month now. Still about 2 feet lying around. The trails may not be ready to ride for a while. My bike, although hibernating, has never been so slim (upgraditus wheels), clean and fit for riding.:madman: Now back to spinning on the trainer:madmax:
Yeah, and you know how Murphy does it. By the time the trails get to where you can ride them, it rains/snows again and then you get to wait some more. Everytime I planned to go riding in the past 3 weeks, rain/snow came in. Doh! At least my trainer gets a good workout!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It is still snowy here in CO, but hey, no crowds!! Get back out there, every day is a training day!! No rest for the wicked!!:D

Attachments

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
We still haven't had much of a winter in NC. We rode from about 10:30 - 4:30 on Saturday and the temperature was in the upper 60's :D I had back to back colds for most of December though and was off the bike for about a month. It felt good to get back in gear and do some serious riding. I had a good ride yesterday too. February is usually the month that we get hit with nasty weather - we all have to sit out at some point.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Paul1PA said:
As if a rainy Monday wasn't bad enough, I noticed this when walking past my bike this morning. Turns out my Cateye Cordless goes into a "Sleep" mode after 2 weeks of inactivity. Wow, what a bummer and I never thought I'd let this happen. But the short days, lots of rain and scheduling conflicts all conspired to keep me off the bike for way too long.

Here is the Northeast, the temps are going to return back to normal again (much colder). So, my bike may continue to catch a few more Zzzz's for awhile. I've been working out indoors, but just not the same.

Paul
Yes, it's tough in SoCal too. With the cold jet stream and high winds that close the State Parks I've only biked 12 out of 15 days in January. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.