Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my buddy and I have started riding since we both picked up some mountain bikes this season and we are both suffering.

He got some bike shorts which he said helped a lot but he now gets chaffing instead.

So is a solution new seats? Or is this something that you get used to?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Brambled said:
So my buddy and I have started rising since we both picked up some mountain bikes this season and we are both suffering.

He got some bike shorts which he said helped a lot but he now gets chaffing instead.

So is a solution new seats? Or is this something that you get used to?
You could try wearing padded tights under your baggy shorts. I do that and have no pain or chafing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Saddle needs to be level or the nose tilted down a hair. Shoot for level first.

Most important is to find a seat that fits your big butt or little butt. Nobody can help you with that. You just have to try out a lot of them. You can't possibly pick a saddle that's right for you by reading reviews. Price absolutely does not guarantee a comfortable one either. I have about 6 brand new saddles that don't fit.

A good pair of shorts is a must and will help but they can't make up for an ill fitting saddle. For me, spandex shorts are best. If you prefer baggies then make sure the liner fits as tight as spandex shorts. A lot of people wear shorts over their spandex so they don't look geeky. Me,I don't give a *****, as long as my a$$ feels good, I'm happy. LOL.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
It takes a while for 'bicycle-butt' to ease up. It takes longer for some than others. That said, if it doesn't go away or at least ease up after a month of riding a few times a week, you may not be fully compatible with your saddle. It took me a long time (more than a year of riding several times a week) before pain from my saddle was no longer an issue.

Bike shorts help. They wick away moisture and are designed so they won't chafe your undercarriage. I have to wonder about your friend that is getting chafed since he started wearing shorts. Does he know that you're not supposed to wear underwear with cycling shorts?

Sometimes, cycling shorts don't agree with everybody and supercheap cycling shorts have a cheap chamois (the padded 'diaper') and they don't work quite as well as some of the more expensive ones do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeffj said:
Does he know that your not supposed to wear underwear with cycling shorts?
I think this is the issue. I haven't bought a pair yet but I asked him if the are like compression shorts and he said yes. So I was like why are you wearing boxers underneath them lol.

Maybe once he loses the boxers his chaffing will ease up.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If a saddle fits well enough, padded shorts are not even necessary. I found one this past fall. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy it because it was on a GT demo bike. I only rode it for 1/2 hour but that was enough time to realize it was the perfect saddle for me. There was only a brand name (Fizik) on it , no model.

When I brought the bike back to the GT Trailer, they asked me how I liked the bike and I told them it was ok but I've never felt a saddle anywhere near as comfortable as this one. They couldn't even tell me the model. I guess it was made by Fizik for GT. WTF! A once in a lifetime find and I can't buy one? I already have one Fizik and it feels like crap.

Does anyone have a 2011GT Sensor, the high end model, who's willing to sell their saddle? I'll pay 100.00 for it as long as it's in good shape - no rips or frayed edges.

Thanks for starting this thread. I will now go on a quest to find one of these "perfect" GT saddles.

My daughter just went through the same thing as you this past summer. One hour of riding made her so sore she had to take two days off before she could ride again. I bought her high quality shorts and it got a little better. but not much. I let her try out 5 of my saddles but they were all pretty much the same. I'm thinking women have wider sit bones then men. So I measured the width of my saddles and found they were all between 5&6" wide at the back. I went to Dick's sporting goods and picked up a comfort road bike saddle which was about 7" wide at the back. That did it! She could now ride 2 days in a row with absolutely no pain! She even rode one day without padded shorts. She felt a little discomfort without the padding but said it wasn't bad.

Before you go out buying saddles, make sure your current saddle is NOT tilted back. Even a very slight back tilt can cause a lot of pain. The longer the ride, the more it hurts.

If your bike fits you properly and saddle tilt is correct and you're still sore after a month of riding, DUMP the saddle.

