Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a couple of updated photos of my ScottUSA/Team Ritchey with a few changes since I last posted some pics. It now has XT brake levers,Specialized wheelset,Mythos XC tires,an old Sella Italia Flite and other minor work. I took it out for a spin in the neighborhood and rolled down some stairs at a nearby elementary school,just feeling the bouncy bounce of the 2" of travel. I lost 60 pounds since I first bought this bike and I could feel a huge difference. I felt like a kid again,bunny hopping over whatever I could find. I little boy in a bmx with training wheels and a huge helmet just stared at me.On the way home,a serious looking young guy on a Santa Cruz FS came alongside me checking out the bike and he started to sprint away.I just rolled my eyes and chased after him.We had a little drag race going.The bike didn't let me down nor did my legs and lungs. I dropped him.When he caught up (I let him;) )He smiled and gave me the finger. I guess that meant 'wow you're fast'...maybe. It was a good day. Sorry for the bad cell-phone photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
glad to hear you had such a good ride! 60lbs huh? thats frickin awesome. congrats on being American and not perpetually growing. the bike looks great. i wanna see this at Keyesville next year :cool:

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
60#, wow, now you really are Built4Speed! I too like to 'run down' the vane folks and when they see that they have been bested by a fella on a single speed, that's a great feeling.

Just the other day, on my commute home, I ran down a roadie. I think he was on a Colnago, but it could have been something else. Maybe I imagined the yellow clover. While I am not pushing a huge gear (40/17), I do have full-knobbed, dirt tires (WTB Velociraptor rr, IRC Mythos ft) on all of my bikes. It helps keep me sane. Anyhoo, the look in his eyes when I passed him and then sprinted off up a pretty steep hill was very satisfying.

Glad to hear of your path to better health. Oh, and also, great looking Ritchey!! I have never seen a soft tail with that design...and the Scott fork, wow!

·
artistic...
7,634 Posts
loonyOne said:
60#, wow, now you really are Built4Speed! I too like to 'run down' the vane folks and when they see that they have been bested by a fella on a single speed, that's a great feeling.

Just the other day, on my commute home, I ran down a roadie. I think he was on a Colnago, but it could have been something else. Maybe I imagined the yellow clover. While I am not pushing a huge gear (40/17), I do have full-knobbed, dirt tires (WTB Velociraptor rr, IRC Mythos ft) on all of my bikes. It helps keep me sane. Anyhoo, the look in his eyes when I passed him and then sprinted off up a pretty steep hill was very satisfying.

Glad to hear of your path to better health. Oh, and also, great looking Ritchey!! I have never seen a soft tail with that design...and the Scott fork, wow!
don't be silly... leave the roadie bashing on the other forums please.. we all ride all kinds of bikes here.

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
colker1 said:
don't be silly... leave the roadie bashing on the other forums please.. we all ride all kinds of bikes here.
Uhm, wasn't "roadie bashing"...just sharing something akin to what Built4Speed had inked onto this cyber notepad. Maybe the fella didn't know I was behind him, or his dog died, or his gout was flaring up, or maybe wasn't trying to race me...who knows. It felt good to me. He could have been riding Pedro's fricking Sledgehammer for all I care, that's not what it was about. Actually, it would have felt better had he been one of the local 'better than thou' types that ride only the newest, most expensive mountain bikes, and race every weekend. I was, in fact, riding my 1990 Trek, with about 85% original components, so the content was allowable in this "Vintage, Retro, Classic" forum, in my opine.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
loonyOne said:
Uhm, wasn't "roadie bashing"...
Hehe, I was thinking that too. Taking knobbies up against skinnies on their own ground isn't bashing... but it IS something to brag about. Not easily done. Especially on an SS. Especially on THAT SS. Very cool ya lunatic.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to hear of your path to better health. Oh, and also, great looking Ritchey!! I have never seen a soft tail with that design...and the Scott fork, wow![/QUOTE]

It's actually 1992/93 Scott CST duelie that was raced in 1993 by Thomas Frischknacht when he raced for Ritchey,which explains the paint and decals.1994 is when Team Ritchey brought out their own softtail to race the '94 season. At least that's what I figured out.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buddy,it's gonna be there!

vdubbusrider said:
glad to hear you had such a good ride! 60lbs huh? thats frickin awesome. congrats on being American and not perpetually growing. the bike looks great. i wanna see this at Keyesville next year :cool:
And of course,I'll let Fillet-brazed give it a try. :D

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was once a roadie.

Master Shake said:
Hehe, I was thinking that too. Taking knobbies up against skinnies on their own ground isn't bashing... but it IS something to brag about. Not easily done. Especially on an SS. Especially on THAT SS. Very cool ya lunatic.
I want a vintage Colnago or Rossin.I once had a Bottachia back in 1990 right after Lemond won the Tour de France. I need a bigger garage. Still,it's great to race a roadie and smoke em too. :p

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roadies need love too.

loonyOne said:
Uhm, wasn't "roadie bashing"...just sharing something akin to what Built4Speed had inked onto this cyber notepad. Maybe the fella didn't know I was behind him, or his dog died, or his gout was flaring up, or maybe wasn't trying to race me...who knows. It felt good to me. He could have been riding Pedro's fricking Sledgehammer for all I care, that's not what it was about. Actually, it would have felt better had he been one of the local 'better than thou' types that ride only the newest, most expensive mountain bikes, and race every weekend. I was, in fact, riding my 1990 Trek, with about 85% original components, so the content was allowable in this "Vintage, Retro, Classic" forum, in my opine.
One time,I was riding my 92 Stumpjumper with LX and XT with a 44 chainring and 11t rear cog,with UmmaGummas pumped up to 50 psi and this hardcore roadie on a Trek OCLVcame up behind me,drafted me for a few seconds and whipped around and pulled away. I was 239lbs at the time riding a bike that was a bit small so I bet he's thinking 'fat and slow'. Instinct kicked in and before he knew it,I was right up to his rear tire and he couldn't shake me. And to make it even,I was on his left so I really wasn't drafting. I slingshotted around him and dropped him. He pulled up next to me just tripping that I could ride the bike the way I did.I told him I'd give him more of a fight if I wasn't limited to a 44t chainring.I was just spinning the damn thing,like what 110rpm...who knows.
We ended up riding together for another two miles pulling each other.It was cool.
So yeah, smoking a roadie with a vintage mountain bike is something to brag about...but it's not bashing. ;)

·
Unicycles are for clowns
329 Posts
Nice

That is an awesome build! Always thought a Ritchey soft tail would be a sweet ride. Did you have it repainted, and if so, by whom? Thanks for sharing the photos. :D

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
kuna said:
That is an awesome build! Always thought a Ritchey soft tail would be a sweet ride. Did you have it repainted, and if so, by whom? Thanks for sharing the photos. :D
I had a Ritchey made Ritchey ST (softtail) and I disliked it....sold it for a P-21.
That thing would pogo big time and buck you a bit. Plus I also heard that they were in danger of cracking as steel doesn't have the fatigue life that Ti does.

Here's a good thread of a bunch of Ritchey bikes:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=823&highlight=ritchey+soft

Now B4S's Ritchey is Scott made. I also recall Clark Kent bikes having the same design.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ritchey painted the frame back in '93

kuna said:
Not Tom,I guess the team mechanic. It was painted over the Scott's very badly painted,non primered white and silver paint scheme.Good thing he clear coated it because it held up better than my other CST. I applied the Ritchey decals. I couldn't find Scott decals so the Ritchey decals made more sense with the team paint.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rumpfy said:
Yeah, but if he decides to ride away with it, I don't think there's anyone here that can catch him besides maybe Kuna. ;)
I can catch him. I always wanted to know what it was like to chase after my own bike with my other bike. ;)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clark Kent developed the CTS back in 1991...

Rumpfy said:
I had a Ritchey made Ritchey ST (softtail) and I disliked it....sold it for a P-21.
That thing would pogo big time and buck you a bit. Plus I also heard that they were in danger of cracking as steel doesn't have the fatigue life that Ti does.

Here's a good thread of a bunch of Ritchey bikes:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=823&highlight=ritchey+soft

Now B4S's Ritchey is Scott made. I also recall Clark Kent bikes having the same design.
With ScottUSA. It's built with Ritchey Logic tubing and rear drop-outs.Of course it seemed like Ritchey Logic tubes were in all kinds of bikes like Bridgestones,Univegas and others.
You're right about the pogoing Rumpfy.This thing leaps high when I hit a small bump which is actually cool.At least a few inches higher than a rigid.It's a comfortable ride too.I can adjust pre-load for the rear shock.
The two frames have held up at Grant Ranch's Hotel trail under me.I'm more worried about the Scott Unishock fork.Very hard to find.
Hard to believe this was a downhill bike.Now it's more like a softtail.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Built4Speed said:
I can catch him.
You sure about that.
;) :D

On my softtail, it was just a coil...no dampening or preload. At least you can fiddle with the set up a bit on yours!

I look forward to seeing that bike in person though.

I'm always out flogging a vintage bike, so whenever you want to go ride, let me know.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Built4Speed said:
With ScottUSA. It's built with Ritchey Logic tubing and rear drop-outs.Of course it seemed like Ritchey Logic tubes were in all kinds of bikes like Bridgestones,Univegas and others.
You're right about the pogoing Rumpfy.This thing leaps high when I hit a small bump which is actually cool.At least a few inches higher than a rigid.It's a comfortable ride too.I can adjust pre-load for the rear shock.
The two frames have held up at Grant Ranch's Hotel trail under me.I'm more worried about the Scott Unishock fork.Very hard to find.
Hard to believe this was a downhill bike.Now it's more like a softtail.
Hey if you guys hook up and ride, Rumpfy could take that other CST off your hands for you. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.