Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my first real trail today at Quicksilver in Almaden (South San Jose). Since I don't have a mountain bike short, I decided to go commando style with my O'Neill surf shorts and wore REI's OXT Tech T-shirt. Riding back home, my arse began to kill. :mad:

My only reason for foregoing my road kit is that I felt silly wearing bib on a mountain bike. It just seemed out of place. Am I being strange here?

I've notice that most people seem to wear a "normal" looking short when riding mountain bike.

What do you guys wear?

·
local jackass
931 Posts
i wear bibs and a jersey just as i would on my roadie but if its not insainly hot i wear shorts over my spandex

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I wear the same kit that I wear on my road bike .

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
I'm in the minority (I assume), but I think roadies look ridiculous in their full body tights. A lot of the padded mtb shorts are cargoes, from what I've seen. Don't go out on the trails dressed like a roadie.

·
Registered
49 Posts
there are underliners.. basically underwear with padding.. can wear shorts over them...

also.. maybe you should look into a new saddle.. my ass use to kill me until i picked up a WTB Rocket V... i'll never own another saddle

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,888 Posts
I sometimes wear a bib for mountain bike riding. Better than no proper riding shorts. Wear what works. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to look. Other people (especially grown men) shouldn't be that concerned with what you're wearing anyway.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I use "normal" shorts or pants but mainly ride singlespeed: out of the saddle a lot. Most others seem to use spandex shorts or baggy shorts with padding somewhere in there.

"If it hurts when you do that ... don't do it", said a school doctor when I complained about knee pains ...

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
The liner in mountain bike shorts is basically road shorts, but sometimes cheaper.

Just throw something on over your road shorts. Or don't.

·
local jackass
931 Posts
who cares if u wear spandex or not im more than comfortale enough to wear it

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Most "baggies" are a combination of a loose outer short with pockets, etc, and an inner spandex short with padded liner - really a lightweight roadie spandex short. It's pretty standard mtb wear. Around where I ride, I see more a lot more baggies than roadie spandex.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts