Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my chain keeps breaking!!! it's only like a month old and it's been doing it since day one. what could my problem be?

·
Old man on a bike
12,389 Posts
You're still using the same chain? You're gonna have to describe more symptoms to help diagnose your problem...and put a new chain on there first. You might look for bent teeth on your chainrings or cassette cogs for a starter...

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
If it's full suspension, chain growth could be one reason. If you're using Shimano chains, you have to join it with a special pin. Look for irregular drivetrain wear. Your chain could just be too short. Or you're using improper shifting techniques. Lots of possible causes.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
PLURPIMPIN said:
my chain keeps breaking!!! it's only like a month old and it's been doing it since day one. what could my problem be?
Are you experiencing chainsuck? Chains often break during an episode of chainsuck. Have you joined the chain properly (is the chain breaking at the site where you joined the chain?)? Do you shift under load (try not to)?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm using a sram 9 speed chain. it's on a hardtail. single ring in the front. could it have anything to do with the fact that the chain fell off in the front alot before i got a single speed ring up there? i still have the same chain on but it just has a tendency to come apart in random places. and i don't shift under load

·
Old man on a bike
12,389 Posts
You still need to provide some more description of what's going on. How many times has it broken? How are you repairing the chain? Did you replace the damaged links or reuse them? Putting the bike in the stand, pedalling backwards, is the chain going smoothly thru the rear derailleur pulleys? Did you check for bent teeth on rings/cogs?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've replaced the links when they break with new ones. the chain doesn't move smoth backwards but i'm pretty sure that's cause my derailleur is really messed up. there are no bent teeth on the cassette or chainring but since my bottom bracket is bent it does have quite a bit of side to side play (as if the chainring is bent)

·
Registered
180 Posts
so your bb and rear der are bent and you are wondering why your chain keeps breaking??

im no bike mechanic, but wouldnt you fix those 2 problems first?

steve

·
Live 2 Ride
6,084 Posts
No need for personal attacks guys. He had a problem he didn't understand and now he knows how to fix it. That's what we come here for right?

·
Live 2 Ride
6,084 Posts
By the way PLURPIMPIN I might have a BB that you can have. I'll have to look around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts