Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve been lurking here ´bout ... well definitly to long, until I put my hands on the waltworks frame set, sherpaxc was selling via classified few weeks ago. I decided to give 29er a serious try. Well. I´m´in. I don´t know, if it has anything to do with 29er in general, but that rig definitly rocks. I still like my kiddie wheeled bike, but I already started to call it "kiddie wheeled" ;) Probably I´m going to be one of you maniacs:D

Here is the bike, as selled, built up, ridden and kinda abused And this is hopefully just the beginnig of a long rooty rocky friendship.

My favourite part is the Roy Lichtenstein alike decal set. It looks like pink, doesn´t? In fact it is not. It is white plus a whole lotta little red squares. Really. Not bad for a guy who claims to be a design noob Mr. Wehner. ;)

Thanks a lot Walt, for building such a good bike.
And thanks a lot sherpaxc for the great deal.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Great pics, great bike, and I see that you are definitely holding your mouth just right for riding on the rocks on a 29'er . . . :D :thumbsup:

Enjoy it.

R.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
wow....you went into head first!!! great job!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys.

As for "holding my mouth":p I regognized in several action shots that I doen´t have that relaxed ritchie schley smiling but a kinda dump face nearly all the time. But in my head smiling goes from ear to ear.:) What the hack...

The riding areas all spots in east germany. Mostly in the Harz Mountains. Very very close to be the geographic centrum of central europe. You didn´t expect that, hm?

One more action shot for the show:

As for going head first: Felling in love with the bigger wheels? Yes.Trying to figure out new riding limits? Yes. Paying big money to jump in. Definitly not. The frameset was kind of a killer deal, you can´t go wrong with. The custom geo is the nearly same, what I would have asked for. Walt was the first name on a really short list of buiders in case of having the cash to go custom. I only wish it were disc specific. But V-brakes are quite ok. At least in dry condition. And I was able to use a lot of parts for the build, I already had from a former bike.

It looks and feels like a well worn out levis jeans. Nothing shine bling bling but quality and something I´m comfortable with.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah Marty. Thanks again for the help.

I still try to forget the process of removing the seatpost. It was horrible to look but a skilled mechanic without nerves helped me out of that. All in all the dealing was kinda fun. Tiramisu for the mechanic, dark brew for you Marty (I´m pretty sure you mean Köstritzer Schwarzbier, right?)

Heidelberg is still on the list. Are you going to stay there?

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
pooka said:
I´ve been lurking here ´bout ... well definitly to long, until I put my hands on the waltworks frame set, sherpaxc was selling via classified few weeks ago. I decided to give 29er a serious try. Well. I´m´in. I don´t know, if it has anything to do with 29er in general, but that rig definitly rocks. I still like my kiddie wheeled bike, but I already started to call it "kiddie wheeled" ;) Probably I´m going to be one of you maniacs:D

Here is the bike, as selled, built up, ridden and kinda abused And this is hopefully just the beginnig of a long rooty rocky friendship.

Thanks a lot Walt, for building such a good bike.
And thanks a lot sherpaxc for the great deal.
Ausgezeichnet!

Viel Spass....

Are you running tubes with those Racing Ralphs (I hope you are)?

BB

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
seat_boy said:
What's the thumbshifter for?

Eric
shifting between different gears with my thumb. :cool:
I rode singlespeed exclusively the last 1,5 years. I like it alot, but shifting isn´t that stupid I begin to realise. No plans to single my babyblue yet. I ride 1x 6 on a 8speed base with an old suntour xc-pro shifter and a DMR chainguide. works really fine and this 6speed setup feels like additional singlespeding:thumbsup:

As for the tyres: The 2.25 Racing Ralphes do a great job on Salsa Delgado cross rims. Light but burly setup for me. I combine them with Michelin 26er Latex tubes. But I see what you mean Bruce Brown. The Racing Ralph isn´t very tight fitting on that rim.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Pooka,
Your bikes 'fat little sister' sends her love from Colorado................

smurfette on donner trailside_resize.jpg

I mean 'big boned' actually.
enjoy the trails.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
few things in a "growing up" meaning

Nice fat sister you got mrsalty. best wishes from relative abroad.

The babyblue walt and me, we got close friends through variuos longer rides in desert dry conditions, in soaking wet conditions,on all days rides and beautyful singletrack heavens, we even went to a skatepark, than again I got that abuse-feeling and thought about it a second time ...

It may be time for a kinda very personal sort of review. As you can see in the pic, it corners like... like... well it corners fast and stable. I´m´able to flick the bike around with ease, when a windy trail gets tight & trees come close suprisingly fast. And when the going gets tough, this bike brings me out of the trouble as fast as it gets me in ;)
To mimic a real review, I have to note some downsides, right? Well. It is a little to flexy sometimes. On fast gravel road downhills it definitly could feel more stable and solid. But anyway. I´m neither a highspeed freak nor a fan of to much gravel road riding. But this is the downside for a really comfy ride. Oh, and this fragile looking little fork is working... hell... it soaks the small bumps and still offers very precise steering but you have to avoid looking down on brake load. :eekster: This thing is movin back like crazy...

And again, coming from a 26er rigid singlespeed, nothing feels wrong. Neither big wheels nor the little more gearing. There seems to be something right about this 29er mythologies.

Instead, I ended up, with putting a 29er front wheel to my little singlespeed, for I couldn´t stand looking at the small front wheel anymore.

It was just meant as an experimental, but it is going to stay. tested in competition and pleassure rides, 69 is goin to last.

But strangely, despide everything seems to lead me to bigger wheels, I ended up ordering a 26inch all mountain hardtail frame and I´m exited like a 6years old on christmas to build up a little wheeled beast for gnarly stuff, and maybe for no more "abuse-feeling", when playing big bike with my waltworks. You shouldn´t show off with a knife, when invited to a gun fight or how does that saying goes...?

b.asti

1 - 16 of 16 Posts