Sorry for writing a short story. I just got so excited about that perfect GT saddle. LOL

·
Registered
788 Posts
Brambled said:
I think this is the issue. I haven't bought a pair yet but I asked him if the are like compression shorts and he said yes. So I was like why are you wearing boxers underneath them lol.

Maybe once he loses the boxers his chaffing will ease up.
Wow. Yeah no boxers, I can't imagine the pain....

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
bigbeck said:
If a saddle fits well enough, padded shorts are not even necessary. I found one this past fall. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy it because it was on a GT demo bike. I only rode it for 1/2 hour but that was enough time to realize it was the perfect saddle for me. There was only a brand name (Fizik) on it , no model.

When I brought the bike back to the GT Trailer, they asked me how I liked the bike and I told them it was ok but I've never felt a saddle anywhere near as comfortable as this one. They couldn't even tell me the model. I guess it was made by Fizik for GT. WTF! A once in a lifetime find and I can't buy one? I already have one Fizik and it feels like crap.

Does anyone have a 2011GT Sensor, the high end model, who's willing to sell their saddle? I'll pay 100.00 for it as long as it's in good shape - no rips or frayed edges.

Thanks for starting this thread. I will now go on a quest to find one of these "perfect" GT saddles.

Sorry for writing a short story. I just got so excited about that perfect GT saddle. LOL
Check out the Gobi models.

According to BikePedia (dotcom) GT has used WTB saddles for all but the cheapest Sensor models for the past two years, but it looks like they did use the Fizik Gobi saddles on some other higher end models. Since it was a demo bike it could have had a saddle swapped somewhere along the line.

http://www.fizik.it/products_mtbsaddles.aspx

·
Registered
555 Posts
jeffj said:
Check out the Gobi models.

According to BikePedia (dotcom) GT has used WTB saddles for all but the cheapest Sensor models for the past two years, but it looks like they did use the Fizik Gobi saddles on some other higher end models. Since it was a demo bike it could have had a saddle swapped somewhere along the line.

http://www.fizik.it/products_mtbsaddles.aspx
It was actually a 2010 Sensor 1.0, not a 2011 as I previously stated. They had about 5 or 6 of these bikes with the same saddles on each - and the saddles were not WTB as the website shows. I just got the phone number of the bike shop that was in charge of this demo. Hopefully,they can shed some light on this.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/archive-1/2010/sensor-1-0

It's a very nice bike - for the terrain that I was riding. Twisty, roller coaster hardpack with stream crossings and some roots ( on the short steep climbs,of course - where else would they be?:) Funny, after the short demo ride, a couple of guys commented that I looked comfortable on that bike. I was actually pushing the bike pretty hard because they were behind me and gaining on me. Just the comfort of the saddle alone, made me want to buy that bike.:D

Thanks for that link. Although I'm not 100% sure it was the Gobi,however, it does look familiar.

Currently, my most comfortable saddle is a WTB SST Race-lite. Long discontinued, I bought it at PricePoint,probably 4 years ago, on a closeout special for 15.00. Go figure

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
WASH your shorts after every ride, or get more then one pair, and don't wear underwear. Get a good saddle, I've got a Fizik Alainte XM that was comfortable from day one. Before you buy a saddle read reviews above on MTBR reviews,

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
Cool Try the Gamma XM Aliante by Fizik, you won't have to take it off, its that good, read the reviews above on MTBR reviews, I think all the reviews were great..

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
bing! said:
Do people use shammy butter on synthetic shammys? I dont know any better, but in my youth, I remember we'd put that stuff on real shammy leather.

Just wondering.
I have with no ill effects . I wash them every ride though , with or with out . Anyone else ?

·
Registered
555 Posts
manabiker said:
Cool Try the Gamma XM Aliante by Fizik, you won't have to take it off, its that good, read the reviews above on MTBR reviews, I think all the reviews were great..
Yeah, the LBS has the Aliante road version in stock that I can try. The MTB version that you mentioned is the same except it has some kevlar on it.

I take many reviews with a grain of salt. Especially saddle reviews. There's just too many different a$$es out there. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